Washington Capitals Alternate Logo

fortunat1

The Capitals' brand has been stale for a while now, and there's been lots of discussion regarding their colors and logos. Ideally, the Capitals would change to a color scheme that resembles their 90s-00s color scheme. That's why I restored their uniquely-DC color scheme, with the only difference being a change from gold to copper. While maintaining a similar color scheme to the past, my ideal Capitals would have less emphasis on black, and save it solely for accents. The DC is intended to create a Washington-specific logo that doesn't have any W imagery. The stars and stripes from DC's flag can also be found within the letter D.

These particular concepts are intended to display how this logo would be applied on a blue background or jersey. Since this particular logo is intended to be used in small applications (such as a shoulder patch), I would appreciate feedback on the color balance that looks best and maintains contrast. I'm still working on the color balance for other versions of the logo, which should be posted some time later. All other suggestions are appreciated as well.

PK5W8ze.png

p76tw6w.png

Smooth out the angles (looks dated IMO, like the U of Cincinnati logo below from the 70s);

Cincinnati Bearcats (1977 - 1988)

Maybe make the curved parts of the D and C rounded like the ends of the hockey rink. The Nats' old DC did this, but the insides of the letters were more squared off. With your wider logo, I think it'd look even better. 

Washington Nationals (2011 - Pres)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I appreciate the feedback! The rounded edges suggestion was very helpful.

I decided to drop the black, as I don't think it has enough contrast when directly touching the blue background. While changing the corners from sharp to rounded, an issue came up - I wasn't satisfied with the fully rounded version because it eliminated a decent bit of the flag's stripes, making it even harder to interpret. As a result I made 3 different versions of the new logo, and put them each into one image so y'all can see the differences and decide which version looks best. Some changes were also made to the size of the stars and stripes, but that was a minor edit and was done to fill the space better.

1) Original

2) 3/4 Rounded

3) 1/2 Rounded

4) Fully Rounded

V0YAFUZ.png

Other changes can be made later if none of these are your ideal version of the logo, such as making the inner corners 90 degrees, or letting the outlines overlap each other (like this). Once I find the design that I (and others) are satisfied with, I can upload versions of it that display how it looks in different applications. C&C appreciated

• Like 1