2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

7 hours ago, Bmac said:

Holy :censored: can we PLEASE not have the Canucks discussion again?

We need like a CCSLC rodeo clown to distract from discussions.

"Quick, quick! Look over here! Pay no attention to the Canucks! Anaheim is a different city than Los Angeles and the Angels should use Anaheim!"

I also submit what outfits the rodeo clowns should wear.

Spoiler

FoDPwMZ.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

IbjBaeE.png

7 hours ago, Ark said:

The Johnny Canuck logo sucks. He looks like he's frolicking through a patch of flowers

He's a lumberjack and he's okay!

He sleeps all night and he works all day

He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps
He likes to press wild flowers
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars...?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

18 hours ago, Ark said:

The Johnny Canuck logo sucks. He looks like he's frolicking through a patch of flowers

Now that you mention it... lmao

But you're right. The back leg should be extended instead. It doesn't even look like he's skating. It's like they hired a designer who had never seen anyone skate before or seen a hockey game. Even the way he's holding his hockey stick looks wrong

spacer.png

Can a photoshop expert give it a try? I'm sure it would look a thousand times better and less silly

I've always liked the idea of the logo but not necessarily the logo itself. Good idea, bad execution. Now I know why!

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Now that you mention it... lmao

But you're right. The back leg should be extended instead. It doesn't even look like he's skating. It's like they hired a designer who had never seen anyone skate before or seen a hockey game. Even the way he's holding his hockey stick looks wrong

spacer.png

Can a photoshop expert give it a try? I'm sure it would look a thousand times better and less silly

I've always liked the idea of the logo but not necessarily the logo itself. Good idea, bad execution. Now I know why!

Johnny's just in a later stride position than your picture. He's in the process of bringing his left foot forward and starting to stride with his right as opposed to your picture who is just at the end of his left foot stride. A couple frames later and the pictures would look more similar. Yeah, it's exaggerated and cartoon because it is an update of a drawing from like the 1940s but I never thought it looks like he wasn't skating correctly.

1339498-elias-pettersson-fast-canucks-tw

fqsaneuuzbmiftlbsyuv5htof.png

My issue has always been the head angle.

• Like 12

IbjBaeE.png

Johnny Canuck is a cartoon. Exaggeration is perfectly acceptable.

Next you’re going to tell me that penguins don’t wear gloves or skates or that the Padres swingin’ friar is never going to hit for power because his base is off.

• Like 24

15 hours ago, GFB said:

Next you’re going to tell me that penguins don’t wear gloves or skates or that the Padres swingin’ friar is never going to hit for power because his base is off.

The problem I had with the Johnny Canuck logo wasn't that it was a cartoon (it's what he started off as IRI after all), it was the oddly proportioned right leg, which was fixed with the RR logo.

Vancouver-Canucks-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1

As for the Penguin, he lost his scarf way back in 68, poor guy.

pittsburgh_penguins_logo_primary_dark_19

• LOL 1

On 5/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

The problem I had with the Johnny Canuck logo wasn't that it was a cartoon (it's what he started off as IRI after all), it was the oddly proportioned right leg, which was fixed with the RR logo.

Vancouver-Canucks-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1

As for the Penguin, he lost his scarf way back in 68, poor guy.

pittsburgh_penguins_logo_primary_dark_19

BRING BACK THE scarf 

On 5/25/2023 at 9:30 AM, nash61 said:

Dear Canucks:

Abbotsford has proven that Skating Johnny works as a primary. It's finally time once and for all.

32417444_web1_230420-ABB-wolanin-1_1.jpg

both-1_268894627-w-20220501jpg?cs=srgb&f

Standard whites on the road with Skating Johnny, a V arm stripe on the arms, blue shoulder logos.

Blue jerseys at home, with Skating Johnny,  a V arm stripe and white shoulder logos.

Green jerseys as an alternate with Vachon-Johnny (the V is blue) on a green jersey with normal arm stripes and  white shoulder logos.

NEVER. CHANGE.  AGAIN.

To me, these prove the oppostie. That the Johnny Canuck lacks presence on the front of a jersey. Feels small and too detailed.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 5/26/2023 at 11:50 AM, GFB said:

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Mr. Red is a photorealistic representation of the moustachioed,  engorged-baseball-headed abominations prowling the streets of Cincinnati.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

The cool thing about running into Mr. Red is that the silent-film dialogue cards come up in front of you. He can't say "I'll give that scoundrel what for" out loud, you see.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Mr. Red is a photorealistic representation of the moustachioed,  engorged-baseball-headed abominations prowling the streets of Cincinnati.

I thought that was Jon Moxley?

On the topic of Johnny, I would like to see something in between the Reverse Retro and the (now) Abbotsford Johnny. Something not quite so dated in execution as the original but not so corporate vector graphic-y as the new one.  Not as the main crest but it would be nice in secondary applications. 

That's an aside though. I'm not advocating the Canucks change their uniforms. Do I have issues with them? Yes. Do I think the Orca is a good logo? No. But overall its a beautiful look and its a bad idea to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. No more flip-flopping identities based on what the flavour of the month is.  

• Like 2

Draft Hats are available and they used San Jose's old striping pattern/colors 🤦‍♂️... NHL really needs to step up their apparel game. They are by far the worst of all major sports when it comes to apparel 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, bowld said:

Draft Hats are available and they used San Jose's old striping pattern/colors 🤦‍♂️... NHL really needs to step up their apparel game. They are by far the worst of all major sports when it comes to apparel 

spacer.png

Hats don't fall under the creative stuff I work on at Fanatics, but with as far out as we try and get league stuff done, this probably was being worked on before they switched uniforms designs. 

Still not sure who missed that though. Not my circus, not my monkeys. 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

15 minutes ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

Fourth or fifth consecutive year where jersey stripes are a prominent feature…time to think of another idea. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.