WBC '23 x Nike - 20/20 (Venezuela)

Victormrey

Time to close pool B with South Korea!

This time I wanted to keep things simple, using Korea's current wordmark. I know it's been around for 13 years or so, but I think it's got a lot of character and it feels quite unique. Regarding the colour choice, I took inspiration from the soccer team's 2002 World Cup home kit, going for vibrant hues, specially for the red. The idea would be to use red undershirts and socks, in order to create a more distinctive look, drifting away from the current navy + dark red scheme, which, in my opinion, is too close to Japan's.

I've also used thicker cuff piping (like the current Brewers' home jersey) whose colour order matches the wordmarks'.

Txx2M5t.png

2HIRLeH.png

lMXS1DW.png

w6Ks9WO.png

• Like 9

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 10/20 (S. Korea)

Looks like I have some catching up to do!

• Netherlands: I like the idea of going with orange & light blue, but I do think the problematic history of the flag it derives from might be too much to overcome. The shades you chose feel a bit muted as well, I wonder how it would look with more "vibrant" shades? From a pure design standpoint, I do think that having a dark color like black helps balance out the orange, anyway. Having the crown logo as a patch was an upgrade as well.
  • Panama: I really like this set, the home white is my favorite. Like the Netherlands, the shades of navy & red look a bit muted, I would love to see it with shades a bit brighter.
  • Australia: The change to their traditional green & gold was an upgrade, though I applaud your effort to try the lime green, it was definitely worth a shot given its presence on their social media. The gradient looks nice too.
  • China: Maybe it's just because I'm so used to seeing them in their traditional red & gold, but something about the red & orange feels "off" to me at first glance, though it is growing on me.
  • Czech Republic: This is definitely one of the more "off the wall" sets, and it might be a bit too out there for me personally, but I admire the creativity.
  • Japan: I like the idea to try embracing pink full-time for them, but I agree with @CDCLT that it felt like a bit too strong of a departure from their iconic set. The rose gold seems like a solid compromise.
  • Korea: I like this one! The bright shades definitely help it to "pop." I'm curious why you used a more muted shade of blue for the away, though? I feel like the brighter shade would make a really nice jersey.

I hope I don't sound too critical, as you're definitely willing to take more creative risks with this series than I did with mine, which I do appreciate. As always, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have next!

• Love 1

7 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Looks like I have some catching up to do!

• Netherlands: I like the idea of going with orange & light blue, but I do think the problematic history of the flag it derives from might be too much to overcome. The shades you chose feel a bit muted as well, I wonder how it would look with more "vibrant" shades? From a pure design standpoint, I do think that having a dark color like black helps balance out the orange, anyway. Having the crown logo as a patch was an upgrade as well.
  • Panama: I really like this set, the home white is my favorite. Like the Netherlands, the shades of navy & red look a bit muted, I would love to see it with shades a bit brighter.
  • Australia: The change to their traditional green & gold was an upgrade, though I applaud your effort to try the lime green, it was definitely worth a shot given its presence on their social media. The gradient looks nice too.
  • China: Maybe it's just because I'm so used to seeing them in their traditional red & gold, but something about the red & orange feels "off" to me at first glance, though it is growing on me.
  • Czech Republic: This is definitely one of the more "off the wall" sets, and it might be a bit too out there for me personally, but I admire the creativity.
  • Japan: I like the idea to try embracing pink full-time for them, but I agree with @CDCLT that it felt like a bit too strong of a departure from their iconic set. The rose gold seems like a solid compromise.
  • Korea: I like this one! The bright shades definitely help it to "pop." I'm curious why you used a more muted shade of blue for the away, though? I feel like the brighter shade would make a really nice jersey.

I hope I don't sound too critical, as you're definitely willing to take more creative risks with this series than I did with mine, which I do appreciate. As always, I'm looking forward to seeing what you have next!

No worries at all! Thank you for the extensive feedback 😉

Regarding the colours, I'm trying to use hues which would look like the shades in real life, that's why they look a bit muted. Think, for example, on the official Nike's pictures of the MLB jerseys.

As for Korea's road jersey, I wanted to use powder blue to keep a traditional colour while matching the wordmark scheme. How does it look with the more vibrant shade?

Sb07eYp.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Korea looks awesome, but you may want to get rid of the Russian flag on the sleeve cuffs of the blue jerseys. 

Thanks! Yep, the resemblance with the Russian flag was something I noticed as well, but I wasn't sure how to tweak it.

Since I'd like to keep the same colour order for both wordmark and cuffs, usign the jersey's base color in the middle, what about using red as main colour and white for the dropshadow?

1xBMw1m.png

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:07 AM, Victormrey said:

Time to close pool B with South Korea!

This time I wanted to keep things simple, using Korea's current wordmark. I know it's been around for 13 years or so, but I think it's got a lot of character and it feels quite unique. Regarding the colour choice, I took inspiration from the soccer team's 2002 World Cup home kit, going for vibrant hues, specially for the red. The idea would be to use red undershirts and socks, in order to create a more distinctive look, drifting away from the current navy + dark red scheme, which, in my opinion, is too close to Japan's.

I've also used thicker cuff piping (like the current Brewers' home jersey) whose colour order matches the wordmarks'.

Txx2M5t.png

2HIRLeH.png

lMXS1DW.png

w6Ks9WO.png

This is fantastic, love the symbol from the flag on the sleeve. 

• Love 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, coco1997 said:

Personally, I think the red script would be tough to read on a blue background. 

Yeah, I agree... Not sure what to do with it

On 3/13/2023 at 7:13 PM, WestCoastBias said:

This is fantastic, love the symbol from the flag on the sleeve. 

Thank you, mate! Yup, the Taegukgi really works as sleeve patch.

We've reached the half of the series, and I'd like to thank you all for the feedback and your support!

Now, let's start group C with Canada:

The set features their new wordmark (in a normal size) with an extra border in black, with matching piping on the sleeves of the home and road jerseys, and a thicker retro-ish trim for the black alternate design:

RPGVSNn.png

aQ6lR5g.png

8UckuQF.png

L8ILWY3.png

• Like 7

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 11/20 (Canada)
3 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

We've reached the half of the series, and I'd like to thank you all for the feedback and your support!

Now, let's start group C with Canada:

The set features their new wordmark (in a normal size) with an extra border in black, with matching piping on the sleeves of the home and road jerseys, and a thicker retro-ish trim for the black alternate design:

RPGVSNn.png

aQ6lR5g.png

8UckuQF.png

L8ILWY3.png

Another homerun here, love how you modified the wordmark. Only thing I would change is matching the trim on the black jersey to the rest of the jerseys trims.

I think the black works very well for Canada in baseball.

• Love 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:15 PM, WestCoastBias said:

Another homerun here, love how you modified the wordmark. Only thing I would change is matching the trim on the black jersey to the rest of the jerseys trims.

I think the black works very well for Canada in baseball.

Thanks a bunch!

Apart from working, I think adding black to the wordmark helps to create a more cohesive look, since the cap/helmet and the maple leaf logo use it.

Here's the alt design with the piping from the home and road jerseys:

H9BAL1E.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

Thanks a bunch!

Apart from working, I think adding black to the wordmark helps to create a more cohesive look, since the cap/helmet and the maple leaf logo use it.

Here's the alt design with the piping from the home and road jerseys:

H9BAL1E.png

So, you're tasked with creating a decent-looking Canada baseball jersey, and none of them have red as a primary colour. Instead, all you give them is a choice of clean white, typical grey, and last-minute-choice black.

I know you want to separate countries that use red as their primary home, but I'm sorry. It's not really complete if there's no red jersey.

13 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

So, you're tasked with creating a decent-looking Canada baseball jersey, and none of them have red as a primary colour. Instead, all you give them is a choice of clean white, typical grey, and last-minute-choice black.

I know you want to separate countries that use red as their primary home, but I'm sorry. It's not really complete if there's no red jersey.

Well, given it's a baseball set, white and grey are taking for granted for the home and road jersey, respectively. So, no chance of using red as main colour for either of them.

Regarding the black alt, since the design was finished around October, I'm not sure what do you mean with "last-minute-choice", specially when Canada have used black jerseys before.

Anyway, here's a red version of the alternate jersey:

VbWBSat.png

Honestly, I like the result. What do you guys think?

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Well, given it's a baseball set, white and grey are taking for granted for the home and road jersey, respectively. So, no chance of using red as main colour for either of them.

Regarding the black alt, since the design was finished around October, I'm not sure what do you mean with "last-minute-choice", specially when Canada have used black jerseys before.

Anyway, here's a red version of the alternate jersey:

VbWBSat.png

Honestly, I like the result. What do you guys think?

I always think of Canada as a red-and-white team due to the flag design being just that. They could handle well without the need for tertiary colours like black. Therefore, having a black Canada jersey made me think that the design department needed to find a 3rd jersey that isn't red or white, so in a rush, they grabbed the black one as the first thing they picked up at a store.

It might just be me, though. Your Canada set can live without either the grey or the black (though I leaned on the black more since at least grey has a good amount of historical precedence).

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The red jersey is nice, but I think I actually prefer the black one. Good work!

Could we see a white front paneled cap for Canada, to further the obvious Blue Jays inspiration?

Thank you 😉 I've made two version with the white front panel:

2ysvkgy.png

8 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

I always think of Canada as a red-and-white team due to the flag design being just that. They could handle well without the need for tertiary colours like black. Therefore, having a black Canada jersey made me think that the design department needed to find a 3rd jersey that isn't red or white, so in a rush, they grabbed the black one as the first thing they picked up at a store.

It might just be me, though. Your Canada set can live without either the grey or the black (though I leaned on the black more since at least grey has a good amount of historical precedence).

I get what you mean, but almost every single national sport team in Canada uses black as accent colour, either on their logo, uniform, or both. Hockey, soccer, basketball, athletics, curling... You name it.

With some MLB teams dropping their greys jersey under the new 4 uniform restriction, if they were a Major League team, I could see this set featuring a black jersey + grey pants alternate combo, as long as they had an extra jersey (Sunday alt or some kind of throwback).

• Like 2

It's time for Los Cafeteros, so, Colombia!

I've kept and tweaked their old wordmark, making it arched and mainly yellow with a blue and red dropshadow. Both home and road jerseys feature sleeve piping based on the national flag, and the later features a sand-ish shade as main colour.

On the other hand, the alternate design uses an orange base, inspired by the soccer national team's home kits used during the mid-70's:

MpubXbz.png

eFJGIVb.png

rfd6YGz.png

I would have liked to make a mainly yellow cap, but I wasn't sure what to do with the C logo on it. Therefore, I've gone for a blue design with yellow bill, as well as for a matching alt cap:

UnAe1VT.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Victormrey changed the title to WBC '23 x Nike - 12/20 (Colombia)