Idaho High School Hockey - The Conclusion

colinturner95

Would prefer to see the Spartans with black hems and the Greek pattern in the hem stripe. Besides that, the set is gorgeous! Love that third jersey.

Idk I'm not a diehard hockey fan or anything but I don't get the hate you're talking about for that Trojans alternate, it's really nice! I prefer that to the Rangers styling of the primary set, even though it's solid too. Would be fun to have the script appear on one of the jerseys too.

No complaints about Lewiston.

I really love that Lakeland set; makes me wish the North Stars had had a sleeve-length yoke jersey. Only suggestion would be to ditch the outermost white logo outline.

Not about the lack of hem striping for Moscow. Also feel like the logo, which is excellent, might be better served by having the "Bears" text replaced with Moscow on the road, and ditching the text above it altogether. Lastly, I do think the MHS monogram is a bit of a downgrade from the original.

Same thought for Lake City; the set is completely gorgeous except for the mismatched hem stripe on the alternate (which is so good it could be the primary, IMO!)

Anyways, good work!

I always appreciate the feedback!

On 2/7/2023 at 3:07 PM, vtgco said:

Would prefer to see the Spartans with black hems and the Greek pattern in the hem stripe. Besides that, the set is gorgeous! Love that third jersey.

VYaPDQg.png

I personally had thought it would have been a little much having the Greek pattern on the hem, but I think it ties together much better now. 

Idk I'm not a diehard hockey fan or anything but I don't get the hate you're talking about for that Trojans alternate, it's really nice! I prefer that to the Rangers styling of the primary set, even though it's solid too. Would be fun to have the script appear on one of the jerseys too.

bnsOWYg.png

So here's the full set based on the alternate.  Honestly might be better than the initial set I posted. In this case, the orange jersey gets the Trojans script on it now. 

3m6DQqZ.png htekHxd.png

For reference, this was my concept I based Post Falls' (original) alternate on. Much better executed almost 6 years later now. 

I really love that Lakeland set; makes me wish the North Stars had had a sleeve-length yoke jersey. Only suggestion would be to ditch the outermost white logo outline.

I'm gonna stick with the outline on Lakeland. It brings the logos off the colored jerseys just a touch more, even though the black does contrast pretty well enough. 

Not about the lack of hem striping for Moscow. Also feel like the logo, which is excellent, might be better served by having the "Bears" text replaced with Moscow on the road, and ditching the text above it altogether. Lastly, I do think the MHS monogram is a bit of a downgrade from the original.

HtNaXlT.png

In this case, the stripe was too busy for the hem, so IMO the solid color hem works better here. Did change up the logos though, which looks good. And the MHS was pretty good beforehand, but it thought it would have looked a little too out of place compared to the logos and the number font. 

Same thought for Lake City; the set is completely gorgeous except for the mismatched hem stripe on the alternate (which is so good it could be the primary, IMO!)

pyzIV9R.png

Oh all right. Changed the hem stripe to match on the grey alternate. 

• Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Figured I could get one more team up before Super Bowl Sunday:

Qm0rMH6.png

Sandpoint is way up north in Idaho (though not as far up there as Bonners Ferry) and is a 4A powerhouse, though there's only a couple other 4A schools within 200 miles (in Idaho) so they fill their schedule with Washington and the occasional Montana schools. That aside, they were on the losing end of the state football championship during my last year in high school which is about the end of my interaction with the Bulldogs. 

Sandpoint Bulldogs - Logos: oh how to deal with the Bulldogs problem. You know, how every high school with the bulldogs nickname has had this as their logo? Yeah, and while I don't normally condone high schools using pro/collegiate logos, I did that here, using Gardner-Webb's recently rebranded Bulldog head as Sandpoint's new logo. Along with a sans-serif wide athletic font with a paw print replacing the 'o' in Sandpoint. 

a0l4YFM.png

Sandpoint Bulldogs - Uniforms: The Bulldogs keep things pretty simple when it comes to their uniforms in their respective sports (football | basketball | baseball) and I kept that trend intact. Opting for a Red Wings Winter Classic style uniform with a bold chest stripe and matching stripes on the jerseys, pants and socks. As for the alternate, which does break the trend a touch, that one is actually inspired by the building (I think its the school itself, could be the gym). With that in mind, an adapted stripe pattern makes its way around the uniforms, the full pattern on the chest and socks, an abridged version on the sleeves. All the uniforms use red helmets and gloves, home and away use red pants, alternate uses black shells. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Thanks for humoring my matchy-matchy suggestions :P

I understand the complex hem thing for Moscow; I guess another solution would be to add a black shoulder yoke on the red jersey (and red on the black jersey), since the home actually looks fine as-is. The new Moscow wordmark looks great!

Love the updated Post Falls look! And the Flyers set isn't half bad, but I agree you've improved it.

Also love what you've done for Sandpoint! I looked at those photos of the IRL team and I can't tell what's going on with those baseball cap logos lol... This set is a marked improvement.

Love that alternate especially; no complaints all around.

We've reached the end of the Inland Empire, with the last team up, the Timberlake Tigers:

sEapiYj.png

Timberlake can be found in the Lakeland school district, and to be completely honest with you, I didn't know anything about this school until I started doing this project. They've been open for close to 25 year now and are the smaller high school when compared to Lakeland. 

Timberlake Tigers - Logos: I like the use of the Detroit Tigers old "tiger-wrapping-around-a-letter" idea the school borrows and rolled with that. In a bit of an odd decision, I went with a more forward moving and futuristic wordmark, which doesn't get a lot of use but I liked the duality between the classic logo/font and the wordmark. 

1pgbg7k.png

Timberlake Tigers - Uniforms: So in a departure for me, but not anything unexpected, I don't remember my influences here for Timberlake. I originally had them in a recolored Mighty Ducks uniform, but I didn't like how it was turning out, and so I flipped it, going for the popular upper sleeve fill with stripes underneath them, a single color double stripe on the home and away uniforms, which is matched on the hem line. Main logo on all three uniforms, and the only real difference on the alternate is the double stripe becomes a full triple stripe. Gold helmets, navy gloves and pants. 

And as a bonus, in the spirit of things, I thought I'd run through a hypothetical district/conference tournament for every conference, ending with a hypothetical state tournament. mostly for fun for me and maybe someone here will get some enjoyment out of it: 

lAPzTMF.png

With some help from wheel spinners randomly assigning teams to high schools and NHL 23, we have our first conference tournament. (left score corresponds to top of bracket, right to bottom) 

• First Round - With the exception of Lakeland/Timberlake, all chalk, as the higher seeds advance in some exciting games. 
  • Quarter Finals - First round bye beware! None of the top seeds make it to the semifinals. 
  • Semi Finals - Timberlake's luck had to run out eventually, and Moscow tames CDA Charter
  • Finals - In a championship game with no scoring until the 3rd period, Moscow gets one more and claims the Inland Empire and the trip to Boise. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So one last bit for the Inland Empire and this is something I decided to do after I started this

L3Ztoef.png

After completing the IEL and seeing there's a lot of color overlap, and in one case, teams with the same basic color scheme, I wanted to track the color schemes across the conferences and divisions, just to see most used colors and things like that. Plus its a fun looking circle! So that's something you can now expect for every conference. and speaking of conferences: 

cLy7glq.png

OESoN0V.png

Next up is the Great Basin Conference! Mostly settled in the south-central region of Idaho, the majority of these teams fill in from the 4A and 3A classifications, and largely settle in around the Twin Falls metropolitan area. There are some notable geographical outliers in this conference: 

• Mountain Home sits just 45 minutes away from Boise so logically you'd think they'd play against the Boise area schools. While that did happen for a time, the Boise schools grew into the 5A classification and MH did not, and with the majority of the 4A schools in the Nampa area and further out, 45 minutes becomes closer to an hour 30 or longer. Plus the Boise area has added 3 high schools in the last 10 years so more and more competition is added closer, Mountain Home just fits better IMO in the Great Basin
  • Wood River HS serves the Sun Valley area which is the biggest town in the area. The closest competition in the area is 2A or lower which doesn't serve a 4A school well. But they do have a quick route down into Gooding and Jerome via highway 75/93. 
  • Preston is a curious case for me. Logically, they should play against the Pocatello/Idaho Falls schools. However, that metro area suffers from a similar problem as Boise: it's growing at a rapid pace. Because of that, Pokey and IF have both added new high schools in their districts. With that area's conference (High Country) already sitting at an even 12 teams, Preston gets sat in the Great Basin. 

First team up in the Great Basin coming up shortly!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Y1Gw2vr.png

1. Buhl Indians - Buhl, ID - Classification: 3A

I'm going to be honest with you. I was mentally getting Buhl confused with Bliss, ID. Bliss is a truck stop town, about hour and a half from where I live (for the next 3 days at least). They just recently got a McDonalds and I have to say, freshest French Fries i've ever had. But that is not Buhl. I should have known it wasn't Buhl. And after looking at a map, I can say that I've never been to Buhl. So that is the extent of what I know about Buhl. 

Buhl Indians - Logos: So Buhl will be the first of a few high schools in the south central section of Idaho that use the non-descript Indians as a nickname. So navigating that was certainly interesting but Buhl came prepped with their long-time logo which stays on unchanged, and a new wordmark joins the brand, along with a similarly styled number font. 

lQAR2Wq.png

Buhl Indians - Uniforms: As for the uniforms, I used the repeating nature of the headdress from the logo to create a striping pattern, found on the sleeves and shoulders of the home and away uniforms, with secondary, single color stripes on the hem and bottoms of the sleeves. Logo front and center on the home and away jerseys. The alternate gets a little more wild, if you wanna call it that, A larger solid stripe, with the same stripes, just now in single color underneath them. Logo moves to the shoulder, BUHL in the big chest stripe. Socks match their respective jerseys, solid black pants for all 3 uniforms, black helmets and black gloves with orange fingers. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 3 weeks later...

Im Back Baby Joey GIF - Im Back Baby Joey Joey Tribbiani - Discover & Share  GIFs\

After a week long drive, longer weekend stay with some friends, my wife and I are now technically Florida residents! And it took a lot longer than I would have hoped to have WiFi again. But all that is in the past and I'm back to posting here!

MlxbzhC.png

2. Burley Bobcats - Burley, ID - Classification: 4A

Burley is a great truck stop town. Like in all seriousness. It's the last major stop before you decide if you're going to Salt Lake City or eastward to Pocatello and Idaho Falls. But a great, growing place to stop for gas and lunch. And my old graphic design coworker's dad lives and drives truck from there. So that's cool. 

Burley Bobcats - Logos: Currently, Burley makes use of the Ohio Bobcats logo, which works, but I personally don't love. Rather than go with another bobcat logo, I opted for a scratched B logo, with three claw marks through the crossbar of the B. Ended up with a font pretty similar to the new NOB font for the Blue Jackets, which also extends to the number font. 

xXwvMKD.png

Burley Bobcats - Uniforms: You could call these a modern take on what the Flyers will be departing from after this season, okay, that's a bit of a stretch. But you get the idea, shoulder length stripes with a smaller stripe underneath it. B logo on the chests of the three jerseys. Socks match their jerseys. It was bound to happen eventually, white gloves for the uniforms, black helmets and pants. 

C&C welcome! I'll try not to be away as long this next time!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

y985aJf.png

3. Canyon Ridge Riverhawks - Est. 2009 - Twin Falls, ID - Classification: 4A

The youngest high school in the Great Basin, serving to take the heat off of Twin Falls HS' enrollment, I know nothing about this school. Another case of little overlap with my school, but I do, or did, have quite a few coworkers that were from the Twin Falls area that went to Canyon Ridge. 

Canyon Ridge Riverhawks - Logos: Right off the bat, I had an innate sense of the Atlanta Thrashers. So the school's existing logo sticks around, with a wordmark and number font set that was really similar to the old Atlanta Thrashers look. The school's football team has also been floating between using a medium shade of grey and a pretty dark shade, probably black. I chose to use a middle ground of that, combined with a not-quite shade of crimson. 

NSJyJBL.png

Canyon Ridge Riverhawks - Uniforms: Some of the Riverhawks' athletic teams have used a pointed, single color stripe. I turned that into a slanted, two color stripe on the sleeves of the three uniforms. On the home and away uniforms, the stripe looks like the Mighty Ducks uniforms hem stripe does in a way, Riverhawk logo on the chest. On the alternate uniform, it took me 15 teams, but we finally have a roundel logo. the hem stripe becomes a chest stripe, moving the Riverhawk to the shoulders. Socks match their sleeves. Grey helmet and pants, with a slanted stripe on the sides, crimson gloves.

C&C welcome!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1TFlj4q.png

4. Filer Wildcats - Est. 1922 - Filer, ID - Classification: 3A

Filer is a small town, in the Twin Falls metro area (if you can call it that), just west of the Junction for Highway 93. For those that don't know, if you want to shave an hour off of a trip to Vegas, and drive through the desolate parts of Nevada too. My uncle also lived there for some time, never finished the playroom upstairs in that house. As for athletics, they played a classification below my high school, so outside of personal reasons, Filer was just another town on the Idaho map for me. 

Filer Wildcats - Identity: For starters, I'm gonna try and flesh out schools more than I have been. So that should mean 2 logos and a wordmark, 3 logos, or something like that. For Filer in this case, they keep things very simple. They list blue as a color they use, but their teams barely use it all. So Filer is our first team to just use two colors exclusively. They also use a Wildcat logo sparingly but I liked it in place of the block letter F, because the Great Basin is full of letter logos. The Block F does stick around, as well as a script Filer wordmark. 

VtypdRl.png

Filer Wildcats - Uniforms: Sticking in line with the classic theme, very simple uniforms for Filer. Northwestern stripes around the sleeves and hem line. Wildcat logo on the chest, F on the shoulders. While nothing is inherently throwback about Filer, a throwback uniform did feel very fitting here. Still very on brand, northwestern stripes all around on a vintage white base, slightly offset chest stripe, Filer wordmark on the front. 

C&C welcome  on these and any of the other Great Basin teams!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

The Idaho Hockey RV rolls on.!

5. Gooding Senators - Est. 1913 - Gooding, ID - Classification: 3A

Gooding, Idaho: known for being home to a barrel cheese factory, the home of the Idaho School for the Deaf and Blind. The town itself was named for US Senator/Idaho Governor, Frank Gooding, who lent his name and profession to the high school.

I've only ever driven through the town, so I can't comment on the town itself. The high school competed a classification below mine so there's no interaction there. But back when I was an athlete, I had a good friend and teammate that lived in Gooding and commuted about an hour and a half both ways for hockey practice. 

aVVLiqq.png

Gooding Senators - Identity:  With one of the more unique nicknames in Idaho HS sports, I gave them, at least in my humble opinion, a much more befitting identity. They currently use a recolored version of EKU's logo. Unique, yes but doesn't fit with "Senators". Also, they use UA Falcon (or a pretty close variation) as a font, which clashes something fierce with the logo.

•  Primary Logo - Rather than lead with a Senators logo, I chose the classic, high school route, with a simple extended G letterform. 
  • Secondary Logo - With some help from a D2 college in West Virginia, and despite personal reservations, I borrowed a more befitting Senator looking logo and fit it into a roundel, which to me, gave more of a sense of "late 1800's - early 1900's" which fit better with the namesake for the high school. 
  • Wordmarks - Nothing super crazy, just a nice set of wordmarks, one "Senators", one "Sens. 

T59j0r8.png

Gooding Senators - Uniforms:

• Home - Away: With a nickname like the Senators, I felt that something similar to the NHL Senators would be befitting for the team. That said, didn't want to completely use their look, so it's not quite a barberpole look but it's something close.
    • Jerseys /Socks -  Like I said, barberpole but not quite. Skinny, repeating stripes on the sleeves, a simpler double stripe on the hem. G logo on the chest, Senator logo on the shoulders. Socks match the sleeves with the bevy of stripes. 
    • Equipment - Black for the gloves, helmets and pants. Gloves have red fingers, helmet has the SENS script on the side and the pants match the hem with the double stripe around the legs. 
  • Alternate
    • Jersey/Socks - A similar idea with the stripes, but definitely toned down some. The G is replaced by the Senators script, moving the G up to the shoulders. The stripes are pretty similar to the Stars' Reebok Edge 1.0 uniforms. Socks match like the sleeves. 
    • Equipment - matches the home and away

I personally think these are the best uniforms in the series yet, and definitely my personal faves so far. Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Gooding Senators

6. Jerome Tigers - Est. c1920s - Jerome, ID - Classification: 4A

Finally, we're gonna start seeing some schools with some personal relevance to me. Jerome was in the 4A SIC (Boise Area)  for a short period of time (for some random reasons I didn't know while I was in high school), which meant that if you played against Jerome, you got a half day of school because it was a 2 hour bus ride away. they weren't super competitive against us and they rejoined or joined the Great Basin and started playing Twin Falls area schools, which works out for the best for them IMO.

Other than that, my family has pretty long standing ties with the town. My grandma was born there, my great-grandparents lived there for a long time and are buried there. My uncle, whom we're barely on speaking terms with at the moment and things are getting better slowly, has lived in Jerome. So there's a little more history for me with Jerome all around. 

8IvI5dB.png

Jerome Tigers - Identity:  For as long as I can remember and to this day, Jerome had used a recolored Mizzou logo and to be honest, it felt weird to change it. But that doesn't mean it has to lead. 

•  Primary Logo - Pretty much what I said up above. 
  • Secondary Logo - I can't really explain why, but a Old English J felt like it was a good fit for Jerome. 
  • Wordmarks - Rather than a full gothic wordmark, something that bridges the gap IMO. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Classic block style numbers and letters. 

quPdJlM.png

Jerome Tigers - Uniforms:

• Home - Away - Alternate: The impulse to go with tiger stripes was heavy, but in the end, I'm saving that for another team in the Great Basin. 
    • Jerseys /Socks -  Very Canadiens inspired, with the chest stripe. Old English J on the chest, Tiger head on the shoulders. Stripe does not continue all the way around the back. 
    • Equipment - Black for the gloves and pants. Gloves have orange inset on the fingers, white helmets have the "Jerome" half of the wordmarks on the sides. 
    • Alternate - Just a color swap. I had an idea for a black and orange only uniform, but it encroached too much on another team's design that is forthcoming. 

C&C welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Jerome Tigers

7. Kimberly Bulldogs - Est. 1916 - Kimberly, ID - Classification: 3A

Kimberly is another one of the smaller farm towns in the Twin Falls area, and I honestly couldn't tell you if I have been there or not. Though with as much family as I have in the Twin Falls area, I wouldn't be shocked if I have. Pretty similar story for a lot of these schools and me, they're a classification below, not much interaction, you've heard me say it more than a few times. Though I did have a coworker at Costco from Kimberly and apparently my high school's reputation was well known, even there. We'll touch on that in the next conference. 

xYojVmL.png

Kimberly Bulldogs - Identity:  They're the Bulldogs, meaning they come with that g'durn bulldog logo every similarly named team uses! Spoiler alert, I did keep it. 

•  Primary Logo - Since I didn't want to use the Bulldog, I created a custom K letterform to serve as the primary logo. 
  • Secondary Logo - A bulldog logo. Yay. 
  • Wordmarks - Not the exact same as the primary logo, but a font that I felt captured a lot of the same essence I felt in the K. 
  • Jersey Fonts - A slightly wider than your standard block font block font, complete with the drop shadow the primary logo and the wordmarks have. 

3wV74oG.png

Kimberly  Bulldogs - Uniforms:

• Home - Away:  The color balance was very much inspired by Duluth East's high school hockey team. There's something about a uniform set up where dark jerseys work over a lighter set of pants.  
    • Jerseys /Socks -  I've liked a lot of classics for the teams in the Great Basin, and Kimberly is no exception, with a lot of inspiration coming from the NY Rangers. Most notably, in the stripes on the sleeves and hem and the shoulder detailing as well. 
    • Equipment - Red helmets. Red pants with a triple stripe up the side and the K logo on the front of the leg. Gloves are black, with a white cuff and red fingers.
  • Alternate 
    • Jersey/Socks - at it's base, it is a pretty straight forward color swap. biggest changes are the removal of the shoulder decoration, moving the K up to the shoulders and the baseball style logo treatment. 
    • Equipment - no changes to the gloves and helmet. black shell covers are introduced. 

C&C welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Kimberly Bulldogs

8. Minico Spartans - Est. 1955 - Rupert, ID - Classification: 4A

Minico HS serves about 6 towns in Minidoka County, which is where we get the name Minico: Minidoka County. And for those of you familiar with history, the name Minidoka should sound familiar as the home of a Japanese American internment camp during World War II. In a much less macabre historical fact, the Minidoka Dam was a direct result of the first Bureau of Reclamation project in Idaho, which is directly responsible for a lot of the irrigation and by extension, farming economy in the south central part of Idaho. 

As for the Spartans, they were a powerhouse in the early 2000's, winning a handful of state titles in various sports. One of their predecessor high schools (Rupert HS) won one of the earliest state basketball titles, way back in 1925. 

JrXEwGl.png

Minico Spartans - Identity:  While they are named the Spartans, it does seem like they phased out using Michigan State's logo. which resulted in something of a combination of Michigan's block M and Michigan State's wordmark. As a Sparty fan, it made me shudder.  

• Colors -  The red sticks around, but the gold changes to more of a USC/Michigan shade from its previous color of a more old gold/New Orleans/Purdue color. 
  • Primary Logo - They've been using this logo in conjunction with the UM/MSU combo logo. I liked it, and kept it as the primary logo. 
  • Secondary Logo - I don't know why they went away from this in favor of that combo logo, but I cleaned up the script and reshaped the M. 
  • Wordmarks - The script is nice, but I did want a wordmark set that wasn't script, and VTF League fit the bill of what I wanted. 
  • Jersey Fonts - VTF League felt good as a base to start and with some tweaks, also became the number font. 

5UMSPdZ.png

Minico Spartans - Uniforms:

• Home - Away:  Another case of some direct inspiration from a Minnesota high school, this time from Prior Lake, just with no navy and not so much in the overall uniform. 
    • Jerseys /Socks -  I don't quite remember the direct inspiration, but I ended up with an angular stripe look that carries from the sleeve stripes onto the body of the uniform, where the stripes fill out onto the bottom of the hem. Spartan helmet logo on the chest, M-Script combo on the shoulders. Socks match their jerseys. 
    • Equipment - Gold pants! and Gold helmets! I felt like the gold was dark enough while simultaneously being bright enough to work as the primary pants color. Gloves are a bit more traditional, sticking with the red as the base with some gold thumb coloring. 
  • Alternate 
    • Jersey/Socks - another color swap. I didn't like any of the stripe variations I had come up with. The only real change is the logos swap places. 
    • Equipment - no changes to the gloves and helmet. red shell covers are introduced, all gold was a little much. 

Let me know what you guys think about these or any of their Great Basin conference mates!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Minico Spartans

9. Mountain Home Tigers - Est. c.1900s - Mountain Home, ID - Classification: 4A

Good old Mountain Home. For me/family, on trips headed eastward, it was the first stop for food, drink, bathroom breaks. For everyone else, it's one of the ways go get up to Bruneau, home of the "tallest single structured sand dune (which I can say I have climbed), or Sun Valley, should you like that snobby tourist trap. Or like to ski. Mountain Home is most known for it's Air Force base, and for being the hometown of former NFLer Korey Hall, for you Packers fans. 

Mountain Home athletics often got my classmates out of class 2-3 hours early, given the 45 minute to an hour drive it took to get there. Other than that, MH was never given much respect. They've won two state championships in their school history, which predate my time at my high school. Otherwise, it was often looked at as a free win or wins whenever Mountain Home was on the schedule. Around 2016,-17,-18 they were moved from the Southern Idaho Conference to the Great Basin, which I think was a good move because it put them in league with schools they have a better competitive balance with. 

RRFs52I.png

Mountain Home Tigers - Identity:  It's the other black and orange team named Tigers! In a similar vein to Jerome, Mountain Home has used Towson's logo for longer than I can remember, which I also kept around here. 

• Colors -  Black and orange stick around. 
  • Primary Logo - Towson's recolored logo sticks around and actually sees use, unlike what I did with Jerome. 
  • Secondary Logo - A classic, varsity letter looking logo, an interlocked MH. 
  • Wordmarks - A simple Tigers script. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Mountain Home got a classic(ish) jersey look and a classic jersey font follows. Single color numbers and letters.  

1iRucaB.png

Mountain Home Tigers - Uniforms:

• Home - Away: An idea I've had for a CHL team for some time now that might see the light of day one of these days, but for now, works well for Mountain Home's hypothetical hockey team. 
    • Jerseys /Socks -  A pretty simple uniform when it comes down to it. Single color stripes around the sleeves and hem. Subtle tiger stripes down the sleeves. Tiger logo front and center. 
    • Equipment - All black pants, MH logo on the pant legs. Black gloves with orange cuffs. 
  • Alternate 
    • Jersey/Socks - It is a color swap but the tiger stripes move to inside the stripes. Tigers script moves to the chest. 
    • Equipment - no changes to the equipment. 

C&C much appreciated!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Mountain Home Tigers

10. Preston Indians - Est. c.s1940 - Preston, ID - Classification: 4A

You might be more familiar with Preston High School than you might think. Have you seen the 2004 film Napoleon Dynamite?  Well, it was filmed at Preston High and written by Jared and Jerusha Hess, where the former attended high school! One of the more fun facts about cities in Idaho. 

When it comes to athletics, Preston moved up to 4A in 2008 and surprisingly, when it came to state competitions, we never saw them against my high school teams, but they certainly have made a name for themselves at the 4A level, having won 4 out of the last 7 boy's basketball state titles. 

7iORQ9i.png

Preston Indians - Identity:  In a remarkable change of pace from the first three quarters of the Great Basin, a team not using red or orange as a primary color. 

• Colors -  Blue and gold are the main colors. Preston has been largely omitting gold in their athletic uniforms in recent days, and it needed to make a strong comeback. 
  • Primary Logo - Replacing their fairly non descript indian head logo is a letter P with feathers attached to the top of the letterform. 
  • Secondary Logo - A new non descript Indian head logo that IMO, is an improved version of the Moose Jaw Warriors old logo (closest comparison I could think of)
  • Wordmarks - A western style font for INDIANS with a more classic block font for PRESTON 
  • Jersey Fonts - No frills, just a classic block font. 

lpcRVVN.png

Preston Indians - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away: Preston football for a long while, had used a gold helmet with a recolored FSU spear. I didn't keep the spear but I kept the double stripe from the spear. 
    • Jerseys /Socks - Pretty straight forward. Double stripe around the sleeve and hem. P logo on the chest, Indian head on the shoulders. Double stripes also on the front and back of the shoulders. The nameplate does oddly obscure the back stripes. In my head, Preston isn't a high school that's putting names on the back of jerseys, put I'm just staying consistent. 
    • Equipment - Blue pants with the same stripes as the jerseys. Gold helmets, blue gloves with gold fingers and cuffs. 
  • Alternate 
    • Jersey/Socks - It bears a resemblance to the Maple Leafs all-white Stadium Series uniforms from a few years back, but it strangely works for me. White is largely minimized, as gold takes over as the main color. Stripes pare down to one color and now run across the chest with PRESTON now on the chest. 

C&C much appreciated!

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Preston Indians

11. Twin Falls Bruins - Est. 1907 - Twin Falls, ID - Classification: 4A

Twin Falls is the largest city in the Magic Valley, and correspondingly, hosts the largest enrollment among the schools in the Great Basin Conf. Before Canyon Ridge opened in 2009, they had an enrollment upwards of the 1300 benchmark, placing them in the 5A class, and have since moved down to 4A with CR splitting the city. Though now their enrollment is nearing that benchmark again, meaning a reclassification is likely on the horizon. Outside of their high school, my uncle has lived in Twin Falls for some time now, almost 25 years, even though the family warned him against it and he claimed it "would be a good change of pace and advance his career". It's been neither of those things. 

Athletically, it didn't really matter in what sport, we always seemed to see Twin Falls in a state tournament. Especially baseball, when in 2014 they knocked us out in the semifinals, en route to a state championship. In recent years though, Twin Falls has been on the other end of the spectrum, feeling the pain of having their season ended by my high school. As for me personally, I think my only athletic interaction with TFHS was in lacrosse, which didn't go super well for them. 

SkjHsKS.png

Twin Falls Bruins - Identity:  Twin Falls makes use of a light blue and silver as a tertiary color, depending on which team you ask. The former is gonna conflict with two teams from the eastern side of the state, and the latter is too reminiscent of the teams up north. So I decided to take the Filer route and go simple and classic. 

• Colors -  Navy blue and white. Only two colors for the Bruins. 
  • Primary Logo - The baseball team lends a lot of inspiration, and as such, their TF monogram is the primary logo. 
  • Secondary Logo -  While I wasn't initially planning on a Bruin logo, I caved and added on as a secondary logo, with Twin Falls spelled out above. 
  • Wordmarks - Baseball style wordmark. 
  • Jersey Fonts - A classic block font, with internal cuts for a vintage feel. 

OGhwiEo.png

Twin Falls Bruins - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away: I liked the Bruins' baseball uniforms, and wanted to work the pinstripes/pinstripe mofif in there somehow without doing it very literally and avoiding a Notre Dame Stadium Series look.  
    • Jerseys /Socks - The result ended up with a lot stripes on the sleeves, simplifying out on the hem. I did try adding the secondary logo to the sleeves, but it looked very cluttered if you looked from the shoulders down. Socks get the full bevy of stripes. TF logo on the chest. 
    • Equipment - White helmet with the wordmark on the sides. Navy pants with the double stripe from the hem, secondary logo on the pant leg. Navy gloves with white cuff. 
  • Alternate 
    • Jersey/Socks - In a similar situation to Filer, a fauxback style uniform, though Twin Falls eschews the idea of vintage white. This uniform was inspired by the Oshawa Generals teams of the 70's (very random, I know, but I was looking through CHL historical uniforms and it clicked for me). The lots-a-stripes goes away in favor of a northwestern stripe and sleeve caps, and the TF logo goes away for the Bruins script. 

C&C much appreciated!

• Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Twin Falls Bruins

12. Wood River Wolverines - Current Campus Built 2003 - Hailey, ID - Classification: 4A

The last team up in the Great Basin, Wood River High School. In a similar style to Minico, WRHS serves four towns/communities, Bellevue, Hailey, Ketchum and Sun Valley, all of which sit in the Wood River Valley, hence the name. 

For me, I never had any interaction with Wood River HS, but hockey in Idaho is a club sport and as such, things don't operate the same as the other state-sanctioned sports. In hockey, Sun Valley operated as both a travel hockey team and a high school hockey team. Now that's causing issues in the state today, but the governing body is too spineless to do anything about it, and they aren't the only team doing it either. That aside, Sun Valley always proved to be a tough beat in both travel and high school. But my last good high school hockey memory came my junior year, in the State Tournament that Sun Valley was hosting. We beat them in the state semifinals, in front of their home crowd, while they were celebrating their seniors. And then the next day we lost the state championship, the only state championship game I lost in 12 years. 

lgSNd9W.png

Wood River Wolverines- Identity:  Green and white are the two constants for Wood River, but their secondary color varies between black and green. I chose for a lighter green. Fits with the region and is more unique. 

• Colors -  Double greens and white. 
  • Primary Logo - Kept their current logo, and changed the grey out for the new light green. 
  • Secondary Logo -  An updated claw logo, with the new font from the new wordmark. 
  • Wordmarks - New vertical font makes up the new wordmark. 
  • Jersey Fonts - Modern block for the numbers, something similar to the wordmark. Nike NOB font for the letters. 

VLb2uhg.png

Wood River Wolverines - Uniforms:

•  Home - Away:  The Sun Valley Suns (the real life hockey team up there), uses red and black as their colors and have a more mountainous look to them. A decent look, but not what I had in mind for them with their new colors.   
    • Jerseys /Socks - The Pittsburgh style upper sleeve coloring idea came from the logo itself, notably the sweeping arm of the wolverine. Resulting in an offset stripe. wolverine logo on the chest, wordmark up on the shoulders. same style stripe on the hem. 
    • Equipment - Dark green equipment. WR logo on the pants and helmet. Gloves have light green detailing on the thumb side. 
  • Alternate - The Suns teams I always played against, and looking at it now, maybe it's just the younger teams that have the more mountainous uniforms, but the teams I played against wore recolored 90's Flyers uniforms. I hate them, I'll always hate them, but I'll show them some respect. 
    • Jersey/Socks - The alternate does reflect the aforementioned recolored Flyers uniforms which get recolored again, this time to light green and with white and green elements. WR claw logo now on the chest. 

That wraps up the Great Basin. Conference Tournament to follow shortly. In the meantime, let me know what you think about Wood River or any of the Great Basin teams!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Wood River Wolverines

oHTCDgh.png

We've reached the end of another conference which means another conference tournament! Right off the bat, not quite as chaotic as the Inland Empire's went, but still not without some March-level madness. 

• Play-In Round:
    • Twin Falls and Filer turned in one of the best games so far, a 2 OT epic, ending with Twin Falls outshooting Filer by almost double in the two overtimes. 
    • The last close game in the first round, is the biggest upset of the season, with a late penalty dooming Preston in the 3rd period and Gooding is the first 12 seed to advance. 
    • In the opposite of the first two games, Burley dominates Canyon Ridge with a 4 goal first period en route to a 8-1 win. 
    • A closer game than Wood River would have probably liked, but a 3 goal 3rd gets them past Kimberly.
  • Quarterfinals:
    • The first game still proving to be a challenge for the top seeds, as Jerome's offense can't match the three goal 2nd period Twin Falls put up. 
    • A great story in the first game, a blowout in the second. Gooding proves no match for a rested Minico offense. 
    • A defensive struggle all game ends with Burley sneaking one more in and past the 2nd-seeded Tigers of Mountain Home. 
    • A tie game in shots, doubled up in score. Wood River can't match Buhl's scoring output and the Indians move on to the semis. 
  • Semifinals: 21 total goals in the Quarterfinals, 4 total in the semifinals. 
    • A well rested offense vs a rolling machine: Twin Falls continues its string of one goal victories, getting past Minico and into the championship game
    • 3 quick goals in the first period and strong defense are the key for Burley advancing to meet Twin Falls in the championship game. 
  • Championship Game:
    • Four goals in the first period, one in the last two. A great struggle between two well matched teams, finally sees Twin Falls on the wrong end of a one goal game, as Burley nets one more chance, late in the 3rd period and wins the Great Basin and will head to Boise!

zU7KVCS.png

The color breakdown of the Great Basin:

• Skewed very heavy to the red spectrum in the first half, with 5 of the first 7 teams using a shade of red.
  • Green makes a welcome appearance, with two teams making good use there.   
  • Two teams use one color as both primary and secondary color. 
  • All in all, not quite as diverse from a color perspective as the Inland Empire, nevertheless unique. 

I know I did a lot of talking with myself during this last conference. But let me know what you guys think! We're moving onto the Boise area soon!!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to Idaho High School Hockey - Great Basin Conf. Tournament/Recap

Hey everyone! Hope my fellow hockey fans are enjoying the first round of the SC Playoffs! 

We've reached the midpoint of the AA division, as we enter the most populated area of Idaho, the Treasure Valley; home to the state capital of Boise, and four of the five largest cities in Idaho. 

wqWoCtj.png

V0yBAmt.png

With 20 high schools at 4A (640-1279) and 5A (1280 & up) in the valley, I split the existing Southern Idaho Conference in two conferences with very unique names: SIC-East and SIC West. Originally, the SIC East would retain the name, and the west was going to be known as the Snake River Valley conference (actually a historic name for the conference many of theses schools previously were in), but it became better served for the teams at the A level in the Treasure Valley.

Getting back on track, doing an east/west split helps keep travel down, even if the longest drive for these schools is about an hour to each other. 

• Biggest change to the SIC East is Bishop Kelly (team #1, top row)  is the relative newcomer to the group, as the only 4A school joining with the 11 5A schools in the Boise area. 
  • Eagle (team #6, top row) and Kuna (team #7, bottom row) are the only schools outside of Boise and Meridian, residing in their own cities, named the same as their schools. 
  • In stark contrast to the previous two conferences, not a tremendous amount of travel distance, with most schools not being more than a half hour drive away from each other. 

Just looking at it from a logo standpoint, I think the SIC-E is the most unique in terms of colors. I think the only color we're missing here is orange. 

C&C welcome!!

AmPJ0Ty.png