NBA • Brooklyn Nets Rebrand

timberwolf

Hey all,

I'm back with a rebrand of the Brooklyn Nets.

I've never disliked the current Nets brand, but I've never liked it either. It's very basic and bland (to me).

I do, however, love the colours and I think black/white/grey is very sharp when used correctly.

Here's my attempt. There have been a number of high-quality Nets redesigns so I tried to make mine unique. The shield, halo, Brooklyn Bridge, and some familiar basketball lines all made the cut.

spacer.png

When the main mark is sorted out - I plan on doing a full set, with alternates, wordmarks, uniforms, jackets, etc.

Let me know any comments and feedback! I'd love to hear it.

• Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

I'm a big fan of the Nets' uniforms -- had their main (Association/Icon) looks grown up with and succeeded alongside the Lakers' and Celtics', I think they'd be seen as similarly timeless. I also think they've had some of the best alternate uniforms throughout the current Nike era. However, that being said, I think their logos leave a lot to be desired -- they're bland, uninspired, and lacking character unique to Brooklyn as a borough and the Nets as a franchise.

I really like your initial work here! It retains the straightforwardness of their current marks, but adds distinct layers that make it something they and only they could have. 

One thing that may be worth exploring is how to best use each of the elements you've selected. While the relevance of each element is clear, it feels a bit disjointed and overwhelming when combined to form a single mark. Perhaps the shield and Brooklyn bridge could be its own mark? The colors and shapes look really clean, and I really think it could stand out on its own as a secondary mark. The halo/rim and a more prominent basketball - with or without the shield - could then be the primary mark.

I'm not well-versed in crafting logos, so definitely take my opinion with a large grain of salt. Hopefully this helps, though, and I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This concept is sweet. The 2000s hoop logo never worked for me because of the skewed angle, but this pays homage while looking less cartoony and clip-art-esque.

I find the current brand pretty dull but a shield COULD work and I appreciate this actually trying to tie in Brooklyn. I don't love their colors (Spurs already own em IMO) BUT it has allowed them to use a blank canvass of sorts with regard to alternates, which is cool.

My one note would be on the basketball portion of the bridge. The lines are elongated so it doesn't quite read right. I would be interested in either seeing the shield shape shifted to make it match the spherical look of a ball OR changing direction a bit to make the effect more net-looking. But as-is I'd take it over what they have easily.

Question: Is the top of the bridge supposed to look like a headband? IDK if intentional but it's cute.

• Love 1

Gorgeous work! I think my main suggestion would be to shrink the hoop horizontally so there's not that empty space between it and the shield. Otherwise, everything comes together really well IMO.

Not necessary, but you might also consider flattening out the bottom point of the shield; that way, the shape below the hoop would be more suggestive of a net.

Excited to see the rest of the branding package!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I actually love the black and gold for Brooklyn. I know Utah just started using that but I think we can all agree that was a mistake. Of the second batch of logos, the bottom left (bridge in shield) would be a great partial as well as the top middle. As for the primary, try what you have with the bottom right but make the top of the bridge logo you've used be the top of the shield. That might be a good way to incorporate both the shield idea and the bridge idea into the same primary logo. I also think a slightly thicker black around the rim on the bottom right would make it stand out a little more. Try matching the thickness of the basketball seams and the rim outline. Overall really good work and all of these are better than their current "blanding"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, MDTrey4 said:

I actually love the black and gold for Brooklyn. I know Utah just started using that but I think we can all agree that was a mistake. Of the second batch of logos, the bottom left (bridge in shield) would be a great partial as well as the top middle. As for the primary, try what you have with the bottom right but make the top of the bridge logo you've used be the top of the shield. That might be a good way to incorporate both the shield idea and the bridge idea into the same primary logo. I also think a slightly thicker black around the rim on the bottom right would make it stand out a little more. Try matching the thickness of the basketball seams and the rim outline. Overall really good work and all of these are better than their current "blanding"

Love the feedback! How about something like this?

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, -Akronite- said:

My one note would be on the basketball portion of the bridge. The lines are elongated so it doesn't quite read right. I would be interested in either seeing the shield shape shifted to make it match the spherical look of a ball OR changing direction a bit to make the effect more net-looking. But as-is I'd take it over what they have easily.

Lots of potential here. But I agree with @-Akronite- and @vtgco that the shape of the basketball feels off. I like the idea of shaping it more like a basketball net.  The use of the bridge morphing into a net below the rim would be really clever. 

• Love 1

Really like these updates -- the blackletter B and bridge/shield logo are both outstanding!

The black/white/yellow color palette is intriguing, as yellow worked nicely on the Biggie fashion jerseys. I think it ultimately depends on how it could be used across uniforms, apparel, etc.

For the primary mark, I'm curious about the perspective of the rim. It's as if we're looking downward at it, which in turn makes the lower arc of the 'NETS' wordmark a bit awkward. I wonder if flipping the perspective - so we're looking upward at it, similar to the '90s/'00s logo - could help, as it would then make for a more natural 'NETS' wordmark that could be peeled for use on uniforms, apparel, etc. I suppose it may then mess with the bottom ball/net, though.

Really impressed by the progress so far, and can't wait to see more!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I love all the feedback! Here's another idea with the perspective changed a bit. I think we're getting closer and closer to a solid mark.

spacer.png

Edit - I just realized this is my 1000th post on the Boards. Cool milestone.

Edited by timberwolf
1k!
  • Like 3

Maybe I'm not in the majority here, but I feel like you had it pretty close the first time!

The original basketball behind the columns of the bridge tower looked quite good. I think moving the tower elements to the top of the shield doesn't really read as the Brooklyn Bridge to me, and so IMO it comes off a tad generic (not as bad as the actual IRL design though lol!)

All I meant about resembling a net was that you could have the bottom of the shield end be a flat horizontal edge rather than a full corner. The combined basketball seams/net thing you're going for could work, but I think the left & right edges would need to not be perfectly vertical lines...

The tighter hoop is a big improvement, though; that's exactly what I had in mind!

• Love 1