NHL Alternate Series — DAL, OTT, & TBL 1/2

DTConcepts

Hey all! Welcome back to another hockey series of mine. In an attempt to kickstart my creative juices, I've spent the last couple weeks sporadically designing alternate jerseys for all 32 NHL teams. Each post will feature a different team's jersey in no particular order, along with design rationale to explain why I made the design choices I did. I'll be posting them here as I complete them, with this first post acting as a sort of hub for the series. The list below will be updated with direct links to each team's jersey as I complete them.

Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins - Buffalo Sabres - Detroit Red Wings - Florida Panthers - Montreal Canadiens - Ottawa Senators - Tampa Bay Lightning - Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan Division

Carolina Hurricanes - Columbus Blue Jackets - New Jersey Devils - New York Islanders - New York Rangers - Philadelphia Flyers - Pittsburgh Penguins - Washington Capitals

Central Division

Arizona Coyotes - Chicago Blackhawks - Colorado Avalanche (V2)- Dallas Stars - Minnesota Wild - Nashville Predators - St. Louis Blues - Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division

Anaheim Ducks - Calgary Flames - Edmonton Oilers - Los Angeles Kings - San Jose Sharks - Seattle Kraken - Vancouver Canucks - Vegas Golden Knights

Thanks for reading through this big, long intro post. Without further ado, let's get into the series!

Starting us off is my hometown team, the Colorado Avalanche!

3p8ORaT.png

This jersey is primarily inspired by two things: The old Colorado Rockies' uniforms and the Avs' second Reverse Retro. While the Avalanche's current alternate is perfectly serviceable, I'd really like to see the team lean more into the state flag imagery, which is what I did here. The team's current mountain striping takes a more traditional pattern here, acting as a modernized version of the Rockies' old jerseys. The Colorado State Motto adorns the inside of the collar, reading "NIL SINE NUMINE" — or "NOTHING WITHOUT PROVIDENCE."

What are your thoughts? Any changes or tweaks I should make?

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Starting us off is my hometown team, the Colorado Avalanche!

3p8ORaT.png

This jersey is primarily inspired by two things: The old Colorado Rockies' uniforms and the Avs' second Reverse Retro. While the Avalanche's current alternate is perfectly serviceable, I'd really like to see the team lean more into the state flag imagery, which is what I did here. The team's current mountain striping takes a more traditional pattern here, acting as a modernized version of the Rockies' old jerseys. The Colorado State Motto adorns the inside of the collar, reading "NIL SINE NUMINE" — or "NOTHING WITHOUT PROVIDENCE."

What are your thoughts? Any changes or tweaks I should make?

While this looks really cool; only change I would propose is using the darker blue like the Avs reverse retro. It just feels like it fits their branding more

ZUH86xc.png

20 hours ago, johne9109 said:

While this looks really cool; only change I would propose is using the darker blue like the Avs reverse retro. It just feels like it fits their branding more

Not a bad idea at all. I gave it a shot, and I think it looks fantastic.

ocKpaB5.png

Great suggestion. What do you think?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Alternate Series — Colorado Avalanche Update 11/30

Up next is the Arizona Coyotes!

iL6FOQd.png

Both of the Coyotes' historical alternates have been sharp departures from the team's brand -- one modern and one on peyote. Rather than being experimental like those jerseys, I wanted this design to feel like a natural extension of the Coyotes' current brand. Resultingly, the design balances traditional design norms with the out-of-the-box identity the Coyotes have. The striping pattern is traditional, the kachina pattern is reigned in, the base is purple, and the lizard returns in a balance between existing design standards and the Yotes' identity.

• Like 7

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Alternate Series — The lizard returns! Arizona Coyotes 12/4

Onto the next one with the New York Islanders!

ZWHBi7j.png

This design is my attempt at Long-Islanding the team's maligned Brooklyn jerseys. The four stripes obviously stick around, but everything else is changed. The name and number font are made more traditional while still being modern, the NY logo is tweaked to the modernized version, a recolored lighthouse finds a home on the shoulders, and the overall color scheme is changed to match the team's brand. I played around with using blue and white versions of this jersey, but I liked how the orange popped against the blue, so I stuck with it.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

• Like 6

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Alternate Series — It's *ON* Long Island! New York Islanders 12/7

Up next is the Los Angeles Kings!

qgQ3EQc.png

This jersey was designed to be a soft rebrand, sort of like the Kings' 2008 alternate. The Kings have had more distinctly different visual brands than most teams in the league, and this jersey tries to tie them all together while staying true to the team's current identity. The jersey crest meshes the Gretzky-era logo with the Kings' current wordmark, the sunglasses-wearing lion from the Kings' Y2K brand makes an appearance on the shoulders, and the Kings' inaugural shade of forum blue returns to the color palette.

How do you feel about these?

• Like 3

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Alternate Series — Return of the sunglasses-wearing lion😎 Los Angeles Kings 12/12

Happy Monday y'all. I've got a double post for you today, with two teams included.

First off is the Columbus Blue Jackets. This concept is a tweaked version of a previous Blue Jackets rebrand I designed, and therefore I didn't feel that it warranted its own post. It's a fun concept and I'd still like to see the Jackets use something like this someday.

Svios9x.png

Alright, the second team I've got to post today is the Boston Bruins, who I designed a fun little fauxback for.

8DuCm4y.jpg

I like the fauxback look the Bruins have taken up with their current alternate jerseys, but think they're a little too dull. These jerseys fix that, reintroducing a gold jersey to the Bruins' rotation. The tweaked B logo is borrowed from the team's 25th anniversary jerseys in 1948, and the idea to put the meth bear logo on the arms was inspired by the Bruins' uniforms in the mid-1930s.

What do y'all think of these?

• Like 2

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Alternate Series — CBJ and the Big Bad B's 12/19

Love the bear head logo but I don't know it fits in with the jersey, especially on the arms. Maybe if it swapped places with the shoulder numbers? CBJ's good but how would it look with the light blue replaced with navy on the body for a more understated military uniform-esque look?

2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Alright, the second team I've got to post today is the Boston Bruins, who I designed a fun little fauxback for.

8DuCm4y.jpg

I like the fauxback look the Bruins have taken up with their current alternate jerseys, but think they're a little too dull. These jerseys fix that, reintroducing a gold jersey to the Bruins' rotation. The tweaked B logo is borrowed from the team's 25th anniversary jerseys in 1948, and the idea to put the meth bear logo on the arms was inspired by the Bruins' uniforms in the mid-1930s.

What do y'all think of these?

Only change I would suggest is swapping the bear and numbers; I get the reference and I appreciate it, but the bear being on the sleeves on this design makes the sleeves look too busy. Otherwise a great design and I agree that they should have a gold alternate

ZUH86xc.png

On 12/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, DTConcepts said:

Up next is the Los Angeles Kings!

qgQ3EQc.png

This jersey was designed to be a soft rebrand, sort of like the Kings' 2008 alternate. The Kings have had more distinctly different visual brands than most teams in the league, and this jersey tries to tie them all together while staying true to the team's current identity. The jersey crest meshes the Gretzky-era logo with the Kings' current wordmark, the sunglasses-wearing lion from the Kings' Y2K brand makes an appearance on the shoulders, and the Kings' inaugural shade of forum blue returns to the color palette.

How do you feel about these?

This is the best Kings jersey I've ever seen. And yes, I'd love a soft rebrand based on this....!

• Like 1

On to the next couple teams!

r4VJcv6.png

First up is the Dallas Stars. I really loved their Winter Classic jerseys from a few years ago, and would love to see them build on that fauxback identity. That's exactly what I did here, blending colors, logos, and striping patterns from jerseys past and present into this sharply classy uniform design.

3mD3C5B.png

Next is the Ottawa Senators. Much like what I did for the Kings, this jersey is meant to be an idealized version of a future Sens home jersey. Gold is utilized more in the color palette, the laurel pattern makes a return, and the Peace Tower logo makes an appearance on the shoulders. Note the nod to the original Senators on the inside of the collar, too.

tvuDgTz.png

The last jersey I have for y'all today is the Tampa Bay Lightning. This jersey found lots of inspiration in the team's old "Storm" alternates, as well as their current alternate jerseys. I wanted to incorporate the lightning from the storm jerseys in a more subtle way, and I figured this design was a good chance to do so. Take a look at the tweaked shoulder patches, too. They're a mix of multiple old secondary marks the team has used over the years.

What do you guys think of these designs? Good or bad? Any tweaks I should make?

• Like 1

• DTConcepts changed the title to NHL Alternate Series — DAL, OTT, & TBL 1/2