Players whose RIGHT uniform is actually the WRONG uniform

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

They won 4 AFC championships (which is the equivalent to 4 AFL titles) in their red lids.

I'm not denying that. But you said nothing happened in the white helmets apart from Simpson's record season. And that is incorrect.

The important point is that the white-helmeted look had already been firmly established when the red helmet was brought in. Even four latter-day AFC titles do not undo the team's foundational history. 

And the team in effect acknowledged this by restoring its signature look (in the manner, as mentioned above, of the Padres, the Blue Jays, and the Orioles).

• Like 3
  • Yawn 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'm not denying that. But you said nothing happened in the white helmets apart from Simpson's record season. And that is incorrect.

The important point is that the white-helmeted look had already been firmly established when the red helmet was brought in. Even four latter-day AFC titles do not undo the team's foundational history. 

And the team in effect acknowledged this by restoring its signature look (in the manner, as mentioned above, of the Padres, the Blue Jays, and the Orioles).

You have yet to acknowledge that the bills or any team can have more than 1 “right” uniform. Calling the red helmet a wrong uniform for the bills is just outright wrong. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Motivated in part because of the one helmet rule. By going to white helmets fulltime again, it allows them to do standing buffalo throwbacks. A red helmet wouldnt allow that.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Didn't they move back to the white helmet a few years before the one helmet rule ? I know the Bucs wore orange throwbacks in 2012, and the Bills were already in their white helmets by then. Was the one helmet rule planned that far in advance ?

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

They wore red for 26ish seasons, so there's an entire generation of people that grew up only knowing those.  I was alive during the white helmet era, but only remember the red ones from when I started watching in the mid-late '80s.  So for roughly the first 24 years of my football-watching and football-card-collecting life, they were in red lids.

The biggest - and probably only argument that I can see against the red helmets being considered a co-correct helmet for them would be to look at the Jets.  The Jets wore green for longer than white, and I only ever knew them in green, but I always knew that their "right look" was white.  Probably due to all the iconic photos of Namath, or maybe due to how much 60s/70s Jets stuff appeared in pop culture (like the Wonder Years).

But it's one of those things where there's no "rule". 

The only really "wrong" uniforms for the Bills are the red helmets with blue facemask (and blue road pants), and the CFL uniforms they wore in the 00s.

The only "right" uniforms for the Jets are the white-helmeted ones with the oval logo.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Speaking of the Jets:  What is up with this?  The light-green numbers are also shown as being worn in other seasons, and they appear to be intentionally colored that way, as you can see in this image where there's a white jersey with normal-green numbers.

1971_NYJets.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

You can do a whole bunch of former Mets from that drop-shadow era.

jose-reyes-of-the-new-york-mets-throws-t

%2521%2521carlosBeltran.jpg

This is gonna be super controversial but the black uniforms originally lasted 15 years, plus a few more and counting with its recent comeback. Can an argument be make that, specifically the black home jersey is becoming more of a "right" Mets uniform? They've already lasted longer than the 80s racing stripes and those are super iconic for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

2 hours ago, insert name said:

This is gonna be super controversial but the black uniforms originally lasted 15 years, plus a few more and counting with its recent comeback. Can an argument be make that, specifically the black home jersey is becoming more of a "right" Mets uniform? They've already lasted longer than the 80s racing stripes and those are super iconic for obvious reasons.

I'd say that any time a franchise has decided to bring back a throwback uniform as the primaries, that means the throwback is the "right" uniform. The Mets (and Flames, Oilers, Sabres, etc.) had memorable runs in their '90s/'00s unis, but at the end of the day they returned to their beloved classic look.

On 2/21/2023 at 3:46 PM, insert name said:

You can do a whole bunch of former Mets from that drop-shadow era.

jose-reyes-of-the-new-york-mets-throws-t

%2521%2521carlosBeltran.jpg

It's right to me, this is how they looked when I started watching baseball in the early 2000s. I probably thought it was a BFBS uni back then, but the Mets colors came from the Dodgers (Blue, White) and Giants (Orange, Black) and it was the late 90s so I can't fault the Mets for jumping into a trend from that time

Edited by TrueYankee26
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 1:26 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

It's right to me, this is how they looked when I started watching baseball in the early 2000s. I probably thought it was a BFBS uni back then, but the Mets colors came from the Dodgers (Blue, White) and Giants (Orange, Black) and it was the late 90s so I can't fault the Mets for jumping into a trend from that time

It was a BFBS uniform.  The Mets colors of Blue and Orange came from as you correctly stated the Dodgers and Giants.  The BFBS uniforms introduced in 1997 were introduced under a promotion with the movie Men In Black they called it "Mets In Black".  The black crown blue bill cap was originally a fashion cap first put out by Sports Specialties going back to the early 1990s.  I have every Mets media guide between 1996 and 2014 and black is never mentioned as an official team color, nor it's inspiration being from the Giants.  That black was a Giants color is coincidental to the cash grab the Wilpons were trying at the time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tp49 said:

It was a BFBS uniform.  The Mets colors of Blue and Orange came from as you correctly stated the Dodgers and Giants.  The BFBS uniforms introduced in 1997 were introduced under a promotion with the movie Men In Black they called it "Mets In Black".  The black crown blue bill cap was originally a fashion cap first put out by Sports Specialties going back to the early 1990s.  I have every Mets media guide between 1996 and 2014 and black is never mentioned as an official team color, nor it's inspiration being from the Giants.  That black was a Giants color is coincidental to the cash grab the Wilpons were trying at the time.

Interesting. But still I can not fault the Mets for jumping to a trend of Black and I have seen weirder uniforms such as

spacer.png

And

spacer.png

4 hours ago, fl00dsm0k3 said:

I think this thread is a great idea. Who comes to mind is Marc André Fleury wore the 07 Edge design for 9 seasons. However this pads, and mask design I loved.

1171e89e1854ab3a295add.jpg

This was one of my first thoughts . I had thought of Sid and Geno as well, considering their best individual seasons, and two of their three cup-clinching games, were in that jersey. Although, with the Pens wearing the throwback at home in the 2016 playoffs and going to them full-time the following season, we could end up in a similar situation to Mario Lemieux, who's associated with both the Pre-Robo and Robo jerseys.

Which brings me to the debate about the meaning of this thread - I think they mean "wrong for their team" as in "not their best aesthetically," and not "one that isn't most iconic." A lot of people equate success with what the "right" and "wrong" uniform is. Example: the throwbacks the Pens went to a few years ago? They were sub-.500 for 9 of the 13 seasons they originally wore it, including the three worst seasons in their history. I can't help but wonder if people would have longed for them to come back so much if the Pens had changed before they won their first back-to-back cups.

EDIT: That said, if your team went back to a throwback that could be bested in originality and thoughtfulness by a 12-year-old armed with nothing more than MS Paint and a dream, then it's only "right" if all the other uniforms were truly awful. Old and generic doesn't always = good, either.

oBIgzrL.png

27 minutes ago, maz said:

Example: the throwbacks the Pens went to a few years ago? They were sub-.500 for 9 of the 13 seasons they originally wore it, including the three worst seasons in their history. I can't help but wonder if people would have longed for them to come back so much if the Pens had changed before they won their first back-to-back cups.

I very nearly posted Jaromir Jagr in either the Gin and Juice jersey or the RoboPen, but then I got to thinking - maybe that is Pittsburg's "right" uniform?

I grew up with the Lemieux uniforms (originally with the yellow alt and the numbers on the shoulders!) so I saw both cups in those, but if I close my eyes and think of the Penguins, I see mid-90s set (except for that ridiculous alt with the chest stripe that became primary).

I'm 50/50 on this, but I think this might actually be both his right jersey, and the Pens:

102073173.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I very nearly posted Jaromir Jagr in either the Gin and Juice jersey or the RoboPen, but then I got to thinking - maybe that is Pittsburg's "right" uniform?

I grew up with the Lemieux uniforms (originally with the yellow alt and the numbers on the shoulders!) so I saw both cups in those, but if I close my eyes and think of the Penguins, I see mid-90s set (except for that ridiculous alt with the chest stripe that became primary).

I'm 50/50 on this, but I think this might actually be both his right jersey, and the Pens:

102073173.jpg

My thoughts exactly. When I think about Jagr, I think any of the three robo jerseys, which I know much of Pittsburgh hated. Being born in 93 I grew up hearing fans in Pittsburgh lament that logo and be thankful when it was gone. But with how people's opinions seem to have softened over time (outside of the nostalgia my age group has for it), I was beginning to wonder if it qualified. FWIW, I've been told by fellow Pens fans the main reason it was hated was because they had just gone back-to-back in the other uniforms, and the new ownership group seemed to be overstepping trying to make a big impact right away by "modernizing" the team's look. Then when they got upset by the Islanders that year, it sealed the deal for Pens fans hating it. Legend has it Mario hated it for that exact reason and it's part of why, when he bought the team, they got rid of it not long after and it didn't come back  until this year's RR - the first season after he sells the team.

It goes back, again, to the "best vs. most iconic" thing, and when it comes to the robo era of the Penguins, there seems to be a lot of debate these days about both categories whereas before it felt like the hockey world was decidedly anti-robo.

oBIgzrL.png

2 hours ago, maz said:

Which brings me to the debate about the meaning of this thread - I think they mean "wrong for their team" as in "not their best aesthetically," and not "one that isn't most iconic." A lot of people equate success with what the "right" and "wrong" uniform is. Example: the throwbacks the Pens went to a few years ago? They were sub-.500 for 9 of the 13 seasons they originally wore it, including the three worst seasons in their history. I can't help but wonder if people would have longed for them to come back so much if the Pens had changed before they won their first back-to-back cups.

When I made the thread I was thinking of "most iconic" as a team's "right" uniform, not necessarily the best looking one. For example, the Tom Brady-era Patriots uniforms weren't particularly pleasing aesthetically, but they would definitely be the uniform most people would associate with the franchise. I'd say that most people think of black & yellow + the skating penguin when it comes to Pittsburgh, so Jagr in the robo-pen seems like it would fit. 

Some teams are trickier though. I thought about mentioning Trevor Linden in the Canucks flying skate, but with them using it as a throwback & inspiration for their latest third jersey, I figure some people in Vancouver still see it as the "right" uniform.

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I figure some people in Vancouver still see it as the "right" uniform.

Vancouver is probably a team with no right uniform.  That's what happens when you change it up so much - nothing can be iconic.  The closest thing to me, as a guy grew up 3,000 miles from Vancouver and who never really followed them outside of collecting hockey cards, is the flying skate.  To me, anything else looks odd.  I grew up knowing of Pavel Bure, Trevor Lindon, Kirk McLean, NHL '94 on SNES, etc.  But if someone argued that their colo(u)rs were blue and green, I couldn't argue back... but which blue and green uniform is "ionic"?  I'd argue that the flying skate comes as close to "iconic" as anything they've worn.

I also believe firmly (as noted in the discussion re: Bills) that teams can have multiple iconic loos.  I think most people - at least those of us north of 40 - remember the (incorrectly) red-clad Patriots with the Pat logo as the Patriots iconic look before Brady made the (more appropriate) navy look iconic.  Now they're in some mess.

That being said, Drew Bledsoe qualifies.  These uniforms are great, but ultimately unmemorable by many fans due to the eras they're surrounded by.

Bledsoe_Drew105-0551715.jpg

• Like 4

Similar to Vancouver, the Padres also don't have a single iconic look.  They have an iconic color pallet, but not any one look.  I grew up with the brown-orange look that magically got recolored to navy-orange with no explanation, but can't say that either of those were the "right" look.  Their current set has the potential to become their right look, but will take a while.  The yellow-front caps are kinda iconic, but there's not enough memorable things that happened in those for them to be memorable to outside of SD.

So no Padres player can make this list.

I'd argue the Phillies have two iconic looks (if we say that the '50s are close enough to today's).  Mike Schmidt doesn't belong on this list despite wearing the various versions of the swirl P - but neither does Jimmy Rollins or Chase Utley or Robin Roberts.

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

Similar to Vancouver, the Padres also don't have a single iconic look.  They have an iconic color pallet, but not any one look.  I grew up with the brown-orange look that magically got recolored to navy-orange with no explanation, but can't say that either of those were the "right" look.  Their current set has the potential to become their right look, but will take a while.  The yellow-front caps are kinda iconic, but there's not enough memorable things that happened in those for them to be memorable to outside of SD.

So no Padres player can make this list.

I'd argue the Phillies have two iconic looks (if we say that the '50s are close enough to today's).  Mike Schmidt doesn't belong on this list despite wearing the various versions of the swirl P - but neither does Jimmy Rollins or Chase Utley or Robin Roberts.

Teams like the Canucks & Padres might not have one particular "right" uniform, but that doesn't mean they don't have any "wrong" ones. San Diego's navy & sand is definitely a wrong jersey, although I can't think of any iconic players associated with those exclusively. And this is definitely a wrong Canucks uniform:

spacer.png

• Like 1