Players whose RIGHT uniform is actually the WRONG uniform

18 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

When I made the thread I was thinking of "most iconic" as a team's "right" uniform, not necessarily the best looking one. For example, the Tom Brady-era Patriots uniforms weren't particularly pleasing aesthetically, but they would definitely be the uniform most people would associate with the franchise. I'd say that most people think of black & yellow + the skating penguin when it comes to Pittsburgh, so Jagr in the robo-pen seems like it would fit. 

Some teams are trickier though. I thought about mentioning Trevor Linden in the Canucks flying skate, but with them using it as a throwback & inspiration for their latest third jersey, I figure some people in Vancouver still see it as the "right" uniform.

It's interesting to think about whether or not that would be different had they never drafted Crosby, Malkin, etc. and had the success they have for the past decade and a half.  If they had continued to stink since 2003 when they went back to the skating penguin, despite the two cups in 91 and 92, I wonder if the many other 90's playoff runs and golden years of Mario and Jagr's careers being in the robo would've, with age, made the it more "iconic" in a way similar to how the Pirates' most iconic look is, arguably, the one they haven't worn in nearly 40 years - because they've been mediocre at best for all but six years ever since then, and with that there's been this growing affinity for the 1979 "Family" team and the "last time we won anything".

That said, this was the worst of the many combinations that year and thus Willie Stargell is my Pirates entry for the thread.

103191790-october-17-1979-world-series-b

But again, with how many combos they wore that year, it's hard to pick which is the most-associated with him. There's a good argument the gold shirt/black pants combo is most remembered, especially with the Pirates wearing that on Sundays for a few years recently.

oBIgzrL.png

The Pirates current home uniform (and all the close variations of it) is their “right” look IMO. Outside of the late 70s-early 80s, it’s mostly been their look from pre-poly even though the transition from flannel, albeit with variations as far as cut (crew neck, v-neck, button down, vest) and color (mustard vs yellow). Close enough for purposes of this discussion. 

The version up for debate would be the late ‘90s with the flat-topped wordmark, but I’d still count it. 

where they lose me is their road uniforms. There’s no “right” road uniform for the pirates. They had one that could have been iconic (the previous one) but unfortunately we’re irrelevant during that whole stretch so it becomes unmemorable. They’ve switched roads more often than any team but maybe the pre 00s cubs and pre 90s white Sox. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Last thing lest this thread get Burgh-jacked.

You're right. The white home top with Pirates on the front, both the sleeveless one and the t-shirt style with mustard gold, are the jerseys of Clemente - that alone makes them their most recognizable. As well as the very rather similar home unis of the early 90's Killer B's and three straight lost NLCS's. Which I suppose makes the 79 look, while legendary, not the most closely-associated with the franchise.

oBIgzrL.png

4 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

f87a2779-8e09-461e-af14-7018ce347873_1920x1080.jpg

Is an Astros jersey really Clemens's right uniform? Sure, he helped them get to a World Series, but when someone mentions his name I think of the Red Sox or Yankees before I think of Houston.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Is an Astros jersey really Clemens's right uniform? Sure, he helped them get to a World Series, but when someone mentions his name I think of the Red Sox or Yankees before I think of Houston.

Even as a former Yankee fan (and still a Red Sox hater), I can say that Clemens's one and only right uniform is the Red Sox uniform.  This is despite his Cy Young Awards and  World Series appearances with other teams.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

its the right uniform when you think of his time as an Astro, but its not the uniform I would choose when you want to showcase the Astros. Perhaps Roy Oswalt or Lance Berkman would have been a better choice from that era

21 hours ago, NicDB said:

My poor Bucks don't even have a "right" color scheme.

The #34 Bucks jersey should be iconic. But it's not because the three players who made it that way all wore very different versions of it.

It's interesting how each player who's worn it has been increasingly better than the last.

First is Terry Cummings. he wore both verions of the Irish Rainbow and made and All-Star and All-NBA appereance in each verion.

2x All-Star, 2x All-NBA, 1983 ROY. 19.4 pts, 7.8 reb, 2.3 ast

s-l1600.jpgterry-cummings-iso-bucks-scaled.jpg

Next is Ray Allen. Wearing the 90s purple-era threads, Allen set the then-franchise record for most threes by a Buck (eventually broken by Khris Middelton.) 

3x All-Star, 1x All-NBA, 19.6 pts, 4.6 reb, 3.8 ast

DWQpeUuVwAA32uI.jpg

Saving the best for last, we have Giannis Antetokounmpo. Wearing the 2010s-red and green for his rookie year, the Bucks switch to green and cream coincided with their best era since the 70s, as Giannis led the team to multiple 50-win seasons and a championship.

As of 3/15/23: 1x Champ, 1x FMVP,  2x MVP, 7x All-Star, 6x All-NBA, 5x All-Defensive, 1x ASMVP, 1x DPOY,1x MIP

As of 3/15/23: 22.6 pts, 9.6 reb, 4.7 ast

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

The Bucks currently have a timeless classic on their hands. It's a shame it can't get more shine because the NBA forces everyone to wear weird designs and colors these days. I really hope they don't suffer the same fate as the OG Lebron Cavs jerseys.

Also, it almost has to be counterintuitive to retire #34 now... right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NicDB said:

The Bucks currently have a timeless classic on their hands. It's a shame it can't get more shine because the NBA forces everyone to wear weird designs and colors these days. I really hope they don't suffer the same fate as the OG Lebron Cavs jerseys.

But it almost has to be counterintuitive to retire #34 now... right?

The problem is that the number should have been retired for Allen before Giannis even got a chance to wear it. Now it's a catch-22:

If they do retire it, it 'looks" like the right thing to do, but the #34 streak will end* and Allen's time with the franchise will be more forgotten than it is now.

If they don't retire it, it "looks" as if the franchise is doing Giannis dirty.

*also, since everyone who wears #34 gets progressively better, the next guy in Milwaukee to wear it will likley become the unquestioned GOAT.

• Like 1

spacer.png

While the Raptors have shown they're willing to bring back purple sparingly, they've always thrown it back to the inaugural jerseys, and not the jerseys that put the team on the map thanks to this guy. 

Oddly enough the same thing goes for Chris Bosh, albeit one can argue his right jersey is a Heat uniform & these are the Raptors jerseys of my childhood: 

spacer.png

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Are the Vince ones really wrong ? They seem fairly popular, maybe not as much as the original stripes one, but definitely the 2nd most loved uniform in the teams history. Definitely agree with Bosh though, or Jose Calderón if you think he's more well remembered as a Heat player. 

On 3/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, Indigo said:

The problem is that the number should have been retired for Allen before Giannis even got a chance to wear it.

I mean...Allen was still an active player, who had left on not the best terms, it would've been incredible bizzare if they retired 34 before Giannis got drafted. Same thing with like Carmelo and Jokic with the Nuggets. 

• Like 1
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, Indigo said:

The problem is that the number should have been retired for Allen before Giannis even got a chance to wear it. Now it's a catch-22:

If they do retire it, it 'looks" like the right thing to do, but the #34 streak will end* and Allen's time with the franchise will be more forgotten than it is now.

*also, since everyone who wears #34 gets progressively better, the next guy in Milwaukee to wear it will likley become the unquestioned GOAT.

They could always retire 34 & hang banners for each notable guy who wore it. There are plenty of teams who have retired the same number multiple times.

8 hours ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

Are the Vince ones really wrong ? They seem fairly popular, maybe not as much as the original stripes one, but definitely the 2nd most loved uniform in the teams history. Definitely agree with Bosh though, or Jose Calderón if you think he's more well remembered as a Heat player. 

Raptors are a tricky one. They might fall under the category of a team that doesn't have a right uniform. They've been a red & black team for longer than they've been a purple team, but the throwback stuff is still very popular. The championship season uniforms could be considered right, except that they lifted the trophy wearing a city edition alternate that became the basis of the current uniform.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, Indigo said:

Interestingly, the Nuggets have gotten themselves in the same position with Melo and Jokic both wearing 15 on completely different uniform designs. My hope for the Nuggets at this point is to retire Jokic's 15 the season after he retires and then wait a year and retire Melo's 15. Under this circumstance I'd like the Nuggets to differentiate their different uniform eras on the retired number banners rather than the generic style they currently use. (Edit: Just noticed @SailorOfSilence102 made the same point.)

spacer.pngusa_today_19810293.jpg

It seems like that would be the correct option for the Bucks as well, retire Giannis and then Ray.

• Like 2

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators