Players whose RIGHT uniform is actually the WRONG uniform

14 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

The Nuggets should not retire Melo's number.

Strongly disagree. He is probably the third or fourth most influential player in Nuggets history and revived a dead in the water franchise. Melo is still 3rd in franchise history in points and 7th in games played. The Nuggets have also been generous when it comes to jersey retirements. There is really no argument that Mutombo and Lever are that much better of Nuggets than Melo was.

I understand that a lot of Nuggets fans still have hard feelings and I totally get it. I fell in love with basketball via those Melo Nuggets and was 16 when he got traded. It broke my heart as a fan. But, at this point it has become clear to me that you CAN'T tell the story of Denver Nuggets Basketball without Carmelo Anthony.

• Like 4

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

17 minutes ago, JTernup said:

There is really no argument that Mutombo and Lever are that much better of Nuggets than Melo was.

Melo was absolutely a better player than both of those guys, but he wasn't a better Nugget. Melo never embraced Denver and always felt like a rental. Both Mutumbo and Lever meant a great deal to the community. Plus, Lever accomplished just as much as Melo ever did, and Mutumbo was the centerpiece of one of the most memorable moments in the Nuggets' history.

I harbor no ill will towards Melo at all, and I wouldn't be opposed to them retiring his number. But with how he forced his way out, the fact that he doesn't lead the Nuggets in any statistical category, and Jokic taking the number, I don't think it needs to be retired.

jNTsTyQ.png

51 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

Melo was absolutely a better player than both of those guys, but he wasn't a better Nugget. Melo never embraced Denver and always felt like a rental. Both Mutumbo and Lever meant a great deal to the community. Plus, Lever accomplished just as much as Melo ever did, and Mutumbo was the centerpiece of one of the most memorable moments in the Nuggets' history.

I harbor no ill will towards Melo at all, and I wouldn't be opposed to them retiring his number. But with how he forced his way out, the fact that he doesn't lead the Nuggets in any statistical category, and Jokic taking the number, I don't think it needs to be retired.

I don't know how old you are but there is absolutely no way you are part of my generation. Kids that grew up with Melo like I did absolutely revered him and never thought he felt like a rental. It seems like revisionist history to say that Mutombo embraced Denver so much more in his time with the Nuggets than Melo did. 

Wasn't the Nuggets WCF run just as memorable as the Mutombo 8-seed? 

I understand that you may not view him the way I do but it's undeniable that he was incredibly influential into the history of the team. Jokic taking his number doesn't mean that he isn't deserving of being honored IMO. 

• Like 2

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

1 hour ago, JTernup said:

It seems like revisionist history to say that Mutombo embraced Denver so much more in his time with the Nuggets than Melo did.

Up until his tumor last year, Mutumbo was still heavily involved in Denver charities and would appear at events regularly. I'm in my early 30's by the way.

Melo is certainly an influential piece in the history of the Nuggets, I am not disputing that. I'm just saying his number does not need to be retired.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png