2025 MLB Uniform/Logo Changes

5 hours ago, schlim said:

The Astros could go all black with all black logos, numbers and lettering in celebration of Houston's Rothko Chapel and color field painting.  Seems to fit modern sports branding trends.

Along with minimalism (though the Twins got it right with their redesign), stealth/blackout uniforms are one of the worst trends in sports design of late. For an on field product, you actually want to see badges, but usually on the TV, you can't see :censored:.

I don't mind it on the merch, but for the on field product, I really, really hope it stays confined to soccer and dies a death.

Doesn't WM actually advertise on some team's uniform?  That gives me an idea... maybe this year I'll be a big IBX sign.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

The Red Sox are dropping their blue jerseys! The red jerseys will remain, the old CC ones will be retained as an alternate, and the team will have a new CC in 2025.

I think this is stupid. Not a fan of the program to begin with, but to drop a team color alternate to keep a city uniform and add another city uniform screams buy more merchandise and dilutes your brand. They are obsessed with making everything like soccer. Ads, an iconic recognizable uniform, and weird color uniforms they can remake yearly. Whatever, call me an old man yelling at a cloud or whatever, but I’d much prefer to see a road gray, home white, a color alternate, possibly a second color alternate (if it makes sense), and or possibly a throwback. 

• Like 4
KISSwall09.jpg

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

The Red Sox are dropping their blue jerseys! The red jerseys will remain, the old CC ones will be retained as an alternate, and the team will have a new CC in 2025.

Wow, this is (as the tweet suggests) pretty major news. I didn’t realize something like this would be possible.

The Red Sox would not be the first team I’d nominate to do something like this (I think the White Sox, Angels, & Rockies would be solid nominees, as they each only have one alternate, anyway), but I suppose since it was so popular, it makes sense why they’d want to keep it around.

Like @hormone said, though, this does set a dangerous precedent for brand dilution. I’ve always thought that, if Nike was going to commit to the City program for MLB, it should have been intended to be a more long-lasting and stable part of the rotation. That way, they don’t have to get rid of good designs, consistently rotating them out for (likely) progressively worse ones.

• Like 1

@hormone @MJD7 I get the brand dilution argument, but I also think the City Connect is just a better uniform than the navy blue alternate. And the CC has been around for a while now, so I think it has established a spot within the Red Sox brand. 

I am curious which direction they go with a new CC, though. That's where brand dilution could become an issue if they have three different color schemes. 

For the record, my take is that they should have the home whites, road greys, red tops as a home and road alternate, and then the 70s pullover jerseys with red caps as a day game weekend alternate. Then, I'd keep the current CC uniforms indefinitely in that slot.

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1

4 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Wow, this is (as the tweet suggests) pretty major news. I didn’t realize something like this would be possible.

The Red Sox would not be the first team I’d nominate to do something like this (I think the White Sox, Angels, & Rockies would be solid nominees, as they each only have one alternate, anyway), but I suppose since it was so popular, it makes sense why they’d want to keep it around.

Like @hormone said, though, this does set a dangerous precedent for brand dilution. I’ve always thought that, if Nike was going to commit to the City program for MLB, it should have been intended to be a more long-lasting and stable part of the rotation. That way, they don’t have to get rid of good designs, consistently rotating them out for (likely) progressively worse ones.

The Angels should drop their Red Alternate. Not only is it an unpleasant design with the silver on white trim and red name and number on a red base, it's also emblematic of how badly Arte Moreno has ran the Halos.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

@hormone @MJD7 I get the brand dilution argument, but I also think the City Connect is just a better uniform than the navy blue alternate. And the CC has been around for a while now, so I think it has established a spot within the Red Sox brand. 

I am curious which direction they go with a new CC, though. That's where brand dilution could become an issue if they have three different color schemes. 

For the record, my take is that they should have the home whites, road greys, red tops as a home and road alternate, and then the 70s pullover jerseys with red caps as a day game weekend alternate. Then, I'd keep the current CC uniforms indefinitely in that slot.

I have to think they'd go with the Fenway inspiration this time around (which I've concepted). That way, it'd still stick pretty close to the Sox' main branding. Who knows, though, maybe they'll surprise me, like they did to all of us with their first go-around.

I agree that I would love to see the 70s throwback make a return. The red cap with a navy brim, at the very least, would make for a wonderful alternate cap, maybe fulfilling the same but opposite purpose of the Cardinals' navy cap.

37 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The Angels should drop their Red Alternate. Not only is it an unpleasant design with the silver on white trim and red name and number on a red base, it's also emblematic of how badly Arte Moreno has ran the Halos.

I don't know why, but the red-on-red has grown on me, maybe simply because it's unique, something about it feels right for them, in my eyes. I do think their logo set is long past due for an update, though. Even removing the "spikes" and bevels would go a long way (as I've also concepted countless times).

• Like 1

I hate the Red Sox in navy shirts and won't miss those at all, yet this news is somehow worse. The yellow/sky-blue merch has only ever been bought by people with bad taste. This team will have the number of color schemes substantially outnumbering number of playoff appearances over the course of these four years, what a dark time. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

44 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I agree that I would love to see the 70s throwback make a return. The red cap with a navy brim, at the very least, would make for a wonderful alternate cap, maybe fulfilling the same but opposite purpose of the Cardinals' navy cap.

Throughout the 2010s, they would occasionally wear the 70s pullover top/red-crown cap for throwback nights at Fenway. Usually unannounced. You could buy the caps from New Era/tops from Mitchell & Ness whenever you felt like. It was fine! Nobody was mad about this arrangement!

• Like 1

I had no idea Boston’s current City Connect uniforms were “popular”. Adopting *that* for the foreseeable future is deplorable.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952bp8b2y11x4aa518m3u

Officially joining the “IS NOTHING SACRED?!” crowd.

• Like 2

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

17 minutes ago, LEWJ said:

I had no idea Boston’s current City Connect uniforms were “popular”. Adopting *that* for the foreseeable future is deplorable.

For the first year or two, I don't think they were from what I saw, but then they went from "Marathon weekend special" to "idk random series throughout the whole season" and I guess it worked as a marketing scheme, unfortunately. Feel like I've seen that merch more on kids than adults, so I guess the post-Zoomers have pestered their parents enough to buy it, but some adults buy it too.

I'm also thinking about how, when these launched, part of the PR was that it was meant to be a semi-rebrand to reach out the parts of greater Boston that have not always been welcomed in Red Sox fandom. Which was funny considering that the Marathon has an even more anti-black history than the Red Sox do, and also that they maybe didn't need to be weirdly hostile and ultimately trade the best black player of our generation 2 years earlier. But what do I know.

• Applause 1

10 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

How soon before they tear down Fenway Park?

No time soon, Fenway Sports Group has bought even more of the surrounding plots and has all sorts of redevelopment schemes out for permitting with the city. If you thought the "pink hat" era and the initial redev of the Fenway neighborhood away from its warehouse-and-fast-food-drivethru parking lot legacy was sacreligious, you ain't seen nothing yet, as they say. Looking forward to pregaming a Sox game in 2028 at, idk, a Caffe Nero across the street.