The Alabama Soccer League

RevNet

Hey, y'all!

This thread will be dedicated to a soccer league that I've been working on for the past month or so. This thread and all that I'm about to show you all would not be possible without the California and Oregon concept leagues done by @TheGiantsFan. A very big "Thanks!" goes out to them.

The Alabama Soccer League, or The ALSL for short, is a 64-team soccer league with teams located all over and within the state of Alabama. As seen above, there are eight conferences with eight teams each. Like with the soccer leagues that @TheGiantsFan has done and continues to do, I am willing to make any changes that you all feel are necessary with each one of these 64 teams. Just to get this out of the way, I'll say that there were a few sacrifices made from what I initially planned for the teams you will see below. I'll get to those when the time comes to present that particular team.

Before we start, there are several things you need to know:

1. For now, all the teams have the suffix "SC" for "soccer club" in their names.
  2. For each team, I randomly drew from a list of eleven kit suppliers, including the big three of Nike, Adidas, and Puma. Whatever kit supplier I drew for the team is displayed in the upper-right-hand corner of the graphic for each team. From there, I started to make the design.
  3. Along with the kit supplier, I also randomly drew the jersey number for each team. I will note when it's not a random number for a particular team.
  4. The collar design for all the teams is the same only because I was saving time in making all 64 of these teams, but I can change these collar designs if necessary.
  5. The shorts designs for the two kits display the designs for both legs with a line in the middle that only divides.
  6. I will be presenting these teams in alphabetical order by their team names.
  7. Lastly, the left arm on the shirts for each and every one of the teams has a league logo patch and a smaller conference patch below the league patch. Both of these patches are color-coordinated with each of the two kits for each team.

For now, though, it's time to kick things off in a big way with the southernmost team in the league...

Alabama Beaches SC

Team Colors: Gulf Navy (Pantone 3597 C), Coastal Aqua (Pantone 311 C), Beach Orange (Pantone 2011 C)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

For this team, there's not really that much to explain besides my wanting a team in the tourist hotspot of Gulf Shores. The Gulf Navy color comes from the local Gulf Shores High School Dolphins athletic teams. The Coastal Aqua color comes from the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The Beach Orange color comes from the other beach in Alabama, Orange Beach, which is just to the east of Gulf Shores.

The logo is a roundel of a scene out on the Gulf of Mexico. Both the boat on the left and the captain's wheel on the right come from the city seal for Orange Beach. The seagull on top comes from the City of Gulf Shores website. Since the area is a tourist hotspot, I couldn't find a more fitting sponsor for Beaches SC than the area's tourism board. The primary kit, "The Gulf Shores Kit", has an aqua-to-navy gradient shirt with an aqua collar, navy shorts with white detailing, and aqua socks with seagull detailing. The secondary kit, "The Orange Beach Kit", is an orange shirt with a white collar, white shorts with orange detailing, and orange socks with seagull detailing.

The name on the back of the jerseys is Rep. Jack Edwards, who from 1965 until 1985 represented Alabama's 1st congressional district in the US House of Representatives, which includes Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. He is also the namesake of the local airport.

C&C is not only welcomed but encouraged!

Edited by RevNet
Fixed the logos
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

this team gives off a very touristy vibe. some suggestions: the sponsor on the jersey is very "wordy", maybe just make it say "gulf shores" or "orange beach" and then make the team name one of those as well because the name sounds more like a beach tour company than a soccer team. to me, the crest looks more like a company logo, maybe make the wheel fill the whole circle and put "gulf shores sc" going around the edge.

but i should also be positive. the primary kit looks great and the gradient moves very smoothly. i like how one kit represents gulf shores and the other represents orange beach.

excited to see where this series goes!

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (02/64: Alabaster SC)

On 2/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, eegl75 said:

this team gives off a very touristy vibe. some suggestions: the sponsor on the jersey is very "wordy", maybe just make it say "gulf shores" or "orange beach" and then make the team name one of those as well because the name sounds more like a beach tour company than a soccer team. to me, the crest looks more like a company logo, maybe make the wheel fill the whole circle and put "gulf shores sc" going around the edge.

but i should also be positive. the primary kit looks great and the gradient moves very smoothly. i like how one kit represents gulf shores and the other represents orange beach.

excited to see where this series goes!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions! With each sponsor's logo, besides turning the wording white if need be, I try not to change it too much from what the logo is, mainly because I don't want to get into too much trouble with these companies, et al. Also, I like the name "Alabama Beaches SC" because I feel it represents more of the area than "Gulf Shores SC" would. If I come back to this team, I might change how the sponsor logo looks at least on the primary kit. Once again, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Anyway, let's move away from the beaches and into the first team in the Birmingham Metro Conference...

Alabaster SC

Team Colors: Limestone Beige (Pantone 7536 C), Alabaster White (Pantone 9224 C)

Team Secondary Colors: Mine Black (Black), Thompson Red (Pantone 485 C)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

Unlike with Beaches SC, this team in Alabaster was a bit of a struggle to come up with an identity. Eventually, though, I think it came together nicely in the end. The logo is a beige hexagon with a big, similarly-shaped, white letter "A" taking up most of the shape. The two white, thinner, and smaller letters "S" and "C" in the spaces left by the "A" complete the logo design.

The primary kit, the "Alabaster Lime Kit", is a beige-and-white striped shirt with a white collar and beige sleeves, beige shorts with black detailing, and white socks with black detailing. It is also a tribute to Alabaster's founding in 1929 initially as "Scott Rock", a community of limestone miners that worked for the Alabaster Lime Company. The Limestone Beige color comes from the limestone that was once mined, while the Alabaster White color comes from the other meaning of alabaster being a shade of white.

The secondary kit, the "Thompson Kit", is a solid red shirt with a black collar, black shorts with red detailing, and red socks with black detailing. These colors (Mine Black and Thompson Red) come from the local Thompson High School Warriors athletic teams.

The sponsor of this team, mspark, is a B2C marketing services company headquartered in nearby Helena.

The name on the back of the jerseys is Thomas Carlyle Thompson, who donated the land and most of the funds to build the original Thompson High School building in the 1920s.

Edited by RevNet
Cleaned it up a bit
  • Like 2

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (03/64: Alex City SC)

Let's head east for our next team, shall we?

Alex City SC

Team Colors: Athletic Silver (Pantone Cool Gray 5), Lake Martin Blue (Pantone 6125 C), Russell Red (Pantone 1805 C)

Team Secondary Color: Athletic Gray (Pantone Cool Gray 9 C)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

Before today, I felt that this team's previous logo design was a bit...basic. It just had the shield and the "AC" text in the middle. I got to work on upgrading it into the logo design you see now. The logo design is a silver shield (which is taken from the city seal of Alexander City) which consists of a red eagle flying and holding onto a blue ball containing the white letters "AC". The eagle and ball design comes from this historical branding of the team's sponsor, Russell Athletic.

The primary kit, "The AthletiX Kit", is a silver shirt with a large, gray "X" across the front and silver collar, gray shorts with silver detailing, and silver socks with gray detailing. The gray "X" comes from the shield for the local Benjamin Russell High School. The secondary kit, "The Russell Athletic Kit", consists of a white shirt with a white collar and blue and red hoops all along the front and the bottom of the back, red shorts with white detailing, and blue socks with white detailing. The blue and red colors come from the current Russell Athletic branding.

Although now part of the Fruit of the Loom family of brands and headquartered in Bowling Green, Kentucky, this team's sponsor, Russell Athletic, has its roots in Alex City, as the locals call it. The company was founded in 1902 by 26-year-old Benjamin Russell as the Russell Manufacturing Company. From there, Benjamin Russell would rally to almost completely rebuild Alex City from a devastating fire that also happened in 1902.  Over the next century plus change, Russell would go on to become the largest manufacturer of athletic uniforms in the country, outfitting most of MLB and the NFL, along with inventing the cotton sweatshirt.

The name on the back of the jerseys is Pro Football Hall of Famer Terrell Owens, who wore #81 throughout his NFL career. Owens was born and raised in Alex City.

Edited by RevNet
Fixed the logos and centered the "X" more on the primary shirt
  • Like 2

Happy to see another state-level soccer league on these boards, and I appreciate the shoutout! :)

May I ask what program you're using to make these concepts? You've got some solid designs with great rationale here, and I'm excited to see what else you make for Alabama!

21 minutes ago, TheGiantsFan said:

Happy to see another state-level soccer league on these boards, and I appreciate the shoutout! :)

May I ask what program you're using to make these concepts? You've got some solid designs with great rationale here, and I'm excited to see what else you make for Alabama!

Certainly! I initially hand-drew all the logos with a Pilot® 0.7 erasable pen in black ink on white sketching paper. The sketches I did are a mess now. Also, I mentioned early on in the thread that there were some sacrifices that were made. Well, some of these hand-drawn logos didn't make it over the hump, so to speak, onto the final 64 teams for a myriad of reasons. I'll get to those when the time comes.

The main programs I use are Affinity Designer 2.0.4 and Inkscape 1.2. I've used versions of Affinity Designer for six years, and I am quite happy with it.

Idk much about Alabama, but as far the designs go it's a nice start so far.

Certainly the state map looks good inside that rounded box in the league logo, but I think the rest could stand to be simplified. Just "ALSL" in a bolder font, no "THE" or full name or ball necessary.

Alex City's away is definitely the best of the jerseys yet; reminds me of my Seattle Reign's old training top. Definitely helps that your Athletics have the best font choice by far so far; a good font always makes a big difference!

The home is okay but I'd rather see the ad on a gray background rather than white, and the numbers are a bit too low contrast (even though I'm hesitant to wreck the nice double-gray color scheme.)

Alabaster's logo is okay; it kinda gives a bit of 70s English crest vibes... Though I know I'd prefer it if the hexagon were oriented with one point upwards, rather than horizontally, with the A changed to match. Jerseys are solid, though maybe a third shade of brown would work instead of black.

Beaches is the nicest logo, though at first I thought that outer white circle it's displayed in was part of the logo itself... and I think it should be, since it kinda fades into the blue base on the kit. The logo's yellow strokes also fade into the light blue; I think you could outline the boat in light blue and have the antenna in white. You could make the "SC" yellow. I'd also be inclined to ditch the "Alabama" part of the wordmark (or put it as a roundel text above the circle) since right now it feels a bit cramped.

I think overall, though, all of your logos could stand to have thicker stroke weights, since right now everything is too thin to see very well.

Anyways, despite my nitpicking, I think you're pretty close; a couple of minor changes could get you there! Good work!

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (04/64: Andalusia United SC)
14 hours ago, vtgco said:

Idk much about Alabama, but as far the designs go it's a nice start so far.

Certainly the state map looks good inside that rounded box in the league logo, but I think the rest could stand to be simplified. Just "ALSL" in a bolder font, no "THE" or full name or ball necessary.

Alex City's away is definitely the best of the jerseys yet; reminds me of my Seattle Reign's old training top. Definitely helps that your Athletics have the best font choice by far so far; a good font always makes a big difference!

The home is okay but I'd rather see the ad on a gray background rather than white, and the numbers are a bit too low contrast (even though I'm hesitant to wreck the nice double-gray color scheme.)

Alabaster's logo is okay; it kinda gives a bit of 70s English crest vibes... Though I know I'd prefer it if the hexagon were oriented with one point upwards, rather than horizontally, with the A changed to match. Jerseys are solid, though maybe a third shade of brown would work instead of black.

Beaches is the nicest logo, though at first I thought that outer white circle it's displayed in was part of the logo itself... and I think it should be, since it kinda fades into the blue base on the kit. The logo's yellow strokes also fade into the light blue; I think you could outline the boat in light blue and have the antenna in white. You could make the "SC" yellow. I'd also be inclined to ditch the "Alabama" part of the wordmark (or put it as a roundel text above the circle) since right now it feels a bit cramped.

I think overall, though, all of your logos could stand to have thicker stroke weights, since right now everything is too thin to see very well.

Anyways, despite my nitpicking, I think you're pretty close; a couple of minor changes could get you there! Good work!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! I might thicken up the orange outline in the Beaches SC logo to make that pop more.

Anyway, moving on down to the Wiregrass region, we have...

Andalusia United SC

Team Colors: Andalusia Maroon (Pantone 1815 C), Bulldog White (White)

Team Secondary Color: Andalusia Maroon #2 (Pantone 1805 C)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

Okay, this is the first team in the region I know the least about. This doesn't mean that I won't give it my best shot. You can probably say that this team, like the other teams with "United" in the name, unites all of the city and the county that the team resides in (in this case, Covington County). Given the team name, the logo is kind of self-explanatory. The "A" and the "U" are given the maroon-and-white striped treatment and the addition of the "SC" text in the center completes the logo design.

The primary kit, "The Maroon-and-White Kit", consists of a two-tone, maroon-hooped shirt with a white collar, white shorts with maroon detailing, and maroon socks with white detailing. The secondary kit, "The White-and-Maroon Kit", is a color reversal of the primary kit, only that the shirt is a solid white shirt with maroon detailing. The maroon and white colors come from the Andalusia High School Bulldogs athletic teams.

The team's sponsor, PowerSouth Energy Cooperative, is headquartered in Andalusia and provides power to just under 500,000 residents and businesses in Alabama and Northwest Florida through being affiliated with Touchstone Energy Cooperatives.

The name on the back of the jerseys is Robert Horry, or "Big Shot Rob" if you're an NBA fan. During his 16-year career in the NBA, he became a seven-time NBA champion, playing for the Rockets, the Suns, the Lakers, and finally the Spurs. Although born in Maryland, he was raised in Andalusia and played for the AHS Bulldogs. His first of two jersey numbers was #25.

• Like 3

Heading back north and east and into a model city. Well, at least in Alabama, anyway.

Anniston Metro SC

Team Colors: Model City Maroon (Pantone 4101 C), Oxford Gold (Pantone 4021 C), Metro Black (Black)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

I had some fun with this team, as you can see. When it came time to divvy out sponsors for all the teams, this team initially had another sponsor that another team in the Central East Conference eventually got, because it ultimately fit that other team more. But first, the logo design consists of three triangles (one in each of the colors above) arranged in a similar way to the triforce in The Legend of Zelda series of games. I swear this is just a coincidence, and that that wasn't my intention. The top, maroon triangle is supposed to represent the "A" for "Anniston", and the two bottom triangles form the "M" for "Metro". The "Anniston Metro SC" text (each of those words is also in a different color) in the center of the triangles completes the logo design. The maroon color comes from the Anniston High School Bulldogs athletic teams, while the black and gold colors come from the neighboring Oxford High School Yellow Jackets athletic teams.

The shirt of the primary kit, "The Model City Met Kit", is directly inspired by the shirt of Venezia's 2021-22 Away kit. The green and orange colors in that shirt are switched out for the maroon and gold colors above, respectively. Other than that, it's a white shirt with a black collar. The shirt is made complete with black shorts with white detailing and white socks with black detailing. The secondary kit, "The Metro Kit", consists of a black shirt with a gold collar and a singular gold hoop across the front, gold shorts with black detailing, and black socks with gold detailing.

The sponsor of this team, Wakefield's/Martin's, is a clothing department store chain based in Anniston.

The name on the back of the jerseys is David Satcher, who is a former Surgeon General of the United States and was born in Anniston.

Edited by RevNet
Made the text in the logo bold and centered it more
  • Like 2

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (05/64: Anniston Metro SC)

For this team, we'll be heading to where I went to college for my Bachelor's Degree in the computer field.

Athens City SC

Team Colors: Athenian Gold (Pantone 7563 C), Parthenon White (White), Eagle Black (Black)

4FngchT.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

The logo design is a gold Parthenon-like building with four columns, a black base, and a black circle on the roof with a white outline shape of the state of Alabama. The dot which indicates Athens's location completes the logo design.

When looking at Olympiacos and Panathinaikos, the top two teams of Athens, Greece, the city which Athens, AL is named after, I noticed a common thing with their current primary jerseys. Both of them seem to have this kind of striping to them. So I believe it's only right to give this Athens team something similar. Therefore, the primary kit, "The Athens Gold Kit", consists of a gold-and-white stripe pattern that is then repeated on the sleeves, gold shorts, and gold socks with black detailing on both. The secondary kit, "The Eagle Black Kit", consists of an all-black kit with gold detailing. The black and gold colors come from the Athens High School Eagles athletic teams.

The sponsor of this kit, TriGreen Equipment, is a John Deere tractor equipment dealer based in Athens.

The name on the back of the jerseys is Brittany Howard, a musician and Athens native who was the lead singer for the Athens-based band Alabama Shakes.

• Like 1

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (06/64: Athens City SC)

I'd say I'm a fan of a lot of the uniforms you're making, but there's so much lacking on your team crests. Many of the lines and strokes are thin and whispy. They suffer from the same problem as the original/current Ottawa Senators logo. 

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Before I post the next team, I want to apply fixes to the six teams I have posted so far.  Since today is Friday, consider this the first "Fix Friday" for this league. Today's fixes will be mainly on my logos and how thin the weights are. If there is anything else that sticks out as a glaring problem, let me know quickly and be specific.

Edit: Did my fixes!

Edited by RevNet

Heading back into the Capital Region today, we have...

Auburn-Opelika SC

Team Colors: Auburn Blue (Pantone 289 C), Auburn Orange (Pantone 172 C)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

Here is the first college-inspired ALSL team, Auburn-Opelika SC. The logo design is a blue letter "A" for Auburn on top of an orange letter "O" for "Opelika". The blue "SC" text completes the logo design. The blue and orange colors come from both Auburn University and the Auburn High School Tigers athletic teams.

The primary kit, "The Tiger Stripes Kit", is a blue-and-orange striped shirt with similarly-striped sleeves and an orange collar, and blue shorts and socks with orange detailing. The secondary kit, "The One Auburn Kit", is an all-white kit with a blue collar and a blue and orange stripe pattern on the center of the shirt and blue detailing throughout.

The sponsor of the team, Kia, has a plant in nearby West Point, GA.

The name on the back of the jerseys is the one and only Bo Jackson, who is an accomplished sportsman in both football and baseball, having played both at Auburn and professionally in the MLB and the NFL. His number when playing football at Auburn was #34.

• Like 1

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (07/64: Auburn-Opelika SC)

Heading back north but staying in the eastern half of the state for today, we have...

Avondale Mills SC

Team Colors: Woody Brown (Pantone 4625 C), Cotton White (White)

Team Secondary Color: Spring Green (Pantone 2249 C)iQdDcFs.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

Let's talk cotton. For a long time, Alabama was nicknamed "The Cotton State" due to its location along the Cotton Belt of the Southern U.S. One of the places that produced and worked with cotton was Pell City, located in the southeastern portion of St. Clair County (which, by the way, is the only county in Alabama to have two county seats, Pell City and Ashville to the north). First named the Pell City Manufacturing Company back in 1897, the Avondale Mills plant in Pell City, along with others in the state, produced textiles for more than a century until closing for good in 2006.

With this in mind, the logo design is a white cotton blossom with brown outlines, brown leaves, and the brown overarching texts of the team name inside the blossom to complete the design. The primary kit, "The Mill Worker's Kit", consists of a brown shirt with a white collar and white sleeves, brown shorts, and brown socks with white detailing. It is meant to mirror the uniforms of those working in the textile mills back in the day. The secondary kit, "The New Growth Kit", is an all-green kit with white detailing.

The sponsor of this team, WKW North America, produces aluminum trim primarily for cars and is headquartered in Pell City.

The name on the back of the jerseys is David Gulledge, who was born and raised in Pell City. Gulledge is a former collegiate and pro football player who played one season in the NFL for the team now called the Washington Commanders. Gulledge's number was #29.

• Like 1

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (08/64: Avondale Mills SC)

For my next team, we're heading way south into Alabama's own "City of Six Flags".

Azalea City SC

Team Colors: Azalea Pink (Pantone 7439 C), French Red (Pantone 1805 C), Pelican White (White)

o9ad6a7.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

First off, a pronunciation check. The city (and county) name of Mobile is pronounced: "Moh-BEEL".

Now for some history. Mobile is one of the oldest cities in the state of Alabama (second only to Huntsville), having been founded as the first capital of the French colony of La Louisiane back in 1702. Mardi Gras celebrations start in the area the next year (in 1703), making Mobile's celebrations the oldest in the country today. Next, under the 1763 Treaty of Paris which ended the Seven Years' War, the French gave all their colonial lands east of the Mississippi River to the British, who then expanded their West Florida region to include the present-day Mobile area. Then in 1780, the Spanish, as an ally of France, captured Mobile during the Battle of Fort Charlotte in the American Revolutionary War. This eventually turned the area from British West Florida to Spanish West Florida under the 1783 Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolutionary War. Then, in 1810, Mobile becomes a part of the independent Republic of West Florida. This was short-lived, however, when in 1813, the Mobile area, as part of Spanish West Florida, was annexed into the United States. Then, the Civil War happened, and Mobile, as part of the State of Alabama, was under Confederate rule from 1861 until 1865, when it (and Alabama) was allowed back under US rule. This is why Mobile is nicknamed "The City of Six Flags". 

Now, as for the logo design, it is a red-outlined white shield with the city name of "MOBILE" in red on top and three six-pointed azalea blooms in each of the team colors underneath for a complete design. The primary kit, "The 1702 Kit", consists of a red shirt with a white collar and subliminal, white-outline azalea blooms that radiate from the team logo on the front and also radiate from the number on the back. The kit is made complete with white shorts with red detailing and red socks with white detailing. The secondary kit, "The Azalea Trail Kit", consists of a pink-and-white hooped shirt with a pink collar and white sleeves, pink shorts with white detailing, and white socks with pink detailing. This kit is meant to commemorate Mobile's Azalea Trail, a garden trail that runs throughout the city.

The sponsor of the team, Austal USA, is a shipbuilding company headquartered in Mobile.

The name on the back of the jerseys is the one and only "Hammerin'" Hank Aaron, the 25-time MLB All-Star who made his debut for the then-Milwaukee Braves in 1954 wearing #5, but for only that season. The next season and every season after that until 1976, he wore #44. Aaron was born on February 5th, 1934 in Mobile and passed away in January 2021 at the age of 86.

• Like 3

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (09/64: Azalea City SC)

I'm really excited to show y'all this team. The way it came together alone should excite you.

Barber Park SC

Team Colors: Honda Red (Pantone 1795 C), Porsche Yellow (Pantone 121 C), Checkered Flag Black-and-White (Black & White)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

It's a safe bet to say that the two sponsors dictated the kits, but more on those later. First off, the name of the team, Barber Park SC, comes from the Barber Motorsports Park and Museum in Leeds. The nickname of the team, "The Bikers", comes from what the museum has a lot of and that is vintage motorcycles. The Barber Collection, as it is called by the museum website, is a collection of over 1,600 bikes, with 900 of them on display in the museum at any given time. This collection was started by George Barber (who had a not-too-shabby record in racing in the 1960s) in 1988 when, on a suggestion from a longtime friend, he shifted from restoring cars to restoring motorcycles. From there, it grew into the world's largest collection of motorcycles. There's also a track that has IndyCar and MotoAmerica racing events and a festival.

Now, on to the logo design, which is a shield constructed from a checkered flag on top, a racing wheel on the bottom, and a red box in the middle with the yellow "Barber Park" text across. The black "SC" text in the hubcap of the racing wheel completes the design. The primary kit, "The Honda Red Kit", is a primarily red shirt with a red collar, white sleeves, and a pattern of thick white stripes outlined in black on the sides. The same pattern is applied to the shorts, as well, along with white detailing. The kit is made complete with red socks with white detailing. This kit was inspired by this brochure for a 1984 Honda V3O Magna motorcycle. The secondary kit, "The Porsche Yellow Kit", consists of a black shirt with a singular, yellow stripe that goes all along the top of the shirt. The shirt is made complete with black shorts with yellow striping and detailing, and black socks with yellow detailing. This kit is based on these track pants in the Porsche Legacy collection, which Puma also makes.

The sponsor of the primary kit, Honda, is the corporate sponsor of the IndyCar race at the track and also has the Honda Manufacturing of Alabama plant in nearby Lincoln. The sponsor of the secondary kit, Porsche, has the Porsche Track Experience at the track's Proving Ground. Plus, George Barber used Porsche racecars to achieve that not-too-shabby record in the 1960s. Barber Park SC is the only team in the ALSL to have two sponsors.

The name on the back of the jerseys is none other than "Sir Charles" Barkley, the 11-time NBA All-Star and 1993 NBA MVP who was born and raised in Leeds. He would go on to have a great collegiate career at Auburn and an even better NBA career, becoming one of the game's most dominant rebounders. His first of three jersey numbers was #34.

• Like 4

• RevNet changed the title to The Alabama Soccer League (10/64: Barber Park SC)

From one Barber to another Barbour, we have...

Barbour County SC

Team Colors: Leaf Green (Pantone 4212 C), Stem White (White)

Team Secondary Color: Bark Brown (Pantone 4705 C)

spacer.png

Liner Notes

Spoiler

I'll just tell you that this team was hard to create an identity for, and if it weren't for the story of the Tree That Owns Itself, this team probably would've been one of the sacrifices that had to be made. But in the end, I think I did a fine job with this team. So about that tree, the story goes that in 1935, E.H. Graves, a former mayor of Eufaula, recorded the deed that gave the tree ownership of itself. The tree back then was called the Walker Oak, because John A. Walker, a Confederate soldier, had previously owned the land that the tree grew on. That tree was struck by lightning in 1961, and a new tree was planted in its place thereafter by the International Paper Company. Since then, there have been several trees in that spot.

Based on that story, the logo design is of a singular green tree with white, arching texts of the team name inside. The primary kit, "The One Tree Kit", consists of a solid green shirt with a white collar, white shorts with green detailing, and green socks with white detailing. The secondary kit, "The Tree Bark Kit", is an all-brown kit with white detailing throughout.

The sponsor of this team, Humminbird, is a leading global innovator of marine electronics products based in Eufaula. A little bonus tidbit is that Lake Eufaula (or Walter F. George Lake, as it is officially known) is nicknamed the "Big Bass Capital of the World".

The name on the back of the jerseys is Eufaula-born Martha Reeves, one of the three members of the Motown girl group Martha and the Vandellas, known for hits such as "I'm Ready for Love" and "Dancing In The Street". She eventually became a Detroit councilwoman in 2005 and served one four-year term.

• Like 1