World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (Venezuela: 30 of 30, Series Complete)

MJD7

22 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great start!

I think China is my favourite set so far. I love how the new wordmark matches with the cloud pattern you've added!

Also, Canada is a right tweak of their new look, which could have been great but has some flaws.

Good to see you'll be posting designs for those countries which didn't make it 👌🏻

Thanks! I honestly didn't even realize how well the cloud pattern paired with the dragon-style script until after I had already posted it!

4 hours ago, raysox said:

Colombia and Taiwan are clean but China is top tier. What a great idea.

Thank you! Ironically, China's set didn't really come together until the last-minute! 

• Like 1

• MJD7 changed the title to World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (Cuba: 8 of 30)
On 3/9/2023 at 7:20 AM, MJD7 said:

Australia

As will likely be a common theme in this series, I went back to their original WBC wordmark, and went with a green-sleeve design inspired by their futuristic 2004 Olympics look.

1g6Zjy8.png

ycy1knu.png

DwcyDzL.png

The white needs good old aussie side panels, Australians can never have to many side panels on their jerseys, jumpers, kits, uniforms.

Also try and make the A into the Opera House if possible.

The grey one is way to grey for Australia and should be a Gold kit.

At least curve the Script a tad in the white and this one.

The Green is good but please put the stitches back in the big white star.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• MJD7 changed the title to World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (Czech Republic: 9 of 30)

Dominican Republic (La República Dominicana)

I don't mind their new wordmark, but I got rid of the steeper arch on the end letters. I also added a number font that matches the wordmark well. The sleeve stripes are reflections of each other, mimicking the flag.

M3po60m.png

CZ7IfkH.png

VxMcjiP.png

• Like 5

• MJD7 changed the title to World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (Dominican Republic: 10 of 30)

Been meaning to comment on the last few teams:

Brazil - I think the jerseys would benefit from some front numbers, like this. That aside, fantastic design. 

Canada - This isn't a criticism of your concept specifically, but I think the road jersey would work better if you flipped the colors of the script.

China - I think the red jersey might look better with a white stroke around the script rather than a darker red one, but I love everything else about this set! 

Colombia - One of my nitpicks about Colombia's real life set is how there's red on the cap but nowhere else on the rest of the uniform. Similarly, while I really like your redesign, I wish the red wasn't relegated to just the sleeves. How about red front numbers outlined in gold on the home and road jerseys? Otherwise, this is a huge upgrade over their current uniforms. 

Chinese Taipei, Cuba, the Czech Republic and the DR look perfect as-is. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Brazil - I think the jerseys would benefit from some front numbers, like this. That aside, fantastic design. 

I was pretty committed to the minimalistic, clean look for Brasil, but adding a front number does help include all 3 flag colors like @CDCLT wanted:

N3kcALr.png

Canada - This isn't a criticism of your concept specifically, but I think the road jersey would work better if you flipped the colors of the script.

Honestly, I really like the white letters on the road - it offers a unique look, not seen since the rarely-used 2012 Marlins road gray.

China - I think the red jersey might look better with a white stroke around the script rather than a darker red one, but I love everything else about this set! 

I generally try to avoid yellow & white touching each other in a wordmark, at the colors are too close to where they tend to muddle the letters.

Colombia - One of my nitpicks about Colombia's real life set is how there's red on the cap but nowhere else on the rest of the uniform. Similarly, while I really like your redesign, I wish the red wasn't relegated to just the sleeves. How about red front numbers outlined in gold on the home and road jerseys? Otherwise, this is a huge upgrade over their current uniforms. 

I kind of like that Columbia is primarily blue & yellow, but I do think this looks good!

KrKtasq.png

Chinese Taipei, Cuba, the Czech Republic and the DR look perfect as-is. Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

• Like 1

• MJD7 changed the title to World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (France: 11 of 30)
  • MJD7 changed the title to World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (Germany: 12 of 30)
  • MJD7 changed the title to World Baseball Classic x NIKE 2023 (Great Britain: 13 of 30)

Oh that GB concept is sharp. France is particularly nice too, although I think they could pull off a sort of cotton blend texture like Oregon's uniforms a few years ago. You know, for the sake of fashion.

I think Germany could use another pass. Not necessarily your fault but I think they could really use a fresh start. Their brand stands out as underwhelming for me with the Times New Roman D on the cap, and just a generic script on the front. Maybe something with a Germanic font, or take cues from their football team that's always really sharp. Dress em up like the Pirates in the 90s and you'll have yourself a solid concept.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, raysox said:

Oh that GB concept is sharp. France is particularly nice too, although I think they could pull off a sort of cotton blend texture like Oregon's uniforms a few years ago. You know, for the sake of fashion.

Thanks! Interestingly, that texture makes me think of the Rocky sweatsuit that the 76ers were inspired by for one of their early City Editions. I was going for a more clean, elegant look for France, and to me that texture kind of feels like the opposite of that.

7 hours ago, raysox said:

I think Germany could use another pass. Not necessarily your fault but I think they could really use a fresh start. Their brand stands out as underwhelming for me with the Times New Roman D on the cap, and just a generic script on the front. Maybe something with a Germanic font, or take cues from their football team that's always really sharp. Dress em up like the Pirates in the 90s and you'll have yourself a solid concept.

That's a very fair assessment. I originally felt the same way, as when I started with their set I immediately tried to incorporate a more Germanic font for them to use. However, I couldn't help but get a bit of Nazi vibes from a lot of the fonts I tried, which I obviously wanted to avoid (at least, that should  be obvious). Here were some of the options I tried, though, maybe others would feel differently:

0svyDGR.png

I'd be open to trying other options too, of course.

7 hours ago, heavybass said:

We may of had crap uniforms but surviving three big nations and relegating Colombia is what I call an achievement.

I agree! I hope baseball grows in popularity in the UK, I was fortunate enough to study abroad in London in 2019 (the year of the first London Series between the Yankees & Red Sox, which I got to go to), which was one of my favorite experiences ever.

• Like 1

How about something resembling the Brewers' '90s Motre Bame font for Germany? Also, the number font is a little too minor league-ish for my tastes.

Great Britain looks great, though admittedly, just about anything would be an improvement over their actual uniforms, haha. The swoopy "R" alone makes a world of a difference, and royal blue over navy was a great choice. The sleeve stripes are really sharp, as well. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

That's a very fair assessment. I originally felt the same way, as when I started with their set I immediately tried to incorporate a more Germanic font for them to use. However, I couldn't help but get a bit of Nazi vibes from a lot of the fonts I tried, which I obviously wanted to avoid (at least, that should  be obvious). Here were some of the options I tried, though, maybe others would feel differently:

0svyDGR.png

I'd be open to trying other options too, of course.

hah, yeah good thing to avoid. Just don’t feel bold and make a New Zealand NZ monogram if you get to them. Personally I like 1 and 2. I think with both you could do some effects on the text like the old nationals script where the “eutschlan” is arched and both D’s are bigger. Or maybe skew it on the right side and have a number on the front. 

I think treating the font different than a straight line across the chest would move away from that negative connotation 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

0svyDGR.png

22 hours ago, raysox said:

14 hours ago, raysox said:

Personally I like 1 and 2. I think with both you could do some effects on the text like the old nationals script where the “eutschlan” is arched and both D’s are bigger. Or maybe skew it on the right side and have a number on the front. 

I think treating the font different than a straight line across the chest would move away from that negative connotation 

3 hours ago, Victormrey said:

As for Germany, what about going for a Bauhaus approach? That way you'd be using a German font without any negative historical connotation.

I agree with raysox about 1 and 2 being the best options, and in regards to the larger first and last letter, with an arched "eutschlan". Looking back at the Pirates' old '97-'00 word mark, as well as the Motre Bame Brewers (while avoiding interlocking letters) and the '05-'10 Nationals, there's room to make it work well. While I think font 1 is the most "classically German," font option 2 or 6 are less "busy" fonts that may work well for the wordmark. I think you also throw in some pinstripes too -- maybe with more space between them than normal baseball pinstripes, to emulate football striping OR with some of the more out there designs in the WBC, might I even suggest horizontal pinstripes, like this former national football team jersey?

I think there's room to make a German baseball team concept that looks German and doesn't including any negative connotations, it's just a tricky balance to create.  National pride and patriotism in Germany is not the same as in the US, and that especially extends to the frequency you see the German national flag in Germany versus seeing the American flag in the US. Over the last 15 years, especially, there's been debate specifically regarding use of the flag. Here's a short piece on that and it also briefly explains the history behind Germany's current flag. I would use that piece to inform the color choice. I suggest sparingly using colors, as Germany's football team does, and using the flag gold or a metallic gold more than any shade of red. 

Hopefully that's helpful and not overstepping into your concept too much. I'm really enjoying this series, especially Argentina, Brazil, and Great Britain!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

How about something resembling the Brewers' '90s Motre Bame font for Germany? Also, the number font is a little too minor league-ish for my tastes.

That's a good idea! I might have to see if I can try that out.

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great Britain looks great, though admittedly, just about anything would be an improvement over their actual uniforms, haha. The swoopy "R" alone makes a world of a difference, and royal blue over navy was a great choice. The sleeve stripes are really sharp, as well. 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, raysox said:

hah, yeah good thing to avoid. Just don’t feel bold and make a New Zealand NZ monogram if you get to them.

Interestingly, New Zealand already does have a NZ monogram, designed by SportsLogos.net's own Brandon Moore. I think it works in this case, partially because of the different orientation of the letters (spoiler: I'll be using it for my design at least in some capacity).

18 hours ago, raysox said:

Personally I like 1 and 2. I think with both you could do some effects on the text like the old nationals script where the “eutschlan” is arched and both D’s are bigger. Or maybe skew it on the right side and have a number on the front. 

1 and 2 are my favorites as well, at least at the moment. Interestingly, Germany wore a newer uniform in the WBC qualifiers that might fit the description of what you're imagining. I just haven't been able to get a good image of the wordmark or find what font it is.

8 hours ago, Victormrey said:

The last posts look wonderful! I specially like GB's sleeve design.

As for Germany, what about going for a Bauhaus approach? That way you'd be using a German font without any negative historical connotation.

Thanks! As for Bauhaus, since it's been a stock font on my computers for as long as I can remember, I can't help but get a "Microsoft Word" vibe from it, if that makes sense. To me, it would feel more generic for them than even the script would.

3 hours ago, Megildur said:

I agree with raysox about 1 and 2 being the best options, and in regards to the larger first and last letter, with an arched "eutschlan". Looking back at the Pirates' old '97-'00 word mark, as well as the Motre Bame Brewers (while avoiding interlocking letters) and the '05-'10 Nationals, there's room to make it work well. While I think font 1 is the most "classically German," font option 2 or 6 are less "busy" fonts that may work well for the wordmark. I think you also throw in some pinstripes too -- maybe with more space between them than normal baseball pinstripes, to emulate football striping OR with some of the more out there designs in the WBC, might I even suggest horizontal pinstripes, like this former national football team jersey?

I agree as well that 1 & 2 are the favorites. You've given me some interesting ideas, I might have to try some of them out!

I think there's room to make a German baseball team concept that looks German and doesn't including any negative connotations, it's just a tricky balance to create.  National pride and patriotism in Germany is not the same as in the US, and that especially extends to the frequency you see the German national flag in Germany versus seeing the American flag in the US. Over the last 15 years, especially, there's been debate specifically regarding use of the flag. Here's a short piece on that and it also briefly explains the history behind Germany's current flag. I would use that piece to inform the color choice. I suggest sparingly using colors, as Germany's football team does, and using the flag gold or a metallic gold more than any shade of red. 

For sure. I did read the article, it's interesting how there are some parallels with how the US flag has begun to be co-opted and altered by far-right groups in recent years, as well. As the article asserts, though, I think there's still room to use all 3 of Germany's colors, as they are pretty unique and iconic to them, and if anything are a direct opposition to the old Nazi regime.

Hopefully that's helpful and not overstepping into your concept too much. I'm really enjoying this series, especially Argentina, Brazil, and Great Britain!

Not at all, I appreciate the in-depth feedback and the kind words!

• Like 2