MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (6/6 Portland Beavers; Mini-Series Complete)

MJD7

Charlotte Knights

I originally conceptualized this, before the Minor League team unveiled their recent redesign, with black & gold & their old logos. However, I think going with Panther blue to unite Charlotte into one color palette works really well.

vhPmgsS.png

aIM0FXs.png

9I5xWka.png

7uT3QXU.png

• Like 11
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, vtgco said:

Looks good, though I'm curious how the blue alt would look with black wordmark & white numbers... The whiteless black alt is really nice!

Thanks! Here's a look at your suggestion:

nFQxPQo.png

I'll admit, I did almost go this route originally, but the white letters won out. Either way looks good though I think!

• Like 3

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (2/6 Las Vegas Aviators)

Love what you've done with both Charlotte and Las Vegas. While I always liked the Knights' previous color scheme, it's hard to make old gold work with their new shade of blue so dropping it was a smart idea. I'm also really liking the version with dark purple that @DCarp1231 suggested! Any chance we could see the set with Knights' new "C" logo

For Vegas, any thought to adding some front numbers?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love what you've done with both Charlotte and Las Vegas. While I always liked the Knights' previous color scheme, it's hard to make old gold work with their new shade of blue so dropping it was a smart idea. I'm also really liking the version with dark purple that @DCarp1231 suggested! Any chance we could see the set with Knights' new "C" logo

Thanks! To be honest I'm not much of a fan of the new "C" logo, or the updated knight that came with it, I much prefer the previous version.

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

For Vegas, any thought to adding some front numbers?

I definitely thought about it, but I'm not sure of a font that would fit well for them. Any suggestions?

Louisville Bats

The Minor League team was purple & black before switching to navy & red, so I combined the two to create a unique (& in my mind, underrated) color scheme for MLB.

EDIT: Minor update to the cream alt: I decided to go with the caroon bat on the sleeves to add to the fauxback 50's aesthetic.

LusDHVq.png

3fOOffL.png

SDj51HI.png

h2Lc5yx.png

• Like 11
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (3/6 Louisville Bats)
8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks! To be honest I'm not much of a fan of the new "C" logo, or the updated knight that came with it, I much prefer the previous version.

I definitely thought about it, but I'm not sure of a font that would fit well for them. Any suggestions?

I actually don't think either of the Knights "C" logos have been any good. The previous version reeks of cheap late 2000s MiLB design, and the new version is not much of an improvement. 

As for the Aviators numbers, I think this font could work.

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Louisville Bats

The Minor League team was purple & black before switching to navy & red, so I combined the two to create a unique (& in my mind, underrated) color scheme for MLB.

0JGEzDv.png

RCBWr5v.png

TjUeiws.png

glmLeZ0.png

I've always felt the Bats have a strong, clean identity that would translate well to the Majors, and this concept just reinforces that. Nice work! 

Which division would the Bats join? I assume the Knights would be the for AL Central. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

As for the Aviators numbers, I think this font could work.

I think you managed to find the exact font the Aviators use, maybe with the slightest of adjustments. Thanks! Here's how it looks on the home jersey:

ec55Zd8.png

I think it works pretty well!

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I've always felt the Bats have a strong, clean identity that would translate well to the Majors, and this concept just reinforces that. Nice work! 

Which division would the Bats join? I assume the Knights would be the for AL Central. 

Thanks! I actually imagined the Knights in the AL East, and the Bats in the Central (AL or NL, either way).

• Like 4

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (4/6 Montréal Expos)
19 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I think you managed to find the exact font the Aviators use, maybe with the slightest of adjustments. Thanks! Here's how it looks on the home jersey:

ec55Zd8.png

No problem! I used the “What the Font” tool on MyFont.com to find something closely resembling if not identical to the Aviators’ font. 

The Expos also look great, exactly how they should. 

• Like 1

Nashville Sounds

I combined their current logos with a previous color palette of theirs, while adding racing pinstripes that resemble guitar strings, to create a look that would be unique to MLB & hopefully captures the essence of Nashville.

wDBonRR.png

C7Uv3zT.png

70LCdVx.png

2CrFPjB.png

• Like 13
  • Love 4

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (5/6 Nashville Sounds)

Expos look solid; no need to stray from their classic look.

Aviators look really slick, especially with the front number. That alternate jersey is really gorgeous.  Curious how the set would look with more of an old gold (a la Knights & Aces) than an athletic gold.

Louisville looks nearly perfect; their set works so much more gorgeously in purple! I would say that the contrast is too low between the red text on the purple roundel, though.

Certainly, this color scheme for Nashville is more interesting than their current red/blue. Good call to ditch the "NASH" jersey. Reviving their old pick logo like you've done is a good idea, but you should make the N bigger so it extends beyond the edges of the pick. Plus, I'm kinda missing the rest of their current logo suite.

Would be fun to have non-tonal guitar strings on at least one jersey!

Lastly, I'd appreciate seeing the set in primarily yellow for some city synergy and uniqueness in MLB...

Anyways, excited to see the last team!

• Like 2

I figured the Sounds would be part of this, and you did not disappoint. One complaint (or more of an observation) is that the color scheme is very similar to the Aviators. Perhaps a dark navy blue would work just as well and separate the set from the Aviators a bit more. On its own, though, the colors work fine.

Also, the guitar strings on the sleeves are too thin and subtle for my tastes; in fact, I think they'd be almost invisible from a distance. I agree with @vtgco that the strings should contrast with the rest of the jersey so they pop better. Here's an example

Looking forward to the sixth team! 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

Aviators look really slick, especially with the front number. That alternate jersey is really gorgeous.  Curious how the set would look with more of an old gold (a la Knights & Aces) than an athletic gold.

Thanks! This idea had me really intrigued, as I didn't notice until today that the Aviators & Sounds did actually end up having pretty similar color schemes, as @coco1997 pointed out. It was somewhat tough to implement, as the "gradient" effect no longer worked. Here's my attempt though:

FXZxyGv.png

OxNvI4o.png

vGkHco2.png

I quite like it! It ended up being mostly black & gold with red acting as an accent, but I think it worked out pretty well.

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

Louisville looks nearly perfect; their set works so much more gorgeously in purple! I would say that the contrast is too low between the red text on the purple roundel, though.

I noticed that today too, I've updated the logo to have white letters.

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

Certainly, this color scheme for Nashville is more interesting than their current red/blue. Good call to ditch the "NASH" jersey. Reviving their old pick logo like you've done is a good idea, but you should make the N bigger so it extends beyond the edges of the pick. Plus, I'm kinda missing the rest of their current logo suite.

Would be fun to have non-tonal guitar strings on at least one jersey!

Lastly, I'd appreciate seeing the set in primarily yellow for some city synergy and uniqueness in MLB...

Anyways, excited to see the last team!

I did have a throwback design that included one of their roundel logos, I only didn't include it because I limited myself to 4 jerseys per team. You could say it'd be their "Cooperstown Collection" design:

iH8Yutx.png

I'll try to work on diversifying their patch designs to include some of the other logos in there, since I agree with you they are really nice. 

As for the "city synergy," do you mean with the Predators' navy & yellow? I fear if I made the set mostly black & yellow, it would veer too much into Pirates territory.

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Also, the guitar strings on the sleeves are too thin and subtle for my tastes; in fact, I think they'd be almost invisible from a distance. I agree with @vtgco that the strings should contrast with the rest of the jersey so they pop better. Here's an example

Looking forward to the sixth team! 

To address the guitar string comment that both you & @vtgco mentioned: the guitar strings actually were more pronounced originally, but the Twins' subtle pinstripes actually inspired me to make them more subdued. I'd be okay with the guitar strings not being as visible from a distance, as I didn't want them to be too bold.

16 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Curious to see the Knights in the teal and purple of the Hornets and with the Caballeros Cap logo, as those colours pop and that logo is probably the best the Knights have had.

I might end up trying that out! I forgot they had that logo, I really like it too.

Thank you all for your feedback! I truly appreciate it.

• Like 5