Championship patches on uniforms.

marlinfan

i was surprised this year to see the marlins wearing a championship patch on their uniforms. then i started to think today, i don't recall ever seeing a championship on any team in pro sports. i remember seeing an old cardinal uni and maybe the giants with a logo on their uni but the uni was almost 90 years old.

So i ask this can you recall any unis with a championship patch on them?

my list:

Florida Marlins - 2003 World Championship patch

1997 | 2003

I can't find a picture but the San Diego Gulls once won the WCHL Championship and opning night the next season they had a special jersey where they replaced some of the stripes with a pic of the trophy side by side by side.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

i believe that every season when an English Premier League team wins the league, they wear a modified EPL patch on their sleeve the next season, that calls them the champions... but you have to see it up-close to notice any difference between it and the regular EPL patch.

In the old days of the NHL teams often changed their unis to show off that the y won the cup. In 24-25 the montreal canadiens moved the C-H logo to a patch on their sleeve and made their main logo a globe to signify that they were world champions. Just a little tidbit of knowledge:

Canadiens4.gif

other teams did it as well:

Senators2.gif

StPats3.gif

The 1906 New York Giants, 1921 Cleveland Indians and 1927 St. Louis Cardinals wore jerseys with the words "World's Champions" on them.

Here is a photo of the 1906 New York Giants jersey that was worn by Hall-of-Famer Christy Mathewson. It was on display at Keystone College in Factoryville, PA, where Mathewson attended. (The man is Tim Wiles, one of the directors of the Hall of Fame.)

jersey.jpg

(Unfortunately, this jersey was stolen a year after this photo was taken.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

teams should bring this trend back...

it's very cocky and arrogant, and i think that's great :)

imagine seeing ben wallace wearing a jersey that only says WORLD CHAMPS... or nikolai khabibulin in a sweater with the globe as the crest... that's just a cool thought.

yeah... it's 4:30 AM, and i'm saying this crap.... so maybe it's time i should go to bed, and review my thoughts after i'm more well rested :)

Archived