Teams of the AAFC: The Los Angles Dons, Miami Seahawks, Chicago Rockets and Buffalo Bills

Darth Brooks

The Dons were a team that played from 1956-1949 in the AAFC. Other teams in the same league were the Cleveland Browns and SF 49ers. I've decided to update the teams that didn't successfully make the jump to the NFL.

Like the Brown's Brownie, the Don's featured a cartoon character in much of their advertising,

spacer.png

There was other advertising featuring a less absurd character,

DfcrR4m.jpg

spacer.png

And the wordmark was featured on one of the programs.

spacer.png

I focused in on the hat and also drew someone to wear the hat.  Essentially a Hispanic counterpart to the Raiders and Buccs logo. 

spacer.png

This is what I came up with. The Dons had a very bright red and blue uniform and I wanted to use that but also do more than copy it.

spacer.png

The hat is meant to have a subtle "D" shape in the brow, although the D used in the actual wordmark is much different. Having the uniform number on the other side is something I hadn't done before and thought it might look nice. I thought about having the Helmet stripe go down the pants but realized that would be a pain top sew in real life.

I'm planning on working thru the other defunct teams of the AAFC

What do you think?

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

I'm working on the Miami Seahawks next.

If you look for their logo this is what comes up.
kFlGtXN.png
Pretty crappy. Their colors were orange and green which is a headache inducing mix. I did find this, a copy of a program with a better detailed version of their logo.
u6SC03W.jpg
I drew out a version of the logo in Flexisign, which is like Corel or Illustrator.
bGW73Yc.jpg
And played around with colors.
ClXDhUH.jpg
This is after playing with it a bit more. The logo on the left is meant to be the basis for a helmet logo. It still needs work.
Esw6D6b.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to use orange and green and not have it look like a parrot. I could use some opinions.

• Like 3

• Darth Brooks changed the title to Teams of the AAFC: The Los Angles Dons and Miami Seahawks
On 2/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, Darth Brooks said:

I'm working on the Miami Seahawks next.

If you look for their logo this is what comes up.
kFlGtXN.png
Pretty crappy. Their colors were orange and green which is a headache inducing mix. I did find this, a copy of a program with a better detailed version of their logo.
u6SC03W.jpg
I drew out a version of the logo in Flexisign, which is like Corel or Illustrator.
bGW73Yc.jpg
And played around with colors.
ClXDhUH.jpg
This is after playing with it a bit more. The logo on the left is meant to be the basis for a helmet logo. It still needs work.
Esw6D6b.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how to use orange and green and not have it look like a parrot. I could use some opinions.

The green, orange and beige makes it look more like a parrot head or similar as you stated, maybe a little bit longer top beak with less curve?

I do like the sky blue, aqua, teal coloured one for an out of the box but i'm guessing for an old logo it probably wouldn't fit so my pick would be the top green one.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Trying a couple of different things with  Miami.  First is some different colors using the Seahawk head as a logo and then using feathers as letter. Out of all of these I'm leaning toward the gold chicken, although you would certainly see the crazy chicken from a distance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Great job with the Seahawks, the best in the series so far. After you posted the Dons it occured to me that a Zorro/swashbuckler theme would have been a good way to go, something like the old Tampa Bay Bandits logo or Bucco Bruce with Zorro instead of a winking pirate. Since your aim was to stick with the original team colors it might not have worked though, you would probably need to use a lot of black, maybe with gold or silver trim.