Hi all,

I've been working on this project the past few months. A while back I had the idea to rebrand as many MLB team as possible using each team's respective mascot as inspiration.

01. Pittsburgh Parrots 

02. Arizona Bobcats

03. Seattle Moose

04. Oakland Elephants

05. Washington Eagles

07. San Francisco Seals

08. Houston Orbits

09. Twin City Bears

10. Philly Phanatics

11. Kansas City Lions

12. Boston Green Monsters 

13. Colorado Trikes 
14. Texas Mustangs

15. Chicago Southpaws 
16. Los Angeles Koalas

17. Cleveland Sliders 

18. Los Angeles Robins
19. Anaheim Rally Monkeys

For those who do me the honor of following along, keep in mind that not all 30 clubs will be represented, as a few teams' mascots are inspired by their team itself (Clark the Cub, Bernie Brewer, Mr. Met, etc.) while some teams are without mascot altogether (Yankees, Dodgers, Angels). 

I'm really proud of this series and had a lot of fun working on it. We'll start today with the Pittsburgh Parrots:

PARROTS HOME:
Parrots-Home.png

PARROTS ROAD:

Parrots-Road.png

PARROTS HOME ALT:

Parrots-Home-Alt.png

PARROTS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Parrots-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- Pittsburgh's mascot the past 40+ seasons has been the Pirate Parrot, with parrots often depicted perched on pirates' shoulders 

- A lime-like parrot green becomes the team's primary color, with black shifting to more of a trim/tertiary color

- I worked up a "Parrots" wordmark in the MLB Pirates font 
- A cartoony rendering of the Pirate Parrot occupies the jerseys' left sleeve

Feedback is welcome! I'll have another team up shortly. 

• Like 14
  • Love 5
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 2

53 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

One of the Buccos minor league teams should do this.

I'm all for Indianapolis to change their identity to this.

Another unique idea executed great. The Parrot fits into the Pirate's aesthetic really well. Can't wait for the rest of this!

• Love 2

rAUPGPZ.png

On 2/20/2023 at 6:34 PM, johne9109 said:

LOVE IT!

4 hours ago, Victormrey said:

What a fun idea! I love the colour scheme for the Parrots 💯 The sleeve patch looks amazing.

I can't wait to see the other teams!

Just now, GrayJ12 said:

I'm all for Indianapolis to change their identity to this.

Another unique idea executed great. The Parrot fits into the Pirate's aesthetic really well. Can't wait for the rest of this!

Thank you for following along!

43 minutes ago, Luigi74 said:

One of the Buccos minor league teams should do this.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:59 PM, heavybass said:

And I would be up for a Parrot team.

Agreed! I'm always down for a bird (or any animal, for that matter) themed identity.

Next up are the Arizona Bobcats!

BOBCATS HOME:
Bobcats-Home-brown-scripts.png

BOBCATS ROAD:
Bobcats-Road.png

BOBCATS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Bobcats-Alt.png

Notes:

- The Diamondbacks' mascot Baxter is based on another desert-dwelling creature, the bobcat
- This one required a slight shift from the D-Backs' current color scheme, with a reddish-brown replacing black.
- While I had wanted to use Arizona's current font for the scripts & numbers, I couldn't find it anywhere online, so I wound up using the team's original typeface, which I found works just as well, if not better. 

- Inspired by Arizona's City Connect uniforms, I went with a solid sand-colored look for the road set. 

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 15

• coco1997 changed the title to Rebranding MLB Teams with Mascots in Mind (Arizona Bobcats 2/22)
16 hours ago, NicDB said:

TIL the D-Backs mascot isn't a snake.

kramer-seinfeld.gif

8 hours ago, mahnkej said:

I like using sand color for the Arizona road jerseys; always wandered why the D'Backs never adopted that in real life.

Agreed! I'm glad the team decided to complement their sand-colored City Connect jerseys with sand pants starting last season. 

Let's finish up the week with the Seattle Moose!

MOOSE HOME:

Moose-Home-brown-off-white.png

MOOSE ROAD:

Moose-Road-brown.png

MOOSE HOME ALT:

Moose-Home-Alt-brown-off-white.png

MOOSE ROAD ALT:

Moose-Road-Alt-brown.png

Notes:

- No one knows why Seattle's mascot is a moose. Ok, the actual reason is because it won a kids' contest in 1990 to vote for the next Mariners mascot. 

- The colors are a dark, moose-y brown and teal from the Seattle flag. I also kept the off-white/cream from the team's Sunday fauxbacks because I felt it gave the uniforms a nice vintage feel. 

- Since there's no cartoony animal logo this time around, I added antlers to the "M" logo. 

C&C appreciated! Another AL West team will be up soon. 👀

• Like 13
  • Love 3
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Rebranding MLB Teams with Mascots in Mind (Seattle Moose 2/24)

The Parrots are great. It's a shame that the vests aren't there, but considering that the shade of green doesn't work as well as the baselayer for a sleeveless jersey than black, that's understandable.

The Bobcats look fantastic too. Wonder how it would look with the original cream the D-Backs used instead of white, and with an alternate red billed hat for the home.

Never would have thought to put brown and teal together, but the Moose look good. Would be cool to see sleeveless versions of the home and road (with an all brown hat, brown undershirt, brown belt and brown socks with stripes for the road)

On 2/24/2023 at 3:42 AM, NicDB said:

TIL the D-Backs mascot isn't a snake.

They couldn't make a family friendly snake mascot, according to the motherships "The Story Behind the Nickname" article.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coiler said:

Love all three, but the Parrots are my favorite. A nice vibrant change of pace from the usual black and yellow.

10 hours ago, Victormrey said:

You nailed it! I think the brown matches perfectly the Seattle's flag teal-ish blue, specially with that off-white home uni.  Awesome job 🤩

Great work with the wordmarks, specially with the cap/alt logo!

Thank you!

On 2/24/2023 at 7:13 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

The Parrots are great. It's a shame that the vests aren't there, but considering that the shade of green doesn't work as well as the baselayer for a sleeveless jersey than black, that's understandable.

The Bobcats look fantastic too. Wonder how it would look with the original cream the D-Backs used instead of white, and with an alternate red billed hat for the home.

Thanks for the feedback! Here are your suggested tweaks to the Bobcats home set:

Bobcats-Home-off-white.png

Since there wasn't much contrast between the off-white and sand, I changed the trim color for the script and numbers. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:13 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

Never would have thought to put brown and teal together, but the Moose look good. Would be cool to see sleeveless versions of the home and road (with an all brown hat, brown undershirt, brown belt and brown socks with stripes for the road)

Here you go:

Moose-Home-sleeveless.png

Moose-Road-sleeveless.png

And since you're a big fan of sleeveless jerseys, @VampyrRabbit, I think you'll like the next team.

Up today are the Oakland Elephants!

ELEPHANTS HOME:
Elephants-Home.png

ELEPHANTS ROAD:
Elephants-Road.png

ELEPHANTS HOME ALT:
Elephants-Home-Alt.png

ELEPHANTS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Elephants-Road-Alt-w-no-outlines.png

Notes:

- The elephant has been a symbol of the A's dating back to their time in Philadelphia over a century ago, with Stomper becoming the team's official mascot in 1997. 

- I used this rebrand to put forth my idea of what the A's should look like, bringing back sleeveless jerseys with McAuliffe style numbers and the arched Old English "Oakland" wordmark from the late '60s. 

- Just as the Athletics use the shorthand "A's" on their caps and uniforms, I created a new "E's" logo in that same blackletter style. 

- I briefly toyed with using an elephant gray and white color scheme but decided it would be a sacrilege to mess with the A's iconic green and gold. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 12

• coco1997 changed the title to Rebranding MLB Teams with Mascots in Mind (Oakland Elephants 2/26)
On 2/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, raysox said:

this is a super fun series, kudos for the creativity

Thanks, man! That means a lot coming from you. 

9 hours ago, Coiler said:

Looks fine but a little too conventionally A's-ish to me. (I guess I'm just worn out from the Defunct Saga's parade of green and yellow A's relocation uniforms :D )

Yeah, I get that. Maybe I'll try the Elephants in gray after all. I promise the rest of the teams in the series will be far less conventional, both in terms of logos and color schemes. 

Next up are the Washington Eagles!

EAGLES HOME:

Eagles-Home-Expos-inspired.png

EAGLES ROAD:

Eagles-Road-Expos-inspired.png

EAGLES HOME ALT:

Eagles-Home-Alt-Expos-inspired.png

EAGLES ROAD ALT:

Eagles-Road-Alt-Expos-inspired.png

Notes:

- Though the Racing Presidents are probably more associated with the Nationals, the team's official mascot is actually Screech the bald eagle. It's only fitting that the mascot of the team from our nation's capital is also a symbol of the U.S. itself.  
- My design rolls in elements from a few historical teams, namely the Newark Eagles of the Negro Leagues and the Montreal Expos

- Since the Nationals already use a suitably patriotic color scheme, I didn't feel the need to change the color scheme much. I did, however, shift from navy to Old Glory Blue (Hex #0A3161), the shade used on the U.S. flag. 

C&C appreciated! Another NL team is on deck. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Rebranding MLB Teams with Mascots in Mind (Washington Eagles 2/28)
5 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Why is that?

because washington fans might not like the name because of the philadelphia eagles and eagles fans might not like that washington is using their team's name. washington would probably already have a team called the eagles, but they dont and that could be a reason, its really not a big deal though.

• Like 1