Victoria High School Rugby

kiwi_canadian

It's been a while since I have posted any type of concept on here. Got back into it after life got in the way and the creative juices are back and flowing. Anyways, for this series, I've decided to recreate some high school rugby teams from Victoria, BC. Victoria area high schools are a hot bed for rugby and have had several national team players come through the city. The Annual Gareth Rees Boot Game is contested between St. Michael's University School and Oak Bay High school, two of the top rugby schools in the province.

The plan for this little series is to do one kit for every high school that has a team competing at some level in the city, whether that be juniors, seniors and/or 7's and to do schools that have had a rugby team at some point. With all of this in mind, this leaves me with about 12 schools in total. So let's get started.

First up is my old high school, the Claremont Spartans. Back when I played, we were not very good... at all. I played 3 years there and we won one game. I'm glad to see they've come back and have the annual Scrum Fest up on the hill there. (I was fortunate enough to take a school to that tournament when I was coaching). Currently they wear the template of the Canterbury design when they first came out with their performance kits. Not very nice. I went back to the school's traditional barber pole design that they had in the 70's and up until when I played. I based the design on the MLR's New England Freejacks kit as well. I also went with an Adidas kit as the school done by Adidas.

TOoVus4.jpg 

• Like 2

Next up are the juggernauts of Victoria high school rugby, Oak Bay Barbarians and the St. Michael's Blue Jags.

Oak Bay: Kept it simple and went with an older design of theirs but changing the colours around, making green the primary, also updated the oak leaf logo

MYiYULY.jpg 

SMUS: Went back to a modified traditional look as it looks good... They had some guy by the name of Steven Nash play for them as well back in the early 90's but he went on to play basketball I guess...

Q6fR8ZL.jpg

• Like 1

Onto the next two schools. First up is the Spectrum Thunder.  The logo is what they currently use. Went with the fading colour transition and a Macron kit.

cbmyghj.jpg

The next up is the Mt. Doug Rams. They currently don't have a rugby program but did back when I played. Went with Adidas as the kit provider and the darker purple is the siloette of PKOLS (the SENĆOŦEN word for the Mout Douglas).

QqX42Vn.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quite like the basic idea behind the Queen Bees jersey design! I assume the pants stripes being kinda jagged is a template issue, but other than that the black pants look surprisingly good here!

Not your fault, but that logo that they use is a real clunker... Wikipedia shows this gorgeous logo for the school; would be good to use that! Not about that old Blue Jackets font's numbers though. If you like the letters for that font you could try something like Brighton Two?

No real issues for Spectrum though I'd be curious to see the wordmark-less logo as the crest and the wordmark large and across the front.

Not really feeling Mt Doug; the yellow horns and the Adidas stripes and collar and cuffs are kinda competing for attention and the Pkols silhouette is a bit too subtle to make out. I might make the Adidas stripes tonal, enlarge the horns, and add a yellow pinstripe outline to the mountain.

St Michaels and Oak Bay are really classy! St Michaels gives me "what the OKC Thunder actually looked good" vibes. And Oak Bay looks way better than the piping-covered jerseys I see on Google Images.

Yeah I can see how they compete with Mt. Doug. Fair point... As for Pkols, I was going for what Adidas did with the Highlanders Super Rugby jersey a few years ago with a subtle tartan design on the kit, one that you would only see up close.

I saw that logo as well for Stelly's but I chose to go with their athletics logo instead... and the font is similar to what the Stingers (boys teams) use, hence the use of the Blue Jackets font.

Next up is the Esquimalt Dockers. They've come a long way since I last played them (My memory of them was going into a ruck and then waking up with the play halfway down the field and me stumbling off the field. This was back in the early 2000's where concusion protocol didn't exist). They have decent program going now but the kit is a standard template design. I went with a Japanese inspired kit using the barber pole look. For a school established in 1915, I feel a classic design works well for them.

O2gGEEi.jpg

• Like 1

Royal Bay is a pretty new school in Victoria and the Ravens use a purple and black colour scheme. Their current look is a pretty awesome Indigenous design but as this is just a concept at which I don't think it will ever be used, I feel okay ditching it. I went with a harlequin design for these guys.

hpNNKDC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Next up is the Reynolds Roadrunners. Kept a nice clean look for the Roadrunners along with the chevron design. Also added the roadrunner silhouette on the back below the collar. Canterbury of NZ would be the kit provider and again on a @sportstemplates rugby template. This is 10 of 12.... Almost at the end.

YcG2OJg.jpg