MLB Tweaks by TheMilkman (NL WEST ADDED JUNE 5, 23)

TheMilkman

Hey y’all! It’s good to be back! Been busy on some new concepts lately and I wanted to share! So far I have 10 teams finished, and hopefully I can finish the entire league. For now though I’m just gonna toss around some random teams I have done and let you guys take a look. As always, let me know what you like or don’t like and let’s have some fun discussing baseball uniforms!

The first team I wanna share with you is the CLEVELAND GUARDIANS!

* They switch from Red/Navy to Red/Black 

* Uniform piping based on historic 1940s Cleveland Indians piping 

* Keeps the updated fonts/logos adding a new cap option

* both alternate tops can be worn with either home white or road grey pants

Like I said, a handful of other teams are already done, so I will be posting them soon too! Keep an eye out for them. I hope you enjoy!

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

The return to the Larry Doby era striping works well for Cleveland, though I would have kept the colours blue and red, changing them is a massive change and it really could do with an explaination. Blue was the teams original colour and they've worn it for most of their history, so some reasoning on why you've changed the colours would be nice, even if it's just there's too many blue and red teams in the MLB and decided to change the blue to black instead of doing what most people do and go with Cavs colours.

The A's look great in the kelly green and sleeve stripes.

@VampyrRabbit sorry for not explaining the color changes to the Guardians. My thinking was they have a brand new identity and if they were going to change their logos then they are free to change their colors. Red and black separates them from the hoard of red and navy teams. They also stand out in my redesigns as they will be one of the only teams to feature a red/black pairing

• Like 2

Still in the AL as just last night I finished up the DETROIT TIGERS!

* Added orange as a true secondary that shows up on each uniform and logo

* Logo drop shadow adds the pop of orange without altering a classic “untouchable” uniform

* New hat options

* Alternate top can be worn with home white and road grey pants

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheMilkman said:

* Logo drop shadow adds the pop of orange without altering a classic “untouchable” uniform

* New hat options

I'll never understand why the Tigers don't just add orange as a full secondary color like this

ZUH86xc.png

On 2023-02-05 at 2:49 PM, TheMilkman said:

@VampyrRabbit sorry for not explaining the color changes to the Guardians. My thinking was they have a brand new identity and if they were going to change their logos then they are free to change their colors. Red and black separates them from the hoard of red and navy teams. They also stand out in my redesigns as they will be one of the only teams to feature a red/black pairing

No need to apologise, just that it helps a great deal giving and explaination, and for people wondering "WTF?" when a big change is presented.

19 hours ago, johne9109 said:

I'll never understand why the Tigers don't just add orange as a full secondary color like this

Their current home is a classic design and elegant in its simplicity, and the Tigers won all of their World Series with just navy on their home uniforms. Most of the concepts I've seen that add orange to the classic jersey have way too much of it and it ruins that elegance. The orange on the concept isn't overbearing on the home and looks pretty good though. I do prefer the Motor City Kitties with just blue at home though.

The road uniform is great, it looks so much nicer with just the orange outline on the script and numbers. Not sold on the alternate though, the drop shadow doesn't work as well as it does for the home, a white D with no drop shadow and pairing the jersey with a white D cap would be an improvement.

Now for one that might get people talking! The Tampa Bay Rays!

Tried to do something brand new with the team. Using colors from their original gradient logos and their fauxback logos, I created a whole new identity, not to mention one that stands out in the league. Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

Not sold on the logo and the wordmark, the two big problems it has is that it's a ripoff of the Padres 1970s script and it also has a representation of the dome of the Trop in the lowercase A. The original wordmarksare pretty cheesy and late 90s/early naughts AF, but they don't have a representation of that monstrosity and have that awesome gradient. I would use the Rays (minus the Devil) on the home and Tampa Bay on the Road.

I like the purple from both the gradient and the one used for the undershirts, belts, hose and cap, but the shade of green is pretty nasty and probably should have been left in the gradient. The shade used between 2001-07 is nicer and also works better with the purple, though the  contrast isn't as great.

There's also no ray anywhere on the uniform, which is a shame as rays (especially Manta Rays) are awesome.

I understand that the Rays aren't the easiest team to work with, as apart from the gradient, their branding has been either sleep inducing (2008 onwards), absolutely reek of cheese and are stuck in a design asthetic that has aged like a banana in the sun (their original look and their first rebrand), or with a fatal flaw (the fauxback look).  The one you came up with isn't bad considering anyone who sticks with those logos hasn't got much to work with.

20 hours ago, TheMilkman said:

Now for one that might get people talking! The Tampa Bay Rays!

Tried to do something brand new with the team. Using colors from their original gradient logos and their fauxback logos, I created a whole new identity, not to mention one that stands out in the league. Thoughts?

This has the potential to be a great set. I like the logos and wordmarks as they feels very Florida (especially Tampa area) What doesn't work for me are the colors. For a team called the Rays I feel like they should have lighter and brighter colors. The green could probably stay as a tertiary color but not as a main color. Maybe try using a lighter blue as the main color with the green and yellow as secondary and tertiary colors. 

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

The Rays look great. My main suggestion would be to figure out a way to avoid having the same wordmark on every single jersey, which is the same problem I have with the Rays' actual uniforms. Maybe the purple road alt could have the green "tb" cap logo on the breast? 

Happy weekend everyone! Thanks for all the feedback on the Rays. I’ll see if I have time to make some changes in the next week or so, but for now, here are the HOUSTON ASTROS!

* Bright orange returns, same shade used in the 80s

* Tequila Sunrise elements that don’t overwhelm the uniform 

* A modernized twist on classic Astros  elements

https://twitter.com/n8millikan/status/1624463261360955393?s=20&t=JpilGYE-z8gpDfPAa2FAEg

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 1:39 PM, TheMilkman said:

* New hat options

Not sold on the idea of using orange with the home uniforms... But that road grey unform is perfection. It looks so much better without white trim on the numbers. 

Nice series so far!

• 1 month later...

I’ve been working on these uniforms off and on, so sorry for the delay! However, I finished the NL Central last night. I have a bit of a new presentation, which shows the division as a whole. I like it bc I think it’s fun to picture possible on-field uniform matchups! Hope you like it too!

HOME UNIFORMS:

7C5C2B08-2EAA-4006-8C03-C3ED2C238AC2

Brewers, Cardinals, and Cubs have no changes; these uniforms are all too good and classic to change too much and the changes I was making in the process weren’t adding anything of value to their looks.

Pirates and Reds do get upgrades though! The Pirates return to a vest uniform with a black undershirt that includes a stitched Pirates logo on the left sleeve. The Reds rightfully go Red! No more black! Wanted to go with pinstripes but relegated them for the alternate set.

AWAY UNIFORMS:

EEC44AF9-38D1-4ECF-AC43-A27F0C29B483

Brewers go with their yellow fronted caps for their full time away look, but the Cards and Cubs still stay classic. Pittsburgh’s new away uniforms with the script “Pittsburgh” is beautiful. Sleeve piping was basically the only addition to this look. Again, no black for the Reds. That white outline on the red font used to shine so brightly off the grey 90s uniforms and I wanted to replicate that in this concept.

HOME ALTERNATE UNIFORMS:

CA6DA0FE-30FA-42FD-822F-D01573696B77

Brewers’ pinstripe uniforms gets sleeve piping to match the rest of their uniform line-up. The Cardinals go with their creme “St. Louis” uniform, and the Cubs stick with their “Walking Cub C” alternate blues. The Pirates get an all new yellow jersey to pair with their home white pants and maybe the occasional black pants for an almost-throwback uniform. And here’s where the Reds bring back their pinstripes - a perfect look for them imo.

AWAY ALTERNATE UNIFORMS:

E971DCCF-9908-4E52-BA0D-B363D98499FC

Brewers stop wearing their yellow fronted caps with their navy uniform and they stop looking like Cub Scouts. The Cardinals get a red alternate and for contrast, a navy hat with the bird-on-bat logo (a hat that can be mixed into the rotation for their other uniforms as well.). The Cubs keep their blue top from their home alt and pair it with their road greys. Pittsburgh goes with their current black top with black script highlighted by a yellow outline. A sharp look! The Reds get a red top, which can be worn with any of their pants.

• Like 2

• TheMilkman changed the title to MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL CONCEPTS (NL CENTRAL FINISHED)

Next to bat are the Chicago White Sox.

79CC82DF-64B4-472B-950E-207AC831C414

The White Sox aren’t a bad looking team by any means, so again no major changes. The biggest change is from black to silver pinstripes on the home. Feels new and fresh and goes along with the home alternates better. Speaking of the home alts they are a more permanent and classy version of their city connect unis. On the away uniforms the fonts are inverted from what they currently sport. 

let me know what you think! I may have time tonight to work on a few other teams as well and can hopefully keep this series amovin’!

• Like 1

• TheMilkman changed the title to MLB Tweaks by TheMilkman (ChiSox added 04/16/23)

Happy Sunday, guys! The Minnesota Twins are up! Their updated uniforms and logo set is really good but I felt like playing around with their colors a bit. The Minnesota Wild have a beautiful color pallette so I went with their colors. Might do a more traditional version in the future with their classic navy and red but we’ll see.

5A448D49-8675-40FA-A74C-CAE154C16C92

I love the classic “Twins” script for the home look, and I did away with front numbers to bring back that Killebrew-era look, too. Some use of yellow drop shadow in the main home and away tops help the script to pop and the green and red sidekick eachother so perfectly. Thought about incorporating a pinstripe uniform in here but thought it was getting too busy at that point. 

C&C greatly appreciated!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1