MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (6/6 Portland Beavers; Mini-Series Complete)

MJD7

Thank you for following along on this little mini-series!

yLHalJX.png

Also, thank you to anyone who followed along with my MLB x NIKE refresh in 2022! I've truly enjoyed creating and sharing my designs, and hopefully you've enjoyed viewing them, too.

My website is now updated with the expansion teams.

I have lots of exciting things coming in 2023, so stay tuned!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

Been waiting to give my full thoughts on this series until you finished, so now's the time! Great work overall, as usual.

CLT: Agreed on going to blue and I love that you kept the pinstripes. I do wish the gold had been kept though, I think it's a really cool accent color that would help separate the Knights from other teams while blue unifies the city. My favorite jersey is absolutely the blue one, really really nice job. I'm not as big on the purple, but I still like it. I'll also second that their old logo is better than their new one, and the old Caballeros logo was better than both. Still a team I'd love to support.

LV: I really like the block gradient you've used here although I can't help but notice it's a lot like the Astros' Tequila Sunrise. Not a bad thing, and I think they're different enough to work, but might be worth noting. As a vest jersey hater I'm not huge on the all-black sleeves, maybe just a large stripe of black would work. The black alt is perfect, no notes on this one. Great set. The old gold isn't working for me, I'd rather keep the gradient.

LOU: Nice move switching to purple. Not nearly enough of it in MLB and purple plus red is a unique color combo you rarely see. The red outline on the road script (which is gorgeous) clashes a little with the gray base, but I don't know how to fix it. The cream fauxback is excellent, easily my favorite Bats jersey you made.

MTL: What can I say, it's the Expos at their best. That powder blue throwback is class.

NSH: I've always loved the Sounds' logos (especially from their most recent rebrand) so I love that you use them here. That said, it feels a little busy, and a little minor league in a way. I think it's the black creating double outlines that's not working for me. As Coco noted, the Sounds and Aviators color schemes are very similar, so maybe dropping the black and going straight red and gold would fix it. Other than that, the jerseys are great. I'll echo that the racing pinstripes could be a little bolder to stand out more. The "Cooperstown Collection" is definitely more of what I'm thinking of, but I'd drop the white stroke between the red and gold.

POR: Yes, yes, yes to the color scheme. The maroon and green combo is great. The logo is a little tough to read at a distance but I think that's fine. I love the T-bar striping on the jerseys, but I wish there was more green to be seen. It's too nice a color to be relegated to outlines. A green jersey would be particularly slick.

Overall a fantastic set of teams that would all instantly be some of the best-looking in the MLB if they were real. Awesome work and I can't wait to see what's next!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks! This idea had me really intrigued, as I didn't notice until today that the Aviators & Sounds did actually end up having pretty similar color schemes, as @coco1997 pointed out. It was somewhat tough to implement, as the "gradient" effect no longer worked. Here's my attempt though:

I quite like it! It ended up being mostly black & gold with red acting as an accent, but I think it worked out pretty well.

Doesn't look bad with the all-gold stripes, but I far prefer the gradient version... I was kinda just thinking you'd desaturate the yellow in the existing gradient-ed setup.

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I noticed that today too, I've updated the logo to have white letters.

Much better!

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I did have a throwback design that included one of their roundel logos, I only didn't include it because I limited myself to 4 jerseys per team. You could say it'd be their "Cooperstown Collection" design:

I'll try to work on diversifying their patch designs to include some of the other logos in there, since I agree with you they are really nice. 

As for the "city synergy," do you mean with the Predators' navy & yellow? I fear if I made the set mostly black & yellow, it would veer too much into Pirates territory.

To address the guitar string comment that both you & @vtgco mentioned: the guitar strings actually were more pronounced originally, but the Twins' subtle pinstripes actually inspired me to make them more subdued. I'd be okay with the guitar strings not being as visible from a distance, as I didn't want them to be too bold.

That yellow and red only jersey is gorgeous! Works well with that roundel, too. No changes needed.

Yeah, I did mean synergy with the Preds' yellow base, but I forgot that the Pirates used to wear red accents. Like @CDCLT suggests, you could go a whole set in primarily yellow/athletic gold & white, with red outlines/accents, and that'd work well! Maybe that way you could have one more traditional yellow alternate jersey and one modern yellow jersey with some more obvious stripes.

I always hesitate to see the Portland Beavers brand promoted to MLB in concepts, since it's one thing for a minor league team to coexist with the Oregon State Beavers but it's another for a major league team. Anyways, disregarding that, it's a gorgeous recoloring that really feels apt for Portland; much more so than the old double-blue. Not to keep parroting @CDCLT , but they make a good point about using more green... And I feel the same way as they do about this roundel's contrast and as I did about Louisville's; it's doubly odd for it to use so much green when there's so little in the uniform.

Anyways, congrats on the good work and Happy New Year!

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Beavers turned out perfectly. Nice work on this series!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Been waiting to give my full thoughts on this series until you finished, so now's the time! Great work overall, as usual.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I'll go through them individually:

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

CLT: Agreed on going to blue and I love that you kept the pinstripes. I do wish the gold had been kept though, I think it's a really cool accent color that would help separate the Knights from other teams while blue unifies the city. My favorite jersey is absolutely the blue one, really really nice job. I'm not as big on the purple, but I still like it. I'll also second that their old logo is better than their new one, and the old Caballeros logo was better than both. Still a team I'd love to support.

I did really want to keep gold as an accent too, but I just couldn't figure out a way to do it without, say, adding an outline to the patch logo (which in my mind would just clutter an already fine logo). I'm definitely gonna try to see if I can do something with that Caballeros logo, and maybe the color scheme, as well.

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

LV: I really like the block gradient you've used here although I can't help but notice it's a lot like the Astros' Tequila Sunrise. Not a bad thing, and I think they're different enough to work, but might be worth noting. As a vest jersey hater I'm not huge on the all-black sleeves, maybe just a large stripe of black would work. The black alt is perfect, no notes on this one. Great set. The old gold isn't working for me, I'd rather keep the gradient.

Yeah, I knew it would be similar to the Astros' tequila sunrise going in; the actual Aviators are even more similar since they use navy, which I replaced with black. Maybe I could find a way to make it an actual gradient instead of a block gradient, but that would just look like their City Connect.

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

LOU: Nice move switching to purple. Not nearly enough of it in MLB and purple plus red is a unique color combo you rarely see. The red outline on the road script (which is gorgeous) clashes a little with the gray base, but I don't know how to fix it. The cream fauxback is excellent, easily my favorite Bats jersey you made.

I don't think the away jersey would be much of an issue, but maybe adding a white outline would help:

y6sVj1v.png

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

NSH: I've always loved the Sounds' logos (especially from their most recent rebrand) so I love that you use them here. That said, it feels a little busy, and a little minor league in a way. I think it's the black creating double outlines that's not working for me. As Coco noted, the Sounds and Aviators color schemes are very similar, so maybe dropping the black and going straight red and gold would fix it. Other than that, the jerseys are great. I'll echo that the racing pinstripes could be a little bolder to stand out more. The "Cooperstown Collection" is definitely more of what I'm thinking of, but I'd drop the white stroke between the red and gold.

Nashville actually ended up being one of my favorite sets, but your criticisms are fair. Since you, @vtgco, & @coco1997 all suggested more prominent racing pinstripes, here's an attempt at an update, which includes your suggestion to try just red & gold (or yellow-orange):

U3031YC.png

GzdNPVy.png

26bQ9q4.png

O0TC5p2.png

I probably prefer the set with black, but I can't say I don't like this, either.

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

POR: Yes, yes, yes to the color scheme. The maroon and green combo is great. The logo is a little tough to read at a distance but I think that's fine. I love the T-bar striping on the jerseys, but I wish there was more green to be seen. It's too nice a color to be relegated to outlines. A green jersey would be particularly slick.

Someone on Twitter requested a green jersey as well, so here's a look:

1v6zhu7.png

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Overall a fantastic set of teams that would all instantly be some of the best-looking in the MLB if they were real. Awesome work and I can't wait to see what's next!

Thank you so much again! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, vtgco said:

Doesn't look bad with the all-gold stripes, but I far prefer the gradient version... I was kinda just thinking you'd desaturate the yellow in the existing gradient-ed setup.

I did try that, but it didn't work nearly as well as the more saturated version. It didn't read at all like the red rocks of the West.

2 hours ago, vtgco said:

That yellow and red only jersey is gorgeous! Works well with that roundel, too. No changes needed.

Yeah, I did mean synergy with the Preds' yellow base, but I forgot that the Pirates used to wear red accents. Like @CDCLT suggests, you could go a whole set in primarily yellow/athletic gold & white, with red outlines/accents, and that'd work well! Maybe that way you could have one more traditional yellow alternate jersey and one modern yellow jersey with some more obvious stripes.

I always hesitate to see the Portland Beavers brand promoted to MLB in concepts, since it's one thing for a minor league team to coexist with the Oregon State Beavers but it's another for a major league team. Anyways, disregarding that, it's a gorgeous recoloring that really feels apt for Portland; much more so than the old double-blue. Not to keep parroting @CDCLT , but they make a good point about using more green... And I feel the same way as they do about this roundel's contrast and as I did about Louisville's; it's doubly odd for it to use so much green when there's so little in the uniform.

Anyways, congrats on the good work and Happy New Year!

Check my replies above to see your suggestions, hopefully you'll like them!

As for the sleeve logo, I had quite a bit of difficulty figuring out how to color that one, and I'm not entirely satisfied with it, either. I might try to rework it or simplify to just the beaver.

Thanks for your feedback, and Happy New Year to you too!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB x NIKE Expansion Team Proposals (6/6 Portland Beavers; Mini-Series Complete)
3 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Love that updated color scheme for the Sounds and probably prefer it to your first version. Reminds me a lot of the creamsicle-era Buccaneers. 

Maybe it's because I'm of a certain age, but I can't look at that Nashville concept without first thinking of the old Albuquerque Dukes of the Pacific Coast League. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love that updated color scheme for the Sounds and probably prefer it to your first version. Reminds me a lot of the creamsicle-era Buccaneers. 

I definitely got those same vibes too, not a bad uniform to be inspired by for sure!

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe it's because I'm of a certain age, but I can't look at that Nashville concept without first thinking of the old Albuquerque Dukes of the Pacific Coast League. 

It's a great color scheme, one that feels missing in MLB, to be honest. I've long thought that the Angels could pull it off, but I don't think I've ever quite gotten to work right with their current wordmarks.

• Like 1