2023 NBA Offseason Thread

Gary

10 hours ago, who do you think said:

Dumb franchise that's two years away from being two years away gives $100M to a cardboard cutout coach.

I agree that they over reached for Monty. But as a Piston fan living in Phoenix, this is a great hire. The way he took the Suns from laughing stock to Finals appearance is what Detroit needs. Especially with how young this team is with Jaden, Cade, Duran and Wiseman. Just need a good veteran presence. Trade Bogdon and get some draft picks. The future is going up and just need the right coach.

11 hours ago, Gary said:

I agree that they over reached for Monty. But as a Piston fan living in Phoenix, this is a great hire. The way he took the Suns from laughing stock to Finals appearance is what Detroit needs. Especially with how young this team is with Jaden, Cade, Duran and Wiseman. Just need a good veteran presence. Trade Bogdon and get some draft picks. The future is going up and just need the right coach.

The Chris Paul trade and a middle-heavy conference got the Suns to the Finals. Monty is merely part of the 80% of NBA coaches that doesn't screw his team over but also doesn't elevate them to any heights they wouldn't have otherwise reached. A cardboard cutout who fills the seat.

It's hard to see an imminent turnaround with the guys you named. Anybody can spam shots and put up some inefficient numbers on a terrible team, especially in 2023, and that's mostly what those first three have done thus far. Cunningham should eventually be good given his draft slot and physical attributes, but this year will be telling (and if he gets hurt again, that might also tells us a lot). I don't know what to tell you about Wiseman. He's already damaged goods and just doesn't seem to be a very good player. Golden State - an old team on the way down - probably wouldn't have let him go for a couple of second rounders and an injured guy if they saw any future with him at all.

> Hey uhhhh just everybody knows we investigated Morant and found out some juicy stuff and we have already made a decision about what will happen to him. I'm not going to tell you that decision yet though, because it might interrupt the Finals and wouldn't be fair to the players. But feel free to speculate!

What an idiot.

• Dislike 1

The real crime is that Ja Morant was born about 10 years too late for the peak basketblogger era; there should have been a law student from Bethesda referring to his game as "almost mystically Wittgensteinian" and then quoting Kendrick Lamar

• Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Chris Paul is being Waived by the Suns. Saving them 27 Million Dollars. Or at least what is being said. The two are meeting and from what is being said by Woj that it could be trade or being waived by the 28th. But he is not coming back 

I hear Memphis may be in need of a veteran point guard... 🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, Gary said:

Chris Paul is being Waived by the Suns. Saving them 27 Million Dollars. Or at least what is being said. The two are meeting and from what is being said by Woj that it could be trade or being waived by the 28th. But he is not coming back 

Whoops forgot this thread had been made.

Paul is clearly in decline at this point but the team's certainly not going to get better without him; he's the only reason they got good in the first place. Sitting here right now, I'd say there's a much-higher-than-zero chance that the Suns are .500 or worse at some critical juncture of next season, and Durant gets traded again (or maybe demands one) - for less, probably a lot less, than what they gave Brooklyn to acquire him. Ishbia pulled a Prokhorov.

50 games minimum or Adam "The Neck" Silver has no spine. An entire season shouldn't be out of the question, either. I personally wouldn't be mad if it was more than that. 

(And I say that as a Grizz fan 🤦🏿)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ja suspended for 20 games because the NBA doesn't support the second amendment.

I'm joking of course but you never know which grievance culture is going to conveniently overreact to stuff they otherwise don't care about.

I don't know what the right punishment is.  Feels like 41 games would have sent a clearer message, but that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm joking of course but you never know which grievance culture is going to conveniently overreact to stuff they otherwise don't care about.

I don't know what the right punishment is.  Feels like 41 games would have sent a clearer message, but that's just me.

It was 25 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This is where I'm at. I was unlikely to be upset because I have no idea what the punishment should be.  For the most part he's an idiot.  25 games is a big chunk of the season. It should impact where the Grizzlies end up in the standings and it will cost him a lot of money. Hopefully he's able to grow up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Beyond happy. MJ was never truly interested in winning and the team will be better for it when he's not the head of basketball ops. With him still involved as a minority owner and other NC natives a part of the group I feel the team in safe in Charlotte. Now hopefully the new owners actually invest in the team.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt