Idaho High School Hockey - The Conclusion

colinturner95

I've mentioned this many times in many different areas on the forums here - I'm a hockey guy. I have been since I learned how to skate. Naturally, I worked my way up from Mite levels, Peewee, Bantam, up the age chain and up to my U18 days, even going to two National Championship tournaments. But for four years, I did my time at high school and by extension, high school hockey. And this is where the "wishful re-imagining" comes in. 

[High school] hockey in Idaho sucks. That's as much as I can say with the words that won't be censored. When compared to areas and states like New England and Minnesota, it's just not even on the same page. First and foremost, hockey in Idaho isn't anything more than a club sport, meaning it doesn't get the funding or recognition like football, basketball or baseball. There's also a lack of quality leadership within the Idaho Amateur Hockey Assoc, which is a different conversation.  It's the way the cookie crumbles, but doesn't mean that someone like me can wish that it was better. So I hoped to use my talents to imagine what a better hockey world would be like for the HS hockey players in the Gem State. 

First things first, I'd like to acknowledge @Section30 because it was his Minnesota HS redesign that got me thinking about doing this project. And to that end, Minnesota's set up helped pave the way for what I'm about to present:

an71h8l.png

For starters, under this concept, hockey would fall under the umbrella of the IHSAA, the Idaho High School Athletics Association, and to that end, I felt that a new logo is much needed here. Not that the current logo is bad or hard to look at, but I felt that a more reflexive logo was needed. So the roundel disappears, the state shape persists with IHSAA cut out of the southern area of the state with the spelled out "Idaho High School Athletics Association" underneath, which would serve as the "global" logo to borrow from the NBA lexicon. 

SVI2Dom.png

The reflexivity I mentioned comes into play here, with the first (and only) sports specific logo which replaces "Idaho High School Athletics Association" with the sport of choice, in this case hockey. Now next to that logo, is not a colorful version of the logo, but showing you the administrative districts and help segway us into the next part of this first post. 

Mvvg8QS.png

i5BICwc.png

For those of you that aren't familiar with Idaho's athletics, which I imagine is most of you, this should help get you familiar with the teams you're about to see and how things are broken down: 

• Like Minnesota HS hockey, teams are broken into two divisions: AA & A. AA for the larger schools (5A, being the largest schools, 4A and 3A) and A, which is mostly everyone else. 
  • Where MN has 8 or so conferences/sections that make getting teams to the state championship easy, Idaho really doesn't break down that nicely:
    • This results in 5 conferences per AA and A, meaning (hypothetically) 5 conferences champs to State, 3 at large teams. 

Now for the purposes of this series, not every high school will be represented. Idaho's 1A division, its largest by far, has many high schools with an enrollment under 100 students. That right there is not conducive for something like this. Not to mention that some high schools would likely have to combine with others to field a team, but I'm not going to worry about that for this series. 

In addition to all this, here's a link to a more basic breakdown of teams and conferences: IHSAA Breakdown

I'll leave you all with this, and have the first team up shortly. 

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

We'll start up in the panhandle of the state, in the AA Inland Empire League, which spans between Districts 1 &2. 

First team up, the Bonners Ferry Badgers, probably the northernmost high school in Idaho.:

VPbuhTP.png

Bonners Ferry Badgers - Logos - Bonners Ferry currently kicks it pretty classic in all sports. Their colors are currently navy and silver, but a couple of their other sports use a lighter shade of blue, somewhere between royal and Chargers powder blue. They also use Bucky the Badger in his full body logo self, I scaled it down to just his head and created a sort of classic style HS/Collegiate wordmark for the team. Number font isn't anything special and a single color. 

rBXY7uF.png

Bonners Ferry Badgers - Keeping it simple, the uniforms are what you'd get if the Red Wings decided to feel blue. The home and away uniforms are very much the Red Wings, with light blue sleeves and navy stripes, or just navy stripes when the whole uniform is light blue. LB helmets with navy pants and gloves for everyone. The alternate uniform doesn't stray from the regular uniform just opts for a collegiate style jersey front. 

C&C welcome! Not the most visually exciting start but if you have anything, I'd love to hear it!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I was hoping to have more teams posted before I had left for Christmas vacation, but just didn't happen unfortunately. Up next is the first of a few teams from the Coeur d'Alene metro area, the 3rd largest in the state of Idaho. 

vXGXxdt.png

Coeur d'Alene (CDA) Charter Panthers - Logos: CDA Charter is a relatively young school, opened in 1999, and they've made their mark already in state athletics, especially in girls soccer, where their team has utterly dominated, winning 6 championships in the last 10 years. With that in mind, the girls soccer team also contributes a lot to the uniforms, which we'll get into shortly. As for the branding, I couldn't quite figure out what logo the team is actively using. Some sites show the Carolina Panthers logo, other show more of a clip-art style Panther. Both of which I threw out. I was a fan of the updated Michigan Panthers logo which meshed with the Boise State Bronco head into a sweeping panther head. I also favored a script logo for this team which you'll see paired with the panther logo. 

ATSbiLY.png

CDA Charter Panthers - Uniforms: The girls soccer team uses a simple double stripe on their jerseys, which I thought was simple but maybe too simple. I doubled the stripe up on the sleeves and added the phantom yoke stripes to the shoulders of the home and away uniforms. Panther logo on the chest of the home and away uniforms, socks match their jerseys. Pants have the same style stripe on the sides, with the panther logo at the base of the stripe. Alternate uniform gets rid of the shoulder stripes and moves them down to a chest stripe with the script logo front and center. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

I think for CDA's blue jersey, the logo would be better with a blue base like on the white jersey. I know it'd sink into the background but the logo doesn't work with the highlights & shadows reversed like that. Not necessary, but the white jersey might look nice with white/blue/red striping below the yoke rather than just red/white. Regardless, a really solid set.

No complaints about Bonners Ferry.

Good work!

• Like 2

I think I finally got my fill of the holidays, and recovered from travelling for the holidays. Thank goodness my wife and I chose to drive. 

First things first, like I always do on a series, I forget things: 

WCQey9H.png

(I'm also experimenting with a new file-hosting system so fingers crossed it works).  I wanted to do a little header for each conference, just to help familiarize you guys as best as possible with these teams, even if it's just a logo. It also serves to show you how some of these teams love to overlap colors and identities in certain conferences and divisions. 

IZ039yW.png

Coeur d'Alene serves as a northern Idaho powerhouse, as it is one of the largest high schools in Northern Idaho. Despite this, the school doesn't field a club high school team, instead sending a team to the travel hockey tournament, as well as being home to a hockey academy that instead plays in the CCSHL.

Coeur d'Alene Vikings - Logos - CDA lists their colors as red, white and blue, but red is often not found anywhere on any uniforms, social media, etc. Their shade of blue was either a royal blue, lighter than that or slightly darker than that. They also recolor and use the Vikings logo, which I felt like it was time to move on from. The new primary logo does retain the Vikings horn logo, but now features it in the counter of the C logo from the new wordmark, seen to the right of the new logo. The shade of blue comes from the midpoint of the Detroit Lions' Honolulu Blue and a rich Royal Blue. Red is still nowhere to be found, instead with grey being used as a secondary color. 

zkjA86Q.png

Coeur d'Alene Vikings - Uniforms - I also was going to shoot for realism in the fact that most HS teams aren't going to bother with names on the back if they have to be replaced every year, but it looked plain and I'm going to scrap that and have NOBs on the backs of the jerseys. Anywhosit, the football team had been using uniforms with Colts' stripes on the shoulders, which lent a lot to the look: The stripes are consistent across the uniforms, resulting in a double stripe with grey cuffs on the white jersey, single with grey cuffs on the blue, and a classic triple stripe on the grey alternate. Primary logo on the home/away jerseys, diagonal CDA with the primary logo in the C on the alt. Pants are simple blue, with the logo on the leg. Socks match their jerseys. 

C&C welcome!

On 12/30/2022 at 2:05 PM, vtgco said:

I think for CDA's blue jersey, the logo would be better with a blue base like on the white jersey. I know it'd sink into the background but the logo doesn't work with the highlights & shadows reversed like that. Not necessary, but the white jersey might look nice with white/blue/red striping below the yoke rather than just red/white. Regardless, a really solid set.

No complaints about Bonners Ferry.

Good work!

E95VqXf.png

I went back and forth on the blue jerseys' logo and I think the change was what I should have done in the beginning. I also added a smaller white keyline for some added contrast. I also made the change to the white jerseys' yoke, which now lets the stripe match the existing pattern across the uniform. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

24 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Can only see the logo slide for Coeur d'Alene; can't see anything else on your latest post. Nice simplified logo though!

Good to know. that should be fixed now. If not, please lmk. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So clearly the new photo-hosting idea did not work out. Gonna stick with Imgur for the time being it seems like. 

0QDIJ9L.png

Kellogg HS at one point in time, was competing with the largest schools in Idaho, up until about 1976 when the population centers in the state started really growing to a point that just wasn't feasible anymore. Now, Kellogg currently sits in the 3A division, and their rivals have slipped down to the 2A and lower divisions. 

Kellogg Wildcats - Logos - In what seems like a rare occurrence among high schools, Kellogg comes equipped with a pretty unique logo already. Simple enough, just added a secondary K logo with a Wildcats script laid in over top of it. 

E7nA64c.png

Kellogg Wildcats - Uniforms -  The football team, at one point, used Baylor's old pants. That peripherally gets used here. Sort of. I mostly liked the cut/angular feel of that stripe and used an offset stripe on top of a sleeve length stripe that runs collar to cuff. They aren't everyone's favorite, but I opted for a upper chest number. Purple helmets, pants and gloves. Now for the alternate. While an additional pair of pants wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for some schools, it would make for a headache when travelling. However, a set of breezer covers would be just as practical IMO and speaking from experience. So the alternate goes almost all black, same style stripes, just with white pretty much eliminated from the uniform, save for the logo. 

C&C welcome! Hopefully no more issues with the images moving forward

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Your Kellogg set is the best yet! The chest numbers actually work quite well here IMO, and I really like the shoulder-length yoke striping.

I feel like the gold & black stripes on the hem ought to be switched around on the home & away though; the order feels a bit off as-is.

Also curious how the purple jersey would look with white in the place of black on the logo.

Updates for the Panthers look good!

I can see Coeur d'Alene now; could the logo's C be silver on blue backgrounds? Jerseys are otherwise solid.

21 hours ago, vtgco said:

Your Kellogg set is the best yet! The chest numbers actually work quite well here IMO, and I really like the shoulder-length yoke striping.

I feel like the gold & black stripes on the hem ought to be switched around on the home & away though; the order feels a bit off as-is.

Also curious how the purple jersey would look with white in the place of black on the logo.

Updates for the Panthers look good!

I can see Coeur d'Alene now; could the logo's C be silver on blue backgrounds? Jerseys are otherwise solid.

Updates first, new team second:

pvyT6Ba.png

Yes, the logo's C could and should be silver on blue BGs. don't know why it wasn't from the beginning. 

GTW3Lsr.png

I went back over the main logo and changed the shadows/details to a tonal instead of a hard contrast color, which allowed the logo to switch to white on the purple jersey. The stripes on the other hand, I didn't mess with because it messed with the balance to me when compared to the sleeve stripes. 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

yqV4iXc.png

Lake City serves as the second 5A high school in the CDA area, but they don't lack for competitive spirit, going toe-to-toe with the best schools in the state in most sports and with their cross-town rivals. (Quick plug, if you ever get the chance, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is a beautiful city and if you get the chance, should definitely vacation there)

Lake City Timberwolves - Logos: Something I didn't see before this, that they basically have the same color scheme as their cross town rival, just a few shades darker in a few colors.  Anyways, they make the colors look good in my opinion, so I personally felt like it would work, even though they list teal as a school color, it hardly shows up on team uniforms and things like that. For the logos, I worked with the Minnesota Timberwolves newer logo, rotated about 90 degrees, adding in a block LAKE CITY above it.  

GlSp54L.png

Lake City Timberwolves - Uniforms: Much like the CDA Vikings, the uniforms get their start from past football uniforms, in this case, looking more like what I did for LSU in the 72 Project, with shoulder stripes as well as stripes on the sleeve with the number contained in the middle of them. Timberwolf logo on the chest of the home and away. The numbers get a little drop-shadow, similar to the wordmark. Stripes down the pants, socks match their jerseys. Alternate doesn't stray too far from the pack, going for a more traditional double stripe on the sleeves. The hem stripe goes solid, the socks stripes match the jersey stripes and the full logo now sits on the chest. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I love this series idea! @Htown1141 and I just worked together to redo the whole identity for the high school program I coach / manage in Arizona and the challenges it presented (cookie cutter templates / limited colors / budget) made it an extremely fun and rewarding experience. So much fun that I have considered doing something like this for my own state once I have some free time. Enough about me, I am here for your work!

Before the deep dive, I just wanted to mention that the numbers on the back feel a tad large. It might be the correct sizing when comparing it to an actual jersey, but they draw my eye away from your actual design. Could just be a preference thing. 

Bonners Ferry Badgers

There are some changes that I think really benefit this school's look. I love the decision to promote their light blue and only use Bucky's head, but I am not sure if I like it more than the classic "BADGERS" with the number below it on the chest. The letters feel more traditional, and that  seems to be the goal for this school. For the home I'd suggest swapping the navy and light blue on the arm. The light blue would pop so nicely off the navy. Also, I was curious about your decision to outline the mascot name but not the number on your alt. The inconsistency just feels off. Lastly, kudos on the equipment color treatment. When your team is lesser known than some other schools / club teams it helps to use color that catches the eye of casual spectators that happen to be at the rink. Small, simple things like a light blue helmet demands attention, making people curious enough to ask, "who is that?", essentially providing passive, low-cost marketing to a sport that tends to come behind others for funding. This is why my own program has switched from black to all green equipment. A small thing that helps a program stand out / be unique when only a handful of jersey template / color options are presented. Good job! 

CDA Charter Panthers

It is always an excellent idea to draw inspiration from other uniforms at the school when you aren't sure where to start. It not only provides a consistent look that is recognizable to the student body, but it also provides a sense of success and pride without taking too much credit. You also made a solid choice with the logo change. I've looked at all of these schools, and all of CDA's panther logos deserved to hit the cutting room floor. The way you used the soccer team's striping looks great without being a direct copy and your red jersey with the Panthers script was a great way to provide a purposeful third option.

CDA Vikings

I really like the “C” horn. Very smart way to make a generic logo unique to the school. I really like the striping and colors, but I think the identity could use a touch of black to create some contrast. 

Welp, I have to get back to work. I do really like Kellogg's modern jersey + colors and (besides the hem inconsistency on the alt) Lake City is my favorite overall identity. Great job!

• Like 1

6nQWh6b.png

Lakeland HS sits about 20 minutes/miles from Coeur d'Alene, and has a pretty large enrollment for only encompassing a population base of roughly 7500 - 8000 people. Beyond that, I don't have a lot of experience or familiarity with Lakeland. Playing two club sports that the schools in the northern part of the state don't offer, doesn't give a whole lot of interaction. 

Lakeland Hawks - Logos: Much like Kellogg, the Hawks come equipped with a pretty unique logo (at least by my research) and they break up the blue/purple parade we've been watching for the first 5 teams. All I had to add was a wordmark logo, which stacks Lakeland Hawks. I did revisit their number font, because yikes.

A5q5yi4.png 

Lakeland Hawks - Uniforms - I'd be lying if I said I didn't initially struggle with the uniforms. Lakeland didn't have a unique thing I could jump on and roll with. What I did end up with was two different uniform styles that got somewhat blended into one look. For the home and away, shoulder to cuff stripes, one color. At the end of the sleeves a thick double stripe, that is mirrored on the hem. Primary logo on the chest. Socks match their jerseys. The alternate was the other option, with more traditional stripes on the sleeves, but also having half a shoulder stripe as well to kind of marry the whole uniform look together. 

C&C welcome!

On 1/12/2023 at 1:05 PM, BoysClub said:

Bonners Ferry Badgers

There are some changes that I think really benefit this school's look. I love the decision to promote their light blue and only use Bucky's head, but I am not sure if I like it more than the classic "BADGERS" with the number below it on the chest. The letters feel more traditional, and that  seems to be the goal for this school. For the home I'd suggest swapping the navy and light blue on the arm. The light blue would pop so nicely off the navy. Also, I was curious about your decision to outline the mascot name but not the number on your alt. The inconsistency just feels off.

yFP2yMO.png

1. I love the decision to promote their light blue and only use Bucky's head, but I am not sure if I like it more than the classic "BADGERS" with the number below it on the chest. The letters feel more traditional, and that  seems to be the goal for this school.
    1. I agree about the traditional/classic feel of the letters/number combo, but I do feel that the primary jerseys should have and look better with the logo. 
  2. For the home I'd suggest swapping the navy and light blue on the arm. The light blue would pop so nicely off the navy.
    1. To me that defeats the purpose of elevating light blue to being the primary color. 
  3. Also, I was curious about your decision to outline the mascot name but not the number on your alt. The inconsistency just feels off.
    1. A missed detail on my part. I prefer the single color on the home/away, but the numbers should have been outlined on the alt from the beginning. 

On 1/12/2023 at 1:05 PM, BoysClub said:

Lastly, kudos on the equipment color treatment. When your team is lesser known than some other schools / club teams it helps to use color that catches the eye of casual spectators that happen to be at the rink. Small, simple things like a light blue helmet demands attention, making people curious enough to ask, "who is that?", essentially providing passive, low-cost marketing to a sport that tends to come behind others for funding. This is why my own program has switched from black to all green equipment. A small thing that helps a program stand out / be unique when only a handful of jersey template / color options are presented. Good job! 

Welp, I have to get back to work. I do really like Kellogg's modern jersey + colors and (besides the hem inconsistency on the alt) Lake City is my favorite overall identity. Great job!

equipment is part of the uniform and IMO, can make or break a uniform set, and that goes beyond hockey. As for the Lake City alt, I just wanted something slightly different on the alt. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

wceOB27.png

Good old Lewiston. The former territorial capital of Idaho, until it was moved to Boise. Then they were going to get the state's first college, until it was given to Moscow. Though I'd say things have worked out okay, becoming the second-largest city in Northern Idaho. As for their high school, despite having some LSU knockoff qualities, they have a solid identity IMO. 

Lewiston Bengals - Logos: I didn't have to do much, with a tiger logo I personally didn't recognize, even though from what I could tell they don't make much use of, while the HS football team does somewhat shamelessly use LSU's helmet design, save for a changed letter or two.  I made some changes to their L-wordmark logo, with a tweaked font from what they've used at some points. I also went with a simple one-color font. 

nyGvMQO.png

Lewiston Bengals - Uniforms: Despite the LSU connections, I went with a stripe more similar to the Cleveland Browns, just in purple and yellow. Tiger logo on the home and away uniforms, Bengals wordmark-logo on the shoulders. I kept the helmet gold like the football team. I thought it was a nice way to stand out. The alternate jersey sees the tiger head go away for the Bengals-L logo but stays pretty true to the other uniforms.

C&C welcome as always!

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

As someone who is from Minnesota, & a huge HS hockey fan I love the idea of taking the system we have and other states adopting it! The rotated Wolves logo is way is phenomenal & is by far my favorite. I like how the CDA Charter Panthers logo can have it colors swapped and still work well. Lakeland reminds me a lot of the [statewide hated] Edina Hornets. Can't wait to see where this all goes.

• Like 1

dikBtTE.png

Moscow is unique in the teams that we've seen so far, in that, I've played against them! Well, their travel team at least. But the Moscow area isn't large enough to support a separate high school and travel teams, so many kids from one play on the other. My brother on the other hand, 7 years younger than I, has played against the team, both in a high school and travel tournament. He won both times. I have a less favorable record, unfortunately. 

Moscow Bears - Logos: Despite the high school having a pretty classic looking logo, I opted instead for the travel hockey team's logo, replacing the Palouse Youth above it with Moscow. The secondary logo is reworked MHS logo from what the football team currently uses,  and the number font is done in the same font. 

PQsNE3L.png

Moscow Bears - Uniforms: The decision to lead with black or lead with red was tricky. Next to shades of blue, black and red is one of the more popular color combos in the state. I opted to lead with red for the Bears. The three uniforms use a stripe that is something reminiscent of the Buffalo Bills throwback uniforms, with a little more oomph. This stripe pattern uses two smaller triple stripes flanked by a single stripe on either side. The white jersey has a red yoke, with the MHS shoulder logos, and a red hem, the red jersey has no yoke, shoulder logos and black hem. The black jersey is a recolor of the red jersey, logos swapping places. Red buckets for the uniforms, black pants and socks match their jerseys. 

C&C welcome!

On 1/24/2023 at 1:39 PM, EJaws said:

As someone who is from Minnesota, & a huge HS hockey fan I love the idea of taking the system we have and other states adopting it! The rotated Wolves logo is way is phenomenal & is by far my favorite. I like how the CDA Charter Panthers logo can have it colors swapped and still work well. Lakeland reminds me a lot of the [statewide hated] Edina Hornets. Can't wait to see where this all goes.

At least as an outsider, and someone who's had to experience a hockey league that is run like, well, :censored:, Minnesota has it done right. It makes me sad, but also hopeful that maybe in the future Idaho could at least have a slightly well run program. 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

0Dqu2UG.png

Post Falls sits roughly 15 minutes from Coeur d'Alene, and is the first town you drive through after driving through Spokane to get there. It's cute, though one could make a strong argument that it gets overshadowed by the more-popular CDA, which makes sense. Post Falls doesn't have a lake to profit from. As for the Trojans, they fall into the category of "no interaction". didn't play a sport they did, and they're a division above my alma mater. However, they have one of my early favorites in terms of identities. 

Post Falls Trojans - Logos - The black and orange color scheme is the first part of what I love about the Trojans. it's an underrated color scheme in my opinion. two, they have a unique logo. I've praised that with the few teams so far that have those, but theirs is fun, kinda bouncy in a certain way that works for them. All I had to do was add wordmark that I felt captured some of that same essence. 

HwEOMhP.png

Post Falls Trojans - Uniforms- Around 2013, the PF Trojans football team wore pants with a cut Northwestern stripe on the pants and that was enough for me. The northwestern stripe becomes the focal point and makes its mark everywhere it can, on the shoulders, sleeves and hems of the primary jerseys. down the sides of the pants and on the socks as well. As for the alternate, this was an idea I tried for the Flyers in an NHL concept series that most everyone hated, but for a high school team, I thought it tied in nicely with the established jerseys and was still different enough. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

jSzCJXY.png

Nope, you're not seeing double. I expected there would be something like this that would happen, with schools from classifications and divisions merging into combined leagues, but back to backing them like this wasn't honestly anticipated. And also, in the time when I created this project to actually getting it posted, Priest River actually dropped a classification from 3A to 2A, which would have put them in the A division, but in the interest of as even conferences/leagues as possible, I left them here in the AA group. 

Priest River Spartans - Logos: So the other black and orange team with a helmeted mascot of myth and legend, the Spartans also make use of the black and orange color scheme, this time focusing more on orange than black as a primary color. Michigan State isn't using it much, so I figured Priest River could, referring to the forgotten Sparty head MSU rolled out to shelve. 

zNg3jPu.png

Priest River Spartans - Uniforms: Where the Trojans uniforms were pretty contained, the Spartans uniforms get a little wild with it. Home and Away uniforms have a spartan pattern as the sleeve stripes with a little more reined in double stripe on the hems. Socks matching those jerseys. On the alternate jersey, the spartan pattern multiplies and is featured across the chest as well. Orange helmets and gloves, black pants. 

C&C welcome!

On 2/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, FlyingLamprey said:

Great work on this series so far!  The Post Falls logo is very fun, and I think the colors are perfect and unique and pair well with the Northwestern striping!  Out of curiosity, what font did you use for the Trojans script?

Mattoa. I did some tweaking to the T in Trojans, since the default option was a little too goofy for this in my opinion. 

https://creativemarket.com/BombasType/1521298-Mattoa

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png