Super Midwest Conference Hockey

HyamesField

Beginning with the school year 2018-2019, a new "Power Six" conference was formed in the (fictional) National Association of College Athletics (NACA). The new league would take the best programs from three different leagues - the American, the Great American Conference & the Great Lakes Conference. The new league would have twelve members - eight of which sponsor college hockey. Those schools include the University of Michigan, Southern Michigan University, the University of Ohio, the University of Minnesota, the University of Wisconsin, the University of Toronto, the United States Military Academy & the College of the Holy Cross. The four remaining non-hockey playing schools are Midway University (St. Louis, MO), Indianapolis University, the University of Pittsburgh & Ohio State University (Columbus, OH)

I'll be showcasing each program's hockey uniforms in this series. I'll include their logo, nickname, location and real-world university comparison! All uniforms are designed with the Puck Designs template. Highly recommend. 

map.jpg

• Like 1

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-15%20at%201.39.3

The first school to be revealed is... the University of Michigan Captains! Located in Ann Arbor, MI - the real-life comparison on this one is super easy, it's the actual U of Michigan! One of the great powers in NACA history, Michigan is considered a blue-blood athletic department. Although their last national championship was 2013 - they are a national contender year in and year out. They last won the league in 2019 before bowing out in the second round of the NACA tournament. 

Michigan.jpg

Your Michigan looks a lot like Lake Superior State.

Not really sold on the name. I'd prefer something more creative than just lifting the name and colors of the the real life school in that town. Ann Arbor University would work and could lend itself to a cool looking monogram.

School #2 is the University of Ohio! Just like their bitter rivals in Ann Arbor, the Redhawks are a national blue blood and won a national football championship as recently as 2020. Their real-life comparison is a cross between Ohio State & Cincinnati and share the state of Ohio within the SMC with the Ohio State Flyers. Ohio features the classic block "O" logo that's adorned the side of their helmets and uniforms since the beginnings of intercollegiate athletics within the university. 

Ohio features maybe my favorite set of the bunch! The home and road are classics while the two alternates were maybe the most fun I had making hockey sweaters yet!

Ohio.jpg

• Like 1

Next up - the University of Wisconsin located in Green Bay, WI. UW was a hockey powerhouse in the 60s, 70s & 80s - winning 6 national championships over that time. Their home & road uniforms haven't been touched since the golden years and are some of the most classic sweaters in the NACA. 

Wisconsin.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HyamesField said:

Next up - the University of Wisconsin located in Green Bay, WI. UW was a hockey powerhouse in the 60s, 70s & 80s - winning 6 national championships over that time. Their home & road uniforms haven't been touched since the golden years and are some of the most classic sweaters in the NACA. 

Wisconsin.jpg

While I may not care for the fact that your schools names are so close to schools that actually exist, I dig these colors.

Also... hello cigar bar I used to manage! Last building on the left. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 6:15 PM, NicDB said:

While I may not care for the fact that your schools names are so close to schools that actually exist, I dig these colors.

Also... hello cigar bar I used to manage! Last building on the left. 

Appreciate it. Love the color scheme as well. One of my favorites. 

Up next - the University of the Holy Cross located in Chicago, IL! The most powerful catholic university in the world (real-world equivalent Notre Dame), Holy Cross is one of the biggest brands in college sports. National championships are the expectation on the southside of Chicago campus and nothing short of that is accepted. Their hockey uniforms feature a home and road with the traditional colors while the alternate features the fan-favorite "Irish Green"! 

holy-cross.jpg