world cup

IceCap

yeah, it didn't even look like som eof the players wanted tot ouch that thing...everyone I was watching with thought it was a vase or something

Hey, the Stanley Cup was once used as a vase, right? ^_^

and a basptismal pool, shotglass, and lawn decoration. and a football.

Cyclopsis Joe  Posted on Wednesday, September 15th, 2004 - 08:27:56

Canada won something!

It took 90 years, but it finally happened!

*mob*

:blink: pardon?

yeah, it didn't even look like som eof the players wanted tot ouch that thing...everyone I was watching with thought it was a vase or something

Mario's expressions were priceless during the awarding... It was as if he didn't want to touch it for fear of it giving him shingles or something.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

We were expected to win so we shouldn't celebrate?

Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Didn't say you couldn't celebrate, it's just not a big deal.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

:flagcanada: Congrats to the Canadians though, well done.

Well don't put words in the mouth of Canadians. It is a big deal.

Didn't recall saying that Canadians didn't think it was a big deal. I said in MY opinion it wasn't a big deal. Take it for what it's worth. If it makes you upset, i'm sorry, but deal with it. Remember that opinions are like toes.....everyone has them and they stink.

On another front, it's sad that this is the last NHL calibur game for a while. I hope this damn lockout doesn't last that long.............

Man, I wish that Trophy was at the Hall of Fame, I want my picture with a big ugly VASE.

Mario's expressions were priceless during the awarding... It was as if he didn't want to touch it for fear of it giving him shingles or something.

OK thought I was the only one who thought that. They really didn't look to excited about finally winning. They all had that, "Wow, so this is all there is? :unsure:" look on there faces.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Except for the fact that I at least tried to watch every game, I really didn't much care at all for this tournament for a few reasons:

1. It just seems like this tournament was thrown together out of the blue. It has no rhythm to when it's played it just seemed like a last ditch effort to display professional hockey before the lockout begins tonight.

2. 8 teams to represent the world sounds extremely low key.

3. How can anyone get excited about a trophy that looks so stupid, ambiguous and has no history behind it at all? (And yes even though they are engraving the winning team onto that removable silver goblet, how is anyone gonna be able to read it through those fiberglass tubes?)

Oh well. Go Canada go...I sure could go for a sandwich.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

ahh hell with it..you guys won..take your ugly trophy. Maybe next go around canada will have to actually go on the road to prove there truly the best in the world.

Thats up to whoever organizes the tournament. it should have been this year, since last time the finals took place in North America

and there needs to be some more teams in the tourney. only 8 nations isn't quite the world there

Congratulations to Canada. Though it does seem a little suspicious to enter and win your own contest (wasn't this once called the Canada Cup?) hmmmmm.....

I watched a few games of it when I could. I remember the 96 World Cup. That was awesome. I think the U.S. had a better team that year, and not just because it won the whole thing. It seemed less like a geriatric ward than this team.

I wish this tournament was better structured. It's been 8 years since the last one! It's hard to get worked up over an event most people forgot was still being held. In the past there was 3 or 4 years tops between Cups. But 8 years? It could be every 3 or 4 years. Since it's a late summer event, it wouldn't even cut into pre-season camp time. And it could be in the off years as the Winter Olympics.

A field of 8 teams does seem a bit small. Unless there were preliminary brackets, similar to the World Cup in soccer. I'm not sure how many extra countries would actually be able to put together a team. Maybe a few more European and West Asian countries, but no much else.

A classy trophy instead of a Waterford vase mightdo some good to promote the competition. Winner gets this cool trophy! I liked the last World Cup, the trophy was shaped like the logo. Or maybe something between the Beanpot and the Stanley Cup.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Lots of Canadian players didn't seem really jacked up about winning because when you're expected to win, the joy that comes from achieving that is less... it's as much a relief of not having disappointed the critics than a joy of winning.

However you look at the young guys like Doan and Regehr, and don't tell me they weren't enjoying every second.

...and despite what anyone says about the tournament and it's flaws, lack of history, etc... you look at the teams that played, and they were top notch players playing their hearts out. You see how hard guys like Teppo Numminen, Kiprusoff played... you see how the nations' individual countries supported their teams (the Finnish team was all over the media on the weekend)... and you realize that despite the flaws, despite the lack of history, lots of players still take playing for their nation to heart, and really lay it all out there.

There was some great hockey played. No, it wasn't the '02 Olympics, but it was fun to watch, and I was jumping down every time Canada scored.

Now we get a nice holiday from hockey where Canadians learn to expand their horizons to junior hockey, basketball, and football, and eventually hockey will get their problems ironed out, and we'll all be better off for it.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The participating teams for the World Cup and previously for the Canada Cup were based on IIHF rankings, so they were not just chosen at random, nor was there a lack of qualifying for it...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

ahh hell with it..you guys won..take your ugly trophy. Maybe next go around canada will have to actually go on the road to prove there truly the best in the world.

someone sounds bitter. the us lost because it was an old team.

for the record, the tournement was played in both the us & canada, so while canada won it at home, the us lost at home.

Anyone happen to go down to Toronto to see the game at the ACC or outside? Me and a few mates drove into town just in time to watch the 3rd period (had to drop a friend off at the airport, thus missing out on most of the game), but we were there to the very end. Needless to say, it was a great experience for myself, especially as I was stuck over in the UK during the Salt Lake City olympics and missed out big-time in 2002.

A good night was had by all of us, and much Cider was drunk.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Archived