WBC '23 x Nike - 20/20 (Venezuela)

Victormrey

22 hours ago, kerlonmoura said:

This is my personal opinion, but I think it will always get confused with a J no matter what, unless you get rid of the tail on the top left (especially when the letter is presented by itself).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts 😉 I'll be working on tweaking and improving Italy's wordmark in the following days.

It's Sunday, which means... Another team! Time for the Netherlands.

The first thing I changed was the colour scheme, changing the black for powder blue, inspired by the Prince's Flag, and following the style sometimes used by the Soccer National Team. I have also brought back the previous version of their wordmark, which was arched and in Dutch, but dropping the crown. Finally, I have make a new "NL" monogram from scratch, using it as cap logo and sleeve patch:

IyaBEP2.png

GsQ10Dk.png

CrwfEh9.png

xrQE8Pm.png

• Like 9

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 4/20 (Netherlands)

Let's wrap up Group A with Panama!

This time I went for a retro look, inspired by the uniform used during the 27th World Baseball Championship, which took place in Korea in 1982. I think their script matches the stlye perfectly:

ES6eX4N.png

8si8SMk.png

For the alternate jersey I tried something different, creating a design inspired by the national flag:

BIN02jz.png

I kept the caps simple, trying to match the set style:

BwhDVwX.png

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 5/20 (Panama)
On 2/18/2023 at 4:00 PM, kerlonmoura said:

This is my personal opinion, but I think it will always get confused with a J no matter what, unless you get rid of the tail on the top left (especially when the letter is presented by itself).

The letter "J" in our alphabet is just a capitalized "I." In the Classical and Medieval periods, there was no distinction. Elongating and curving the bottom of the vertical was just a way to make it more distinctive when writing with a quill nib. In modern Italian, there isn't even a "J" in use except for loan words with the soft "Gi" or "Ge" being used to represent the J sound.

It's why you see inscriptions in churches that say INRI over the crucifix (Iesus Nazerenus Rex Iudaeorum).

It's also where we get the great gag  in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. "Idiot! In Latin Jehovah begins with an "I"."

• Like 3

Your Cuba and Taiwan updates are great; thanks for humoring me!

Italy is gorgeous, and I think that updated script is a nice improvement. I think you could get the cap logo to look like an "I," if you keep some of the rightward stroke that joins with the "t" in the new script.

Netherlands look great in those colors, though maybe red/white/blue flag piping (like the soccer NT does) would be good to avoid the negative connotations of the Prince's Flag while still maintaining orange as the primary color. Certainly ditching the black is a nice move, and I like that we have a powder blue away team! (Would there be powder blue pants too?)

Also kinda miss the aesthetic of the little crown on the N but either way it's fine.

Panama looks excellent, though the navy + red/white/red striping makes the away feel a bit too US to me. I'd stick with red shoulders on it too and/or switch the navy to royal blue.

Also, I would consider adding an accent mark on the final "a".

The alternate is gorgeous; no notes there!

• Love 1

On 2/22/2023 at 3:13 PM, coco1997 said:

The split-styled "Panama" alt is incredible! Probably my favorite design of any team so far. 

I'm glad you like it!

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

Your Cuba and Taiwan updates are great; thanks for humoring me!

Italy is gorgeous, and I think that updated script is a nice improvement. I think you could get the cap logo to look like an "I," if you keep some of the rightward stroke that joins with the "t" in the new script.

Netherlands look great in those colors, though maybe red/white/blue flag piping (like the soccer NT does) would be good to avoid the negative connotations of the Prince's Flag while still maintaining orange as the primary color. Certainly ditching the black is a nice move, and I like that we have a powder blue away team! (Would there be powder blue pants too?)

Also kinda miss the aesthetic of the little crown on the N but either way it's fine.

Panama looks excellent, though the navy + red/white/red striping makes the away feel a bit too US to me. I'd stick with red shoulders on it too and/or switch the navy to royal blue.

Also, I would consider adding an accent mark on the final "a".

The alternate is gorgeous; no notes there!

Thanks once again, mate 😉

I'll be working on Italy's set soon! Let's see how it turns out.

I'm aware of the flag's negative connotations, but since those colours have been used for other sport teams, I went for it. I'd personally rather go for black/orange, in other to avoid yet another blue+red team. If you want, I could give it a shot! As for the crown, I think it adds some distinctive symbolism, but the wordmark without it looks more professional, imho. Maybe I could keep it as sleeve patch and cap logo.

I went for navy sleeves on the road jersey because I think a cold colour matches better the grey base, but I agree with you about the combination looking a bit too USA-ish.

I kept the navy blue wordmark with red outline, like on the home, adding the front number as well:

8x1vt09.png

Also, thanks for your feedback on Panama's alt! I'm glad you guys like a bolder design.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Let's start with Pool B! (Spoiler: it's the group with the boldest designs). Therefore, it's time for Australia.

I found an old-ish (late 90's to early 00's?) picture of the Aussies celebrating in which they seem to be wearing either vests or jerseys with contrasting sleeves. So I wanted to give them a more unique look, going for an all-sleeveless set with placket piping. I have also changed their traditional atheltic gold for lime, which is heavily used on their socials:

sus3U97.png

tgA5Tv7.png

MWiVs1z.png

fWWCtzE.png

• Like 9

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 6/20 (Australia)

Great job on Australia. A few suggestions/requests:

- Since the primary green is so muted, maybe lighten up the road gray just a tad for better contrast with the green piping. I know it's a bit of a balancing act because you also used neon green. 

- For the alt, how about putting the cap logo on the chest in place of the "Australia" script? It's too good not to put front and center and would avoid having three jerseys that all use the same wordmark.

Keep up the awesome work! 

• Like 2

The Aussie jerseys just don't feel like Aussie Jerseys without the green and gold. The dark and lime green looks good, but it doesn't look like Australia.

I would suggest going with gold outlined with dark green for the headspoon on the home and road. 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:19 PM, Victormrey said:

I'm aware of the flag's negative connotations, but since those colours have been used for other sport teams, I went for it. I'd personally rather go for black/orange, in other to avoid yet another blue+red team. If you want, I could give it a shot! As for the crown, I think it adds some distinctive symbolism, but the wordmark without it looks more professional, imho. Maybe I could keep it as sleeve patch and cap logo.

Orange and black would work well for the Dutch, and using the crown for a sleeve patch is a good idea.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great job on Australia. A few suggestions/requests:

- Since the primary green is so muted, maybe lighten up the road gray just a tad for better contrast with the green piping. I know it's a bit of a balancing act because you also used neon green. 

- For the alt, how about putting the cap logo on the chest in place of the "Australia" script? It's too good not to put front and center and would avoid having three jerseys that all use the same wordmark.

Keep up the awesome work! 

10 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The Aussie jerseys just don't feel like Aussie Jerseys without the green and gold. The dark and lime green looks good, but it doesn't look like Australia.

I would suggest going with gold outlined with dark green for the headspoon on the home and road. 

Thank you both for the feedback! Here's the revised Aussie set:

P3VlQfk.png

Nirl9Ii.png

c2yq4h5.png

10 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Orange and black would work well for the Dutch, and using the crown for a sleeve patch is a good idea.

Here's how the home jersey would look:

1hYuP2M.png

• Like 4

Let's continue the series with China!

I decided to keep their classy Old English wordmark for the main home and road jerseys, creating a contrast by using a flashy shade of orange, previously featured on their female away soccer kit. As for the alt design, I went for the "中国" script:

zwy60P6.png

XW1o82k.png

SfVjLyw.png

VcewjbH.png

• Like 7

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 7/20 (China)

Really like the red & peach combo for China. The calligraphic font looks good in this colorway; once again I'm just bummed the alt doesn't go with a similarly calligraphic styling.

Australia looks good in both color schemes, though I do feel that my preference is with the traditional gold... Though now I'm curious about a lime-green-to-yellow gradient a la Devil Rays lol

It's a nice cap logo they use but the outline really weighs it down, especially on the lime green version. Could have the streaks or the stars in a different color if you want more than just white.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:19 PM, Victormrey said:

Yeah I mean I definitely didn't want you to go red INSTEAD of orange, just using it as a minor trim color that only appears in the flag. Definitely orange/white/powder blue as the primary colors are excellent and shouldn't be dropped. (I also feel like Houston teams should go with that scheme too!)

Despite that your black and orange look is fine (though the first white outline on the script is kinda muddy; I think orange with just black outlines would be better.) I do like the crown as a patch a lot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vtgco said:

Really like the red & peach combo for China. The calligraphic font looks good in this colorway; once again I'm just bummed the alt doesn't go with a similarly calligraphic styling.

Thanks! I actually kept the alt wordmark simple because I'm planning to give Japan's alt a Shodo style (if I find a suitable font).

19 hours ago, vtgco said:

Australia looks good in both color schemes, though I do feel that my preference is with the traditional gold... Though now I'm curious about a lime-green-to-yellow gradient a la Devil Rays lol

It's a nice cap logo they use but the outline really weighs it down, especially on the lime green version. Could have the streaks or the stars in a different color if you want more than just white.

I think the gradient idea looks great! What about using it on the cap as well?

0sdHJwa.png

neyexMA.png

• Like 6

Gradient Australia looks great, cap and all, and the cap looks much better outline-less. Thanks for trying it out for me :)

On 3/2/2023 at 7:58 AM, Victormrey said:

Thanks! I actually kept the alt wordmark simple because I'm planning to give Japan's alt a Shodo style (if I find a suitable font).

Well if not a calligraphic form, how about a simple serif font then? Weird to have serifs in English but sans serif in Mandarin lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vtgco said:

Gradient Australia looks great, cap and all, and the cap looks much better outline-less. Thanks for trying it out for me :)

No problem! I think the tweaks look great as well 😁

15 hours ago, vtgco said:

Well if not a calligraphic form, how about a simple serif font then? Weird to have serifs in English but sans serif in Mandarin lol

Agreed, what about now?

eTeOqgx.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The gradient for Australia is an inspired idea! 

For China, I'd personally either darken the red or lighten the orange a bit for some better contrast. Either way, it's an interesting color scheme for the country. 

Thank you! What about leaning towards a more coral/peach shade?

YqrugOi.png

• Love 1

Time for the Czech Republic!

For Czechia I probably made the boldest set of all, which is inspired by František Štorm, a typographer, illustrator, musician, and many other things, born in Prague. First of all, the wordmark takes inspiration from his logos and posters, with the C featuring a downwards arrowhead to both represent the "Č" and the flag's blue triangle. I have also used three different visual styles, inspired by his illustrations for each jersey:

WzlTrAj.png

2GSQsjn.png

alRABzX.png

qQQjapg.png

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 3

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 8/20 (Czechia)

The adjusted peach shade looks so good for China. Might just be context, but the red also looks tweaked for the better.

The Czechia set is beautiful; probably your best yet! Love all of those different patterns, especially that half-tone one on the away. My only complaint is that capitalizing the "o" feels a bit unnecessary.

• Like 1