Nike College Hockey Redesign (2 of 61: Bemidji State University Beavers)

chcarlson23

College hockey has always been one of my favorite kinds of hockey. It might help that I've been a Gophers fan my whole life, and have gone to a lot of games at Mariucci. But there's something about the rowdiness of the fans, the buzz of the whole arena, and of course all of the endless, nonsense traditions that are just so much fun. College hockey doesn't have nearly as many programs as other D1 sports, but there's a lot of fun identities, and great traditional programs to create looks for. There's teams like Denver who never change, and other teams who are brand new, and are still getting to play around with there visual identities.

But why Nike? Adidas is supposed to drop the NHL after the 23-24 season. On top of that, I've heard rumors that Adidas is just done with hockey, period. With that in mind, seeing which companies would be the best to fill that void, Nike sits atop the list. Other ones like CCM, Warrior/New Balance, and Under Armour have their fair share of teams, but in this concept thread, Nike is taking over. I will be using the Nike template from the Winter Olympics, with some slight modifications.

BIG TEN

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

ATLANTIC HOCKEY

AIC

Air Force

Army

Bentley

Canisius

Holy Cross

Mercyhurst

Niagara

RIT

Sacred Heart

CCHA

Bemidji State

Bowling Green

Ferris State

Lake Superior State

Michigan Tech

Minnesota State

Northern Michigan

St. Thomas

ECAC

Brown

Clarkson

Colgate

Cornell

Dartmouth

Harvard

Princeton

Quinnipiac

Rensselaer

St. Lawrence

Union

Yale

HOCKEY EAST

Boston College

Boston University

Connecticut

Maine

Mass-Lowell

UMass

Merrimack

Northeastern

Providence

New Hampshire

Vermont

NCHC

Colorado College

Denver

Miami

UMD

North Dakota

Omaha

St. Cloud State

Western Michigan

Independent

Alaska

Alaska-Anchorage

Arizona State

Lindenwood

Long Island

So here's the first team I've completed so far, the Nationally Ranked, and always a legitimate contender, the St. Cloud State University Huskies!

So I wanted to give the Huskies a new look, and to not just have Blackhawks clones for their home and road sets. The Huskies "CSt" logo is also to good to not keep on the front of the jersey for both the home and road. While the current road jersey is red, they tend to wear their black alternates quite often, and in fact the Huskies have traditionally had black as their away colored sweater, so I changed that over for the Huskies. I kept the current font, along with the huskie shoulder patch, but the new striping pattern comes from their set from the 80's. 

As for the alternates, I brought back the current red road jersey, but I modified the striping pattern to be unique to the Huskies, and to deviate them from the Blackhawks. The white home alternate is based of one of their early jerseys, but I modified the script, by using the current St. Cloud mark, and giving it a drop shadow effect, and did the same to the numbers on the back of the sweater.

St.%20Cloud%20Concept%201.jpegSt%20Cloud%20Concept%202.jpeg

C&C appreciated!!

• Like 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• chcarlson23 changed the title to Nike College Hockey Redesign (2 of 61: Bemidji State University Beavers)

Next up is the Bemidji State Beavers! Another smaller Minnesota school, Bemidji hasn't a crazy amount of success at the D1 level, but always seems to hang around late in the season. 

I didn't change much about the Beavers current home and road, but I did give them colored shoulder patches to match the breezers. I have always like the simple green and white look for the Beavers. The classic script on the chest stays as well. For the alternates, I injected all sorts of color into them! The primary beaver logo has the gold and black, so I incorporated that into the striping. The shoulder patches are from the Beavers having a history of using the Minnesota shape with a star over Bemidji's location. I also then added a wordmark over the state. This finds its way to the  alternate fauxback. The striping is based off this jersey with an added logo and modern numbers. 

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who just graduated SCSU. YES YES YES! I was starting to feel like our team needed an update, especially our black 3rds. The 80s set we wore for homecoming in 2021 were awesome, so the home and roads are *chefs kiss*. I think the Alt reds could use a little work. I think the red jerseys the SCSU womens team would be a great look & show a little unity between the 2 teams. The White Alt looks good.

Bemidji has such an iconic look to me, so im glad to see the home & roads didnt change much. The beaver logo on the white alt is a nice change, but seeing gold & black on a BSU sweater feels sacrilegious. HOWEVER I think it does work. Reminds me of the Dallas Stars 1997/98-1998/99 Alts. For the green ALT is there a reason the script Bemidji is a different shade of green?

All in all a GREAT start. As a sucker for college hockey in MN, I can't wait to see what the other 4 schools look like. St Thomas is having an identity crisis, would love to see them drop black from their home and roads and embrace the purple!

7 hours ago, EJaws said:

As someone who just graduated SCSU. YES YES YES! I was starting to feel like our team needed an update, especially our black 3rds. The 80s set we wore for homecoming in 2021 were awesome, so the home and roads are *chefs kiss*. I think the Alt reds could use a little work. I think the red jerseys the SCSU womens team would be a great look & show a little unity between the 2 teams. The White Alt looks good.

Bemidji has such an iconic look to me, so im glad to see the home & roads didnt change much. The beaver logo on the white alt is a nice change, but seeing gold & black on a BSU sweater feels sacrilegious. HOWEVER I think it does work. Reminds me of the Dallas Stars 1997/98-1998/99 Alts. For the green ALT is there a reason the script Bemidji is a different shade of green?

All in all a GREAT start. As a sucker for college hockey in MN, I can't wait to see what the other 4 schools look like. St Thomas is having an identity crisis, would love to see them drop black from their home and roads and embrace the purple!

Thanks so much for the feedback!! I do love the Huskies black alternate, and just how the logo pops against the black base. The striping just leaves so much to be desired, so I wanted something that was better! What would you change about the red jerseys? I’m rather proud of those ones haha, but I’d love to hear more about any tweaks for those! 

And for Bemidji, I think it might be the gold outline on the wordmark playing tricks, because it should be the same shade of green haha. 

And thank you so much!! I’ve really gotten into college hockey this year, as even though I just moved out of Minnesota, my Gophers are having a great year!! I am working on all of the Minnesota schools first, so MSU should be up soon! And St. Thomas has a long hockey history, so I’ve got a few ideas, but I will be dropping black from their look! (Fun fact though, my previous employer in Minnesota did all of the lettering for the St. Thomas jerseys!)