More Reverse Retro Concepts: 11. St Louis Blues

colinturner95

If you think I'm posting this to distract myself from the fact I'm moving across the country in like 2 weeks, you're absolutely right. 

It's All-Star Break, feels like a good time to do something NHL related. Now, I don't know if it was just me, but RR 2.0 feels like it didn't quite live up to what we got with 1.0. Just my opinion, which there's going to be a lot of in this thread. Basically, I went and looked at all 32 uniforms, made a list of how I viewed them 1-32 and will go off of that. Probably gonna have to some homerish picks, some biased picks. It's my opinion and that's how it's gonna go:

32. Columbus Blue Jackets:

Photo of #38 Boone Jenner smiling on the ice during warmups wearing the Blue Jackets black and blue Reverse Retro jersey.

The black felt shoehorned on the inspiration jersey. It didn't age any better on the Reverse Retro. Also something I just noticed, is the difference in blues between the sleeve blues and the logo blues. I have more thoughts but at risk of trouble on here, I will keep those to myself. 

If you're expecting a Cleveland Barons RR: click here.  If you're expecting a Columbus Chill RR: click here or here.

N5eb5eR.png RisKXd6.png  W6DmRm8.png

The new options for Columbus come from 3 of the larger cities in Ohio, each with some degree of hockey history: 

Option 1: The Columbus Checkers had an IHL lifespan of just 4 seasons, but made up for it with some really fun uniforms. The Blue Jackets carry that over in navy, red and white. 

Option 2: The Cincinnati Stingers had a slightly longer lease on life. For this take, the Blue Jackets flip the 1977 gold uniforms into their colors and gets some electric green in the recolored logo

Option 3:  "but I already did a Cleveland Barons Reverse Retro". I did, for the NHL team. Not the AHL team that had an impressive run of 10 Calder Cups before their dissolution. The Blue Jackets take their 50's era uniform and add some red to it. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

All three are really fun, and I could see each looking really awesome on the ice!

It’s hard for me to pick a favorite, I think I’d lean towards #3 (it’d make for a great Winter Classic set, BTW), but I also really appreciate the “Stinger” nod of #2. That little bit of electric green integrated into the Stingers logo just works so well for a quirky Reverse Retro theme. It kind of looks like that was Stinger the mascot all along. Really great idea there, and great work all around!

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

31. Carolina Hurricanes

Canes Reveal Reverse Retro 2022 Jersey

Only reason this is higher than CBJ is because it's actually a decent jersey. However, it is a reverse, but not a retro when you consider the fact that the jersey its based off of is less than five years old. 

aOXbH2W.png

Unlike Columbus, the Hurricanes only get one option, but they really only needed one. No more Whalers re-colors, went back to their Cup-winning uniforms with a back base this time. This also includes the helmet, gloves, pants and everything else. Not really much else to say about these. I had done these in grey previously, which you could see here if you want. 

C&C welcome!

On 1/30/2023 at 6:13 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

All three are really fun, and I could see each looking really awesome on the ice!

It’s hard for me to pick a favorite, I think I’d lean towards #3 (it’d make for a great Winter Classic set, BTW), but I also really appreciate the “Stinger” nod of #2. That little bit of electric green integrated into the Stingers logo just works so well for a quirky Reverse Retro theme. It kind of looks like that was Stinger the mascot all along. Really great idea there, and great work all around!

The third option definitely has more of a Winter Classic vibe to it, but I had a jersey from the 2 of the 3 major cities and I liked the look of the Barons unis so it rounded it out nicely. 

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 31. Carolina

30. Philadelphia Flyers

Flyers bust out the 80's Cooperalls in glorious reverse-retro debut

In all honesty, the bottom half of my rankings of RR 2.0 feel interchangeable. A lot of teams ended up down here due to laziness or lack of true options. Something Philly ends up with, which is unfair given the true lack of options the Flyers had to work with. But the Cooperalls in warmups really should have moved them up a little. 

9SMPWGI.png sN7zKfU.png

So instead of sticking within their NHL history, the Flyers reach out to a team that lasted for just one season in Philly, the WHA's Philadelphia Blazers. In Reverse Retro fashion, the Blazers wordmark now reads Flyers, with a slight change to the shoulders which now have the Winged P logo and move the numbers down from the shoulders. I did offer up a second option just because, going more for an orange heavy look, with orange pants and gloves, similar to what Edmonton did with RR 1.0. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 30. Philly

29. Ottawa Senators

NHL on Twitter: "GOODNESS 😍 Feast your eyes on the new @Senators # ReverseRetro threads! Inspired by the team's first third jersey from the  1997 season, the uniform features curved stripes and on

Ottawa ranks lower than some jerseys on this list mostly because of my personal disdain for the team's choice to full send back to the inaugural look when there were better options and concepts available. Plus the Sens 2.0 attempts come off as lazy to me. As I have written on my rankings/notes, "white would go a long way here" 

Z1h4Xr1.png

White goes a long way here, and takes over the whole uniform. The stealth idea of the IRL uniform initially dissuaded me from reusing this uniform, but it realistically was one of the few options I felt I had left. The OG Sens don't provide anything other than a barberpole. The 1.0 uniform was basically just an alternate uniform. So the swooping alternate was the last plausible choice. If you think I'm leaving out the laurel leaf uniform, you can see my previous stab at that here. Plus as a bonus from my 3 Acts, what the Sens could have done with 2.0. 

w3SNRav.png 

C&C welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 29. Ottawa

28. New York Islanders

2022 Reebok's 'Reverse Retro' NHL jerseys

Look, I'm of the opinion that the Fishsticks uniforms should never have existed. The Islanders feel like one of those teams that should have worn the same uniform style since day one and never deviated, think Red Wings, Blackhawks, Canadiens. But I digress. That isn't how it worked. But these uniforms are complete bastardizations of uniforms that have oddly grown on a lot of people. 

cGF0CWV.png

In keeping with what Lou has wanted and done for the team's Reverse Retros, I kept it largely still in the current colors, but added in the teal from the actual fishstick uniforms. Beyond that, it's a much truer take on the reviled uniforms of the 90's. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 28. NY Islanders

27. Colorado Avalanche 

NHL on Twitter: "New threads, who dis? 🤩 These @Avalanche #ReverseRetro  jerseys pay tribute to its home state by incorporating colors of the  Colorado flag while reintroducing the original jersey design donned

I don't have an issue with the colors, which I love honestly. For me it's a similar situation with Carolina, the jerseys are too similar (or don't qualify as retro) to the current look. Plus I wouldn't have gone with the C on the chest, even if it is technically a recolored alternate logo and fits with the theme. 

5rcPrgi.png

That being said, it feels weird flipping a Reebok Edge alternate, but with the Colorado down the chest, it just worked better in my head. So like I mentioned, the Avs blue Reebok jersey gets the reversal here, sticking with the Colorado flag theme. Biggest changes from the original uniform, since Reebok wasn't a fan of hem stripes, added a hem stripe, similar to the style of the yoke stripes. Also used the C logo on the shoulders opposite the recolored A logo. 

C&C Welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 27. Colorado
  • 3 weeks later...

26. New York Rangers

Barclay Goodrow on ice in a New York Rangers reverse retro jersey.

I don't hate these. Lady Liberty looks really good on royal blue. My problem overall with this being the Rangers 2.0 choice, is that it came 2 years after they somewhat lazily brought it back for the first go round. Now, I get it, the Rangers don't have a million choices to work with. But come on, a little effort never hurt. 

qhpgrgn.png

Going outside the family for the Rangers wasn't my first choice. I already tried a reverse of a uniform deep in Rangers' history, the college wordmark style jersey, which flipped to white. But beyond that, nothing else IMO was different enough to reverse (though now that I think about it, a blue version of their current white's might not have been a bad idea). Anyways, like Philly, we look outside the team's history and use something from another NHL New York team: the long gone Americans.

The uniforms go royal blue, with a reworked Amerks crest on the chest, scaled down to 4 stars for 4 Stanley Cup championships. To keep it Rangers, the era appropriate shield sits on the shoulders. White sleeves, red trim at the ends. Kept the pants pretty much the same as they currently wear.  Socks are a bit goofy, but its a solid color flip. 

C&C welcome! I'm gonna try not to be a stranger next time! (plus it would have helped if I hadn't packed my team list on accident 😅

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 26. NY Rangers

25. Florida Panthers 

NHL on Twitter: "Battle of Florida: #ReverseRetro edition. 🌴  https://t.co/WDwpl4Y5VM" / Twitter

Boy am I unsure about these. On one hand, I absolutely love the light blue. So much so that I think Florida needs to find a way to get this color in their uniform repertoire ASAP. But at the same time, I don't know if I love it as it's styled on their 2.0 uniform. Maybe I'm being too critical on these Reverse Retros, it's also a little unfair to Florida, given their relative youth in the NHL. So them being #25 on my list might be lower than they should be but i don't know. After all, it is just my opinion.

brRtos8.png 

So with what I said in mind, I kept the basics of the IRL uniform intact, navy helmet and pants, light blue socks and jersey. Where I shook things up a little bit is I took the stripes and some logo inspiration from the Suncoast Suns, an EHL team that played for a couple seasons (technically in the Tampa area, but it's Florida so that's enough justification for me).  The stripe pattern is pretty close to the Panthers uniforms as it was, but the Suncoast uniforms stripes were big and bold and so are these uniforms' stripes. Also included are some retro inspired logos from the Suns as well. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

24. Dallas Stars 

NHL on Twitter: "The @DallasStars have busted out the #ReverseRetro  threads! ⭐️ The design honors their inaugural 1993-94 season and is remixed  with the club's current colorway with "Victory Green" plus white

In my opinion, this jersey feels kind of lazy. Like, yeah it's something we've never seen, which is the whole point of the Reverse Retro program, but when compared to the uniform it's inspired by, idk, it just feels like we've seen this jersey before. I can't explain it better than that, it just feels like deja vu to me. 

ALWREo0.png

So for the Stars, I didn't deviate from the jersey choice, just the base colors. Went with green instead of black, flipping those colors. I also used the gold from the era just to give it a sense of retro, because IMO, the use of silver makes it feel more alternate than Reverse Retro. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 24. Dallas Stars

23. Edmonton Oilers 

Leon Draisaitl leaves the ice following warmup wearing a navy Edmonton Oilers reverse retro jersey.

I've been kind to a lot of these uniforms I ranked in the bottom 16. This one I was too kind on. For me, it was the timing of the switch back to the Dynasty colors, combined with keeping the navy stealth uniform, and the cherry on top was these. Now, I imagine that the plans for these uniforms were well in motion before Edmonton decided to switch home and roads. But having two navy uniforms, which IMO bear a strange resemblance to each other, even if one has way more white than the other, is not something I vibe with. 

fhsWzrB.png

These are very much not from the Oilers history of uniforms. These come from the Edmonton Flyers of the WHL (the minor pro edition), who captured the Lester Patrick Cup in their penultimate season in the league. For the Oilers, a blue base uniform, with shoulder stripes, not unlike another Flyers hockey team. A reworked crest to say Oilers and a, lets call it, FU sized chest number. Fun fact about the Edm Flyers, "many future NHL stars passed through the Flyers organization. Among them were Al Arbour, Johnny Bucyk, Glenn Hall, Bronco Horvath, and Norm Ullman."

C&C welcome!!

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 23. Edmonton Oilers
  • 2 weeks later...

22. Tampa Bay Lightning 

As I wrote on my notes for these: "unique does not always equal good". The "thunderstorm" uniforms, for lack of a better descriptor, worked when the base of the uniform was blue, but switching the blue for white creates a weird color balance that IMO does not work at all. Points for going for it though. 

BC0SdSy.png

I personally think this is one of my better uniforms in my time on here, granted it was just a Reverse Retro but still. An all timer for me IMO. Most of you might have already seen the blue version of this one I've done in the past.  In keeping with the real life Bolts, this time the uniform goes white, with blue and black stripes around the arms and chest, with a blue double stripe on the hem. This time, since I forgot on the last RR thread I did, the team's current logo on the sleeves as opposed to my reworked logo from the NHL Nike series. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 22. Tampa Bay Lightning

21. Chicago Blackhawks

NHL on Twitter: "#ReverseRetro szn for the @nhlblackhawks has arrived. 👀 Chicago's  Reverse Retro 2022 jersey features a literal interpretation of "Reverse  Retro": reversed placement of black and red colors from the

In the time since I put my rankings together to now, these uniforms have grown on me a lot. And looking through the uniform history for the Hawks, they did the best that they could.  HOWEVER, as a Red Wings fan, I'm going to let my homerism show and rank them lower because I think the two team's uniforms are similar and I'm gonna take the Wings over the Blackhawks any day. 

RBpFqPg.png

In the last ride for the Captain, the Blackhawks go all the way back to the beginning. Taking the day 1 uniform, flipping it white and adding red to the uniform. In the crest, I went with the Winter Classic version, and added the feather colors from the modern logo to the detailing of the vintage logo. Also in the shoulder stripes, I reduced the number of stripes and it turned into the current white uniform sleeve stripes, which I felt was a nice tie into the current look. Otherwise, red gets added into the stripes, and the pants as well. I also went with a black helmet, something I liked from the 2017 WC uniforms. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to More Reverse Retro Concepts: 21. Chicago Blackhawks
4 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

21. Chicago Blackhawks

NHL on Twitter: "#ReverseRetro szn for the @nhlblackhawks has arrived. 👀 Chicago's  Reverse Retro 2022 jersey features a literal interpretation of "Reverse  Retro": reversed placement of black and red colors from the

In the time since I put my rankings together to now, these uniforms have grown on me a lot. And looking through the uniform history for the Hawks, they did the best that they could.  HOWEVER, as a Red Wings fan, I'm going to let my homerism show and rank them lower because I think the two team's uniforms are similar and I'm gonna take the Wings over the Blackhawks any day. 

RBpFqPg.png

In the last ride for the Captain, the Blackhawks go all the way back to the beginning. Taking the day 1 uniform, flipping it white and adding red to the uniform. In the crest, I went with the Winter Classic version, and added the feather colors from the modern logo to the detailing of the vintage logo. Also in the shoulder stripes, I reduced the number of stripes and it turned into the current white uniform sleeve stripes, which I felt was a nice tie into the current look. Otherwise, red gets added into the stripes, and the pants as well. I also went with a black helmet, something I liked from the 2017 WC uniforms. 

C&C welcome!

Just a shred of creativity and ingenuity goes a long way here witht he blackhawks. Great job

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

20. Arizona Coyotes

NHL on Twitter: "These Desert Sienna @ArizonaCoyotes #ReverseRetro jerseys  are stirring up a storm. 🏜️ How are you feeling about them?  https://t.co/9FXGDI3WsJ" / Twitter

I give points for the creativity of going with the desert sienna color as a base, but my gripe with this uniform is that the purple version from a year ago was better, emphasis on the year ago. 

N2DW0qo.png

Looking to get a little more retro with it, I stayed with a previous theme of using the Phoenix Roadrunners, this time, from the WHL before they joined the WHA. Kept the same colors from the Play-In 3 Acts version, this time going with a triple stripe on the sleeves, socks and hem. Logos move to the shoulder, using the current logo with the state outline. COYOTES arched on the chest above a number. 

C&C welcome!

On 4/18/2023 at 6:47 PM, johne9109 said:

Just a shred of creativity and ingenuity goes a long way here witht he blackhawks. Great job

After going through the Blackhawks uniform history, I give the designers credit for doing as well as they did. It wasn't super easy putting something together that was unique. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

19. Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators beat Montreal Canadiens 5-4 | CTV News

Let the record show, I love the light blue. That's not why I middle of the roaded these uniforms. The lack of red really harms these uniforms IMO. Plus the uniforms were supposed to be homaging the Expos and I definitely felt like they could have done a better job of that. 

xJ2RTEQ.png Cbk6Xpy.png

My first attempt was a much more literal Expos hockey uniform, combining the racing stripes from the '81 team, and the Habs' uniform stripes. Not personally my favorite. So I went with another option, this time replacing the Canadiens' stripes with the Expos' stripes. Both uniforms have the same helmet, gloves and pants with the Expos stripes. 

aRsd2DK.png

A third option, likely more suited for a Heritage or Winter Classic, combines the 3 historic Montreal NHL/NHA teams. The Canadiens carry the bulk, as the one remaining team, with the Wanderers lending a solid chest stripe, and the Maroons giving us the sleeve stripes and socks stripes. 

C&C welcome!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png