WBC '23 x Nike - 20/20 (Venezuela)

Victormrey

On 3/5/2023 at 11:21 PM, vtgco said:

The adjusted peach shade looks so good for China. Might just be context, but the red also looks tweaked for the better.

The Czechia set is beautiful; probably your best yet! Love all of those different patterns, especially that half-tone one on the away. My only complaint is that capitalizing the "o" feels a bit unnecessary.

Thanks! I guess the brighter orange shade makes the red hue look a tad different.

And I agree! I think the Czech set is the most inspired one. I used a capital "O" to add more symmetry and make the wordmark stand out a bit more.

On 3/6/2023 at 3:17 AM, dodgerdog16 said:

Dude that Czech Republic set is badass. VERY nice work

On 3/6/2023 at 4:00 AM, GriffinM6 said:

Czechia looks amazing. Reminds me a lot of the Coogi-inspired Brooklyn Nets uniforms. 

Thank you guys for the feedback! I really appreciate it 😁

A new week, a new team: Japan!

I wanted to give "Samurais" a more distinctive look, drifting away from the often repeated blue/red scheme. That's why I've gone for navy + pink, with the later being inspired by the cherry blossom.

For the main home and road jerseys I have kept the pinstripe look, but with more space in between, sort of like the Marlins' City Connect design:

vg61z4Z.png

ZQZcKaA.png

The pink alt features "日本" in shodo style, while the navy alt is a modern interpretation of their 1996 Olympic uniform:

SJd0ItY.png

y3bPFwG.png

unjfO6X.png

• Like 3

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 9/20 (Japan)

I'm not really feeling the pivot to pink for Japan. Yeah they have used navy and red before, but recently they've focused on a navy and gold color scheme which is unique and also the historic scheme for a very historic team. The pink pinstripes on the gray jersey are not great - they're hard to see. The number font is quite nice, I like the pullover alternate you have. The calligraphy-inspired set is not my favorite but I do like it. Using pink as a base works really well, better than I thought it would. I actually don't really care for the pink hat, I think the navy cap would serve perfectly for every jersey.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

Nice job on the last couple teams! Pink is a bold departure from Japan's regular look and I think it could work, but I would use it a little more sparingly. For example, on the home jersey, I'd keep the wordmark navy but add a pink stroke around it. Also, would the pink alt w/ white pinstripes be paired with matching pants or solid white ones?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, eegl75 said:

what if you put a samurai sword in the J

I'd rather keep it clean, to be honest. Adding small elements inside a wordmark could end up looking like a blob from afar.

19 hours ago, CDCLT said:

I'm not really feeling the pivot to pink for Japan. Yeah they have used navy and red before, but recently they've focused on a navy and gold color scheme which is unique and also the historic scheme for a very historic team. The pink pinstripes on the gray jersey are not great - they're hard to see.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job on the last couple teams! Pink is a bold departure from Japan's regular look and I think it could work, but I would use it a little more sparingly. For example, on the home jersey, I'd keep the wordmark navy but add a pink stroke around it.

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. What about this?

T5htKKb.png

Klfwfdz.png

I could try swapping the pink for gold under this approach, but I personally prefer how the pink looks.

19 hours ago, CDCLT said:

The calligraphy-inspired set is not my favorite but I do like it. Using pink as a base works really well, better than I thought it would.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Also, would the pink alt w/ white pinstripes be paired with matching pants or solid white ones?

Thanks! And it's a tough call but, for consistency's sake, I'd say the bette option would be to go for pink pants with white pins.

• Like 4

Japan, Czech Republic, and Panama absolutely rule. Great job there.

I think Netherlands could use a fresh logo. The current crown representing all of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Curacao and Aruba) seems generic and the NL monogram might be too. I prefer black to the current navy, but a little light blue to pair with black and orange could be really nice.

China i'm not so sure on, but I think it's 100% because the actual logos this WBC with the Dragon head blow the old english text out of the water.

Looking forward to more!

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, raysox said:

Japan, Czech Republic, and Panama absolutely rule. Great job there.

Thanks, mate!

13 minutes ago, raysox said:

I think Netherlands could use a fresh logo. The current crown representing all of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Curacao and Aruba) seems generic and the NL monogram might be too. I prefer black to the current navy, but a little light blue to pair with black and orange could be really nice.

Yeah, I've been thinking about an alternative logo for the Netherlands, but I haven't come up with any new idea so far.

Also, I didn't ntice the new unis feature navy until I saw WBC's graphism and closer pictures of the players!

Perhaps this could be the solution to use both black and light blue?

WYvr4UW.png

24 minutes ago, raysox said:

China i'm not so sure on, but I think it's 100% because the actual logos this WBC with the Dragon head blow the old english text out of the water.

As soon as their new identity came out I couldn't help but thinking I should use it for the series, but I couldn't find a high quality version of the wordmark/logo. Thankfully, it's just been uploaded to the site!

KGMHhBN.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

If Netherlands can use NEDERLAND, and the Czech Republic can use CESKO, why can't Japan use NIPPON? Just a thought

Japan historically uses "JAPAN" on their jerseys. Same with Korea and China - you just don't normally see non-Latin based languages on baseball jerseys. Besides, Victor has made a set that says「日本」and it's the pink alternate.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

11 hours ago, CDCLT said:

The updated Japan is better! As a matter of personal preference I would keep it gold but as it is I think this is a good way to include pink without it being overbearing.

Thanks! Here's how it'd look with gold instead of pink:

JyDM1fK.png

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

Really digging that Japan set!

Thank you 😄

3 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Japan historically uses "JAPAN" on their jerseys. Same with Korea and China - you just don't normally see non-Latin based languages on baseball jerseys. Besides, Victor has made a set that says「日本」and it's the pink alternate.

That's right. Every Asian team uses their English (or at least "Western") name as main wordmark, which I've kept while adding an alternate script in their native language and alphabet.

Spoiler alert: I've done the opposite for Israel, since I've not found a good version of any of their wordmarks. If it gets posted, like China, for example, I'll re-do it. Also, for South Korea I've used their "Korea" wordmark for the whole set.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Victormrey said:

That's right. Every Asian team uses their English (or at least "Western") name as main wordmark, which I've kept while adding an alternate script in their native language and alphabet.

Spoiler alert: I've done the opposite for Israel, since I've not found a good version of any of their wordmarks. If it gets posted, like China, for example, I'll re-do it. Also, for South Korea I've used their "Korea" wordmark for the whole set.

Gotcha

Loving the rose gold btw

• Love 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.