24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

They can't win another game. They can't set the record for fewest wins in the modern era, but they can tie it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Another SOXWATCH this time for the red ones

The already eliminated Red Sox swept the doubleheader with the Twins. Only Tigers took advantage with a win against the Orioles (which means 1 more Yankee win or Orioles loss means the Yankees win the AL East) because Mariners and Royals lost.

Wild Card Standings

Orioles +4

Detroit 0

Kansas City 0

Minnesota 1 GB

Seattle 2 GB

47 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

It's time for MLB to expand to 32 teams and have a 32-team postseason so that the Mariners can stop missing it. If you know of a better way, I'd like to hear it.

do I have to do my whole "division championships shouldn't guarantee you a playoff spot" spiel again

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

53Ocz8U.png

17 minutes ago, Partycrasher said:

do I have to do my whole "division championships shouldn't guarantee you a playoff spot" spiel again

but then why would we even have divisions? We see what happened in the NBA when people acted like it was a big deal that certain divisions were stronger than others, and now the NBA divisions don't matter

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

If you think Bell was the problem for the Reds, I got three words for you: Bob, Phil, Nick. Bell wasnt bad but he wasnt that great either.  As long as the three stooges in the front office are in charge, they will settle for mediocre.

GYIFnxrXcAAOycu?format=jpg&name=large

Signature intentionally left blank

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think a negative run differential is a sign of a bad team, yes. Quality of wins should also matter.

Then why have wins at all? Why doesn't everybody just play 9 inning games with no winner or loser and at the end of the season, playoffs are solely based on run differential and nothing else?🤷‍♂️

(That was full on sarcasm, btw.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

10 hours ago, Dilbert said:

If you think Bell was the problem for the Reds, I got three words for you: Bob, Phil, Nick. Bell wasnt bad but he wasnt that great either.  As long as the three stooges in the front office are in charge, they will settle for mediocre.

GYIFnxrXcAAOycu?format=jpg&name=large

I am in the Managers Barely Matter camp, but when it comes to David Bell there's no barely about it. He is exactly as good or as bad as the roster he's given. Maybe a little worse this season seeing as how the pythagorean W/L is like 5 games better than the actual W/L.

This is year 6, though. That's a big enough sample size for me to feel comfortable saying he was not going to elevate an 81 win roster to competing for the division. 

After listening to him on the broadcast the last couple years I can say with certainty that I do not want Barry Larkin anywhere near the manager's office. And I love Barry Larkin. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

38 wins or less would give the the White Sox the worst winning percentage in the modern era so that's what we're rooting for. I was a little nervous after that 3 game winning streak that they might be able to scratch out 40 wins, but they need to win 4 out of the last 6 to get there and that looks like a tall task with the Tigers gunning for a playoff spot in the final series. We need the Angels to help out one last time. I believe in them. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Another SOXWATCH this time for the red ones

The already eliminated Red Sox swept the doubleheader with the Twins. Only Tigers took advantage with a win against the Orioles (which means 1 more Yankee win or Orioles loss means the Yankees win the AL East) because Mariners and Royals lost.

Wild Card Standings

Orioles +4

Detroit 0

Kansas City 0

Minnesota 1 GB

Seattle 2 GB

I could care less about the White Sox, when I know my Tigers are in the hunt for the playoffs. Middle of August they weren’t even in the hunt and not even hitting.500 baseball and now a month and a half later they’re tied for the 5th spot and could even surpass the Orioles(long shot) for the 4th? Same team in the middle of August that had a .01 shot to even catch or surpass the Royals? For the first time in a long time I care more about baseball this time of the year than football. Especially when I know my top two teams are both in the 2nd Wild Card Spot. The other team is the Diamondbacks. But super excited at this moment and with 6 games left and 3 of those games against the White Sox. I’m hoping that they can keep their season alive.

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Sport said:

I am in the Managers Barely Matter camp, but when it comes to David Bell there's no barely about it. He is exactly as good or as bad as the roster he's given. Maybe a little worse this season seeing as how the pythagorean W/L is like 5 games better than the actual W/L.

This is year 6, though. That's a big enough sample size for me to feel comfortable saying he was not going to elevate an 81 win roster to competing for the division. 

After listening to him on the broadcast the last couple years I can say with certainty that I do not want Barry Larkin anywhere near the manager's office. And I love Barry Larkin. 

Agreed. Bell was given the roster that could only be afforded by Castelllini and company. Bell was mediocre at best, which is what you're gonna get from the ownership sadly. As for Barry, well dont get me wrong, he's a historic part of the Reds family, but I don't want him as a manager either. We're gonna get another mediocre manager like Skip Schumaker or someone near that level and will continue to be the minor league feeder to the rest of MLB. We are the R.E.D.S., Rebuilding Every Damn Season.

Signature intentionally left blank

Basing anything, even tiebreakers, on run differential is silly.  Silly silly silly.  Just silly.  I just tinkled a little big because I'm giggling so much at the silliness.  

I don't care that soccer does it.  Not disagreeing that run differential (or point differential in football) is typically an indicator of who the better teams are, but the goal is to win games, and good teams figure out ways to win the close ones.  Sometimes it might be dumb luck that they come out on top of the 6-5 games, but it could mean that they're actually good and always rally when down 1 in the 9th.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

National league is wild.

All three wild-card teams have better records than the top AL WC team, the Phillies are competing for a bye with a team that's behind a WC team with 90 wins, and there's literally no team that any team wants to face.  It's not like in years past where there's at least one or two jabroni teams that and low odds.  Every single series could go either way, and bye or no bye, I'm terrified of any matchup the Phillies might have.  I could even see the Mutts in the NLCS, and any of the other teams winning the pennant.  The pessimist in me ranks the Phillies 5 of 6... but they just lost 3 of 4 to the team I'd rank 6, so that says something.

Not that I pay attention when the Phillies aren't in it, but I can't remember a stronger field.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 10:15 AM, Sport said:

38 wins or less would give the the White Sox the worst winning percentage in the modern era so that's what we're rooting for. I was a little nervous after that 3 game winning streak that they might be able to scratch out 40 wins, but they need to win 4 out of the last 6 to get there and that looks like a tall task with the Tigers gunning for a playoff spot in the final series. We need the Angels to help out one last time. I believe in them. 

I don't!

but speaking of teams I'd appreciate the help of, it sure would be nice if San Francisco stepped up to give the Mets some more breathing room over Arizona. there's only so much you can expect to accomplish in Atlanta, so I'm not treating them like a playoff team until they've clinched; regardless, season's been a hell of a ride.

53Ocz8U.png