College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

10 minutes ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'm not sure why this is dawning on me just now, but Tampa isn't in southern Florida, right? Maybe it's just because I'm not from the area, but wouldn't it make more sense for USF to be in another city like Miami or something?

Completely off topic, but it feels weird

You're absolutely right. They aren't far enough south to call themselves Florida Southwestern though (which is an actual school near Ft. Myers). I guess they probably could've gone by Tampa State or Tampa Bay University instead. 

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I'm not sure why this is dawning on me just now, but Tampa isn't in southern Florida, right? Maybe it's just because I'm not from the area, but wouldn't it make more sense for USF to be in another city like Miami or something?

Completely off topic, but it feels weird

When USF was founded in 1956 it was the southernmost public university in Florida, hence the name*. By the time FAU and FIU came around in 1961 and 1965 it was too late to change it.

*But even back then there was a clear definition of South Florida and Tampa wasn't part of it, so I still don't really get it even though that's the explanation. Seems like that would've been a good time to use FGCU, then give USF to FIU and make FGCU Southwest Florida or something.

• Like 6

ExJworW.png