Minnesota Twins New Identity

Zooropeanx

3 hours ago, dont care said:

I think the bottom pic is the swoosh

I hope so, because the TC logo on the chest would be underwhelming. The red alternate jersey has proven that the TC logo is better as a cap logo, but not strong enough as a chest logo. That red jersey has always felt unbalanced and bland. Hoping for red + white lettering on the navy jersey(s).

• Like 3

12 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Assuming the font in the announcement video is what they go with (which seems reasonable: compare the T's to the logo T, and the serifs on the C and 3 match the serifs on the 2009 Twins wordmark) and that Buxton isn't wearing a blank jersey and the neck is bare:

kzXgsd7.png

xAuDlTd.png

Or some permutation of red/blue numbers/script, +/- the front number. Some version of the Minnesota logo on the sleeve.

I hope they don’t go with that as the number font. It’s not a good font for sports numbers. It’s like the brewers times new Roman font they use to have.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Kg54mvp said:

Pins on just the away would seem odd to me, especially if they are looking for a more consistent set of uniforms. Which is one of the biggest issues with the now old set. Consistency!

It would seem odd to everyone. Pins on the home and none on the road isn't unusual, but the other way round is practically unheard of.

25 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

It would seem odd to everyone. Pins on the home and none on the road isn't unusual, but the other way round is practically unheard of.

Only "modern" example I can think of is late '90s Pirates (note the one on the bottom left isn't from that era, as you can see by the sleeve patch - but it's pretty much impossible to find embeddable images that show both jerseys from that era in the same photo.)

97793a_lg.jpeg

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I hope they don’t go with that as the number font. It’s not a good font for sports numbers. It’s like the brewers times new Roman font they use to have.

I actually really like this number font. I'm all for teams who use standard block numbers moving away from that and trying something more distinctive. I've even warmed to the idea of the White Sox adopting their City Connect Blackletter style numbers across the rest of their jerseys. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I actually really like this number font. I'm all for teams who use standard block numbers moving away from that and trying something more distinctive. I've even warmed to the idea of the White Sox adopting their City Connect Blackletter style numbers across the rest of their jerseys. 

The Twins are the lone team left using the serifed "mlb block" font. It's basically a noticeable part of their identity. I cannot see them, nor do I want them to, switch away form it. And I don't think they will.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Overall I agree, but every recent MLB rebrand has had a custom number font. The 1 looks very similar to their current 1, and the aforementioned matching serifs.

Ovzc5sg.png 

What's interesting is that in some aspects it's similar to the Wild's Winter Classic font. Compare the L's and the E's. But the Wild kept the block aesthetic versus smoothing things out. I'm sure the justification will be the smooth curves "match" the script better.

Minnesota Wild 2022 Winter Classic Jersey Any Player Any - Etsy

10 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Overall I agree, but every recent MLB rebrand has had a custom number font. The 1 looks very similar to their current 1, and the aforementioned matching serifs.

Ovzc5sg.png 

In what ways does the block 1 look similar to the new font 1? 

Why does this new font feel familiar? Related to Friz Quadrata? Kinda has a late 2000s Dbacks feel to it. Idk. 

And I would presume the Twins would use the navy numbers outlined in red for the homes...just to get it away from the Guardians' look a bit. 

Finally - I think the Royals just used MLB block for their new jerseys, not a custom font. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 11/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, pluggerplugger1 said:

The Twins just posted this brief clip to Twitter - you can presumably see a few close-ups of the new uniforms. Interesting font choice on "November 18" as well at the end. I wonder if that's incorporated into the rebrand or just a new font for socials.

EDIT: The second tweet I embedded gives a little bit more. Looking like no pinstripes on the home white uniform, with a possible Minnesota outline logo on the sleeve.

23 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

LzNwnJ5.png

From the fabric texture and stitching I think this is the left corner of the C on the cap; TC stays and no mustard.

fPUzpvs.png

Possibly the corner of a name? Doubt they would go solid navy logo or numbers. Pinstripe-less white jersey.

CiRlWOB.png

White jersey sleeve piping.

a2DnIAQ.png

Initially thought this was a navy script with red outlines, but the texture makes me think it's a navy alternate (also matches what Buxton is wearing in the video).

Still a question of what scripts they use and in which colors, ditto with the numbers.

I’m really liking all of the teases I’m seeing so far. The white jersey dropping the gold from the stripes (which appear like they will be thicker, too) looks to be an immediate and significant upgrade. 

It looks like Buxton is probably wearing the new navy alternate as well, seeing as it has a red Nike swoosh. I’m not aware of any of the other navy jerseys in the league going with a red swoosh.

19 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Assuming the font in the announcement video is what they go with (which seems reasonable: compare the T's to the logo T, and the serifs on the C and 3 match the serifs on the 2009 Twins wordmark) and that Buxton isn't wearing a blank jersey and the neck is bare:

kzXgsd7.png

xAuDlTd.png

Or some permutation of red/blue numbers/script, +/- the front number. Some version of the Minnesota logo on the sleeve.

If this is how the jersey turns out (which it seems like it likely will be), it would immediately become my favorite Twins home jersey of all time. I’d hope for the top variant with navy letters, but would not be upset at all with the bottom option, either. Either one of them would be a major upgrade over the outgoing home look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Has anyone attempted to create a version of the classic (or updated) script "Twins" with a tail under the "win"?

Doing that would underline the whole word, right? That loses the effect of Win Twins, which was previously on the Minnie and Paul patch.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Has anyone attempted to create a version of the classic (or updated) script "Twins" with a tail under the "win"?

I've tried it a few times in the past, but it's never really looked right to me. Here's an updated attempt:

TyK0z4s.png

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Applause 6