2024 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIX

4 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

Thank you Bills for not listening to all the fans who want all-white vs. all-black.

I noticed that since 2022 (year of the blueberries) the Bills have been switching pants colors after each loss in the home and jerseys. They were 0-2 in blue/white in 2022 and so wore blueberries most of the year and the playoffs. Then last year they were successful in blue/white and went 1-2 in blueberries, not wearing them again once they started winning in December. Hopefully blue/white is back for good but I have the feeling they'll switch back to blueberries if they suffer a loss in blue/white this season.

2 hours ago, Colin56 said:

I noticed that since 2022 (year of the blueberries) the Bills have been switching pants colors after each loss in the home and jerseys. They were 0-2 in blue/white in 2022 and so wore blueberries most of the year and the playoffs. Then last year they were successful in blue/white and went 1-2 in blueberries, not wearing them again once they started winning in December. Hopefully blue/white is back for good but I have the feeling they'll switch back to blueberries if they suffer a loss in blue/white this season.

Last time they went full blueberry (including blue socks), they lost to Zach Wilson. That should be enough superstition-wise to tell you not to wear that again.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

I believe that is a Southern term. At least they aren't calling them 'dungarees.'

Not a Southern term.  Old English origins.

As for the Titans, it’s a Jim Wyatt thing (local reporter who now works for the Titans).

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 6:18 PM, Colin56 said:

Why does every team insist that which uniform combo they wear affects if they win or lose? This trend has gotten increasingly annoying. Teams need to quit attributing every outcome of a game to a uniform and quit the uniform superstition crap. It’s old now.

Look at a team like the Raiders or Packers, or in CFB like Alabama or Georgia. Teams with only one home and one away set. When they lose a game, do they quit wearing that combo? Nope, because that’s all they have. It’s literally only an issue with teams who have multiple helmet, jersey, and pants combos.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kaleb_girod said:

Why does every team insist that which uniform combo they wear affects if they win or lose? This trend has gotten increasingly annoying. Teams need to quit attributing every outcome of a game to a uniform and quit the uniform superstition crap. It’s old now.

Look at a team like the Raiders or Packers, or in CBF like Alabama or Georgia. Teams with only one home and one away set. When they lose a game, do they quit wearing that combo? Nope, because that’s all they have. It’s literally only and issue with teams who have multiple helmet, jersey, and pants combos.

I think it's more up to the players. I know that Josh is a very superstitious player and he's gone on record to say so. He even rocked a mullet at the beginning of last season until the lack luster start made him cut his hair back into his usual look. It wouldn't surprise me is those decisions were being made by him and the captains or the "leadership council" of the Bills this season. Either way Blue on White and White on Blue rock

5 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

Look at a team like the Raiders or Packers, or in CBF like Alabama or Georgia. Teams with only one home and one away set. When they lose a game, do they quit wearing that combo? Nope, because that’s all they have. It’s literally only and issue with teams who have multiple helmet, jersey, and pants combos.

Agreed, laundry doesn't cause teams to win or lose. And I'd be worried if players actually spent time thinking about that, because that means they aren't focusing on the game.

The Cowboys started this mess in 1964 when they were the only team to fully adopt white at home for all home games, which didn't change until 2001 when they wore their blue jerseys at home once against Denver.

The Cowboys used to believe in the 'blue jersey curse' because in the 70s they went 10-11 wearing their blue jerseys. Teams would routinely force the Cowboys to wear their blue jerseys when they came to their stadium. The Eagles went so far as to wear white at home in the 1980 NFCC Game just for that reason...and the Panthers continue to wear white at home vs. the Cowboys even if it's late in the season.

The real reason the Cowboys lost more in their blue jerseys? I think it was because they didn't wear them enough. When your QB is dropping back and looking for a wide open receiver in a white jersey in 14 out of 16 games, your mind becomes accustomed to looking for that white jersey whether you realize it or not. Then all of a sudden one week you switch to a jersey you barely ever see, and maybe you hesitate for 1/25th of a second too long...which is all it takes for a play to go sideways in the NFL.

Do I have any proof? Nope. 🤔

Just noticed: The Cowboys wore their white jerseys 31 straight times from 1971-73...and lost their first game wearing the blue jersey at Philly in '73.

On a side note, the Rams held the record for wearing their white jerseys for 47 straight games from 1967-70. Their first game wearing their blue jerseys in 1971? A loss to the lowly Saints, followed by a later loss at Dallas while wearing blue again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

1 hour ago, YelichGraphics said:

I think it's more up to the players. I know that Josh is a very superstitious player and he's gone on record to say so. He even rocked a mullet at the beginning of last season until the lack luster start made him cut his hair back into his usual look. It wouldn't surprise me is those decisions were being made by him and the captains or the "leadership council" of the Bills this season. Either way Blue on White and White on Blue rock

The silly reason why Texans stopped wearing red socks with blue pants and why they went with navy yoga pants after 2008

10 minutes ago, PrimalCookie said:

Nothing against the white pants, but IMO black pants/orange socks is their best combo with all 3 uniforms. It just works so well.

I disagree.  The Orange socks don't do it for me.  Might be different if the whole team wore Orange cleats. 

I think White pants should always be worn with the Black jerseys, or if they're going all Black, this is one rare instance where I think Black socks are warranted.  

I prefer this:

1236469643.0.jpg

...to this:

08nfl-bengals-lead-1-db6a-articleLarge.j

The problem is, Orange/Black/White/Black is their best Home look:

71845850007-21883738.jpeg?width=1200&dis

...but neither existing White pant stripe pattern works for these.  For the life of me, I don't know why they went with these White pants:

EzVr1QoUYAIxZ6B.jpg

They just need to take the Black/Orange stripe panel out of the Black pants and put them in the White pants, like they used to always have, and wear that set of White pants with the Black & Orange jerseys:

NFL-Ryan-Finley.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

...or only wear their new Orange pants with the Black & Orange jerseys:

Bengals-Orange-Pants-8.jpg

Fixes the whole set. 

Even if I personally would have rather them the kept the prior Color Rush jersey - 1-color block numbers, contrasting cap sleeve, contrasting collar - and built new home, away, and alts off of those.   This was the best they've ever looked, Orange or White helmet:

EDS5J5YYOG2TXPQFQZO4363GE4.jpg

balgmqgkjrpbulyceyrf.jpg

And Ted Hyman's concepts built off of that are perfect (if the pant stripe is made straight like on the current set):

RdKGqZO.jpeg

X0im6pE.jpeg

epx6il1.jpeg

Alright, almost perfect...after looking at these, I like the current Black jersey better (with the Black collar and cap sleeve) and the Bengals wordmark vs the B, but the 1-color block number was superior.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrAstrodome said:

The silly reason why Texans stopped wearing red socks with blue pants and why they went with navy yoga pants after 2008

Yeah, it wasn’t like they stunk at first because they were an expansion team…nope, had to be because their pants and socks contrasted. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1