WBC '23 x Nike - 20/20 (Venezuela)

Victormrey

We’re just one month away from the 2023 World Baseball Classic! After 6 years without the main international baseball event, it’s time to give the 20 teams a fresh new look.

It’s not a secret that a lot of the designs used by baseball national teams are, at least, questionable: from every team wearing the same base design in past editions, to brands pushing the boundaries a bit too far with funky ideas. Therefore, I’ve tried to imagine what would Nike do if they were responsible for designing the WBC ’23 jerseys.

I’ll be using @AusGiant template adapted to MS Paint, creating also some retro and sleeveless variants.

New designs will be posted every Wednesday and Sunday, following an alphabetical order by groups:

POOL A

POOL B

POOL C

POOL D

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did making the designs!

Without further ado, let's start with Chinese Taipei!

The main home and road designs are based on the uniform used by the Kano Baseball Team in 1951, featuring a half-and-half red and blue placket and sleeve piping. The wordmark reads "湾台" (Táiwān):

ggjy4Zb.png

4fHDrD7.png

On the other hand, the alternate jersey was inspired by the 1992 Olympics design, when the team won the silver medal, using the 1983 White Sox style:

boJMHOG.png

C&C is more than welcome!

• Like 14

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 1/20 (Chinese Taipei)
22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Looks great! I like the contrasting headspoon piping. 

22 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Beautiful start.

4 hours ago, shadyloaf said:

Looks great. Would love to see some caps.

Thank you guys!

I haven't make any cap, but, since I saved all the logos I've used, I can make them now! Here's an idea for Chinese Taipei:

VK8ueBX.png

• Like 6

On 2/8/2023 at 4:14 AM, Victormrey said:

On the other hand, the alternate jersey was inspired by the 1992 Olympics design, when the team won the silver medal, using the 1983 White Sox style:

boJMHOG.png

C&C is more than welcome!

I'd tighten up the wordmark on the alternate so that the team name isn't touching the seasoms of the shirt. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/9/2023 at 12:41 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I'd tighten up the wordmark on the alternate so that the team name isn't touching the seasoms of the shirt. 

I think that's more just the sleeves laying over the front of the shirt since the template has the jersey laying flat. Would just fill the entire front of the shirt like the design he had linked

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:46 PM, MDTrey4 said:

I think that's more just the sleeves laying over the front of the shirt since the template has the jersey laying flat. Would just fill the entire front of the shirt like the design he had linked

Exactly! These template can be a little be tricky sometimes, with the sleeves covering some of the logos/wordmarks.

Let's continue the series with Cuba:

The main road and home designs are a combination of eras. The cap and jersey logo is inspired by the uniform used by the national team in 1969, while the pinstripes + piping style and the sleeve patch are based on a Liga Nacional club named "Cuba", which was seeking to draw fans from the whole country to a league born in response to the Cuban League's agreement with the MLB, which was saw at the time as a cede to American interests.

While the home uni features blue pinstripes, I decided to go for a more sublte approach for the road one, while keeping the red piping on both:

pEtnAfg.png

QGNNOZ4.png

For the alt design I wanted to keep it simple, using red as base colour and a sleeve and collar piping based on the national flag:

q2ARzjy.png

As for the caps, I've desisgned one, mainly red, for the the main set, and a second one in blue with a red bill for the alternate jersey:

af5Pc2R.png

• Like 9

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 2/20 (Cuba)

I like that Taiwanese alternate quite a bit, though I'd like to see it with the front number of the original design. I also think the flower shape of the Chinese Taipei Olympic  logo is quite nice, so I would be curious to see it here instead of the plain circle. The sun-only cap is really nice, though!

The primary set is solid, though a bolder (and maybe more stylized) font like in the inspiration would probably be a lot nicer.

The Cuba primary set is gorgeous! And the alt just needs the script and front number stylings to be swapped.

I just hope Colombia's cap is changed a lot because right now your Cuba cap treads on that styling a lot.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 12:49 AM, vtgco said:

I like that Taiwanese alternate quite a bit, though I'd like to see it with the front number of the original design. I also think the flower shape of the Chinese Taipei Olympic  logo is quite nice, so I would be curious to see it here instead of the plain circle. The sun-only cap is really nice, though!

The primary set is solid, though a bolder (and maybe more stylized) font like in the inspiration would probably be a lot nicer.

The Cuba primary set is gorgeous! And the alt just needs the script and front number stylings to be swapped.

I just hope Colombia's cap is changed a lot because right now your Cuba cap treads on that styling a lot.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions!

I think the font suggested perfectly fits the main set for Taiwan. So does the olympic logo, which I've tweaked by making the sun larger:

Oha7tcY.png

x3QH1w8.png

qOPij4A.png

Here's Cuba's alt with the logo and number colours swapped:

1Bw6KOk.png

Regarding Colombia's cap, I'll be drifting away from blue as main colour for them, so I believe their cap will be different enough 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Love what you did with Cuba. The one thing I would say is I think the red cap would actually go better with the red uniform and the blue with red bill would go better with the home and away. Obviously super minute details but just personal preference 

• Love 1

22 hours ago, MDTrey4 said:

Love what you did with Cuba. The one thing I would say is I think the red cap would actually go better with the red uniform and the blue with red bill would go better with the home and away. Obviously super minute details but just personal preference 

Thanks, mate! I used a red cap for Cuba's main set because I imagined it with red undershirts and socks, so it would match the whole set, while the blue cap would create a contrast with the red jersey. However, I think the swapped version would be a nice option as well!

wQ6Z4VZ.png

I thought about using a white C for the blue cap, for visibility's sake, but I think the red one matches better the uniform.

Time for Italy!

Italy is all about fashion and style. And while I think their current wordmark follows that approach, I think their overall look lacks of something to fully get there. That's why I decided to use gold as accent colour.

The main home and road jerseys feature the whole wordmark and front numbers with a golden dropshadow, featuring gold sleeve and collar piping. For the sleeve patch I decided to use the famous Scudetto, which is granted in soccer to the club that wins the Serie A (Italian First Division):

kOb03SU.png

ojNkkZb.png

For the alternate design I wanted to take a soccer-ish approach, using only the "I" from the wordmark, and placing the Scudetto under Nike's swoosh. The jersey also features the iconic Tricolore details often used by the soccer National Team:

70M2ckW.png

The home cap uses a white front panel, while the road and alt variant is mainly blue with a golden bill:

flLworv.png

• Like 11
  • Love 6

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 3/20 (Italy)

Good start to this series so far!

The update to Chinese Taipei is definitely an improvement, I like the dual-colored piping and the addition of the flower onto the sleeve patch, as well as the alternate. 

Although I prefer Cuba’s current logos, I don’t mind this more throwback-oriented approach. The sleeve patch in particular is pretty nice.

The addition of gold is a creative way to distinguish Italy from some of the other blue teams, and I love the flag-colored striping on the alternate.

As a general note, I don’t think you need to have any of the logos/wordmarks obscured by the sleeve, as the Nike press release this template derives from doesn’t appear to cover any of the logos up in the photos.

Even though you beat me to the punch a little bit with this series (😉), I’m looking forward to following the rest of it!

• Love 1

19 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Getting some 2000s Brewers vibes from the Italy hats. I think the I could get confused for a J though. You may want to make some tweaks to that. Wouldn't mind seeing the tricolor used on the home and away striping too. 

I agree with you. Italy's "I" can be a little bit confusing. I tried to fix it by making the bottom end similar to the top:

BxGsL0o.png

Does it look better? The "I" alone would have the same tail on the bottom right than on the top left.

19 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Good start to this series so far!

The update to Chinese Taipei is definitely an improvement, I like the dual-colored piping and the addition of the flower onto the sleeve patch, as well as the alternate. 

Although I prefer Cuba’s current logos, I don’t mind this more throwback-oriented approach. The sleeve patch in particular is pretty nice.

The addition of gold is a creative way to distinguish Italy from some of the other blue teams, and I love the flag-colored striping on the alternate.

As a general note, I don’t think you need to have any of the logos/wordmarks obscured by the sleeve, as the Nike press release this template derives from doesn’t appear to cover any of the logos up in the photos.

Even though you beat me to the punch a little bit with this series (😉), I’m looking forward to following the rest of it!

Thank you for your feedback!

Besides Taiwan and Cuba, no other team will get the wordmark/logo partially covered by the sleeves. I think the "Chinese Taipei" could be an exception, give its size and not being arched, while Cuba's logo would be the same case than the Cubs', being covered just a little bit.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I tried to get an "I" for the caps and the alt jersey. Does this work?

P6WxXkO.png

This is my personal opinion, but I think it will always get confused with a J no matter what, unless you get rid of the tail on the top left (especially when the letter is presented by itself).

• Like 2