Another Wrestler Death

CC97

I was surpirsed to learn that he was only 42 years old. I thought he was older than that.

Anyone who does follow Pro Wrestling has to wonder just what is happening with the atheletes inteh past years. People are dying right and left.

Big Boss Man. Miss Elizabeth. Road Warrior Hawk. Curt 'Mr Perfect' Henning (man he was cool in his prime) Crash Holly, Yokozuna (some time now, I know) to name a few.

If these were 'legitamte' pro atheletes, this would be big news, and everyone would be wondering why all these people have been dying while still int heir prime (some not prime, but while they are still working)

Wasn't it the WWF back in those days? Kindof revisionist history, eh?

Back when I watched such things, he was cool. Of course, when I got older, I thought he was cool for other reasons.

It was, but they can't use the WWF name anymore because of their settlement with the World Wildlife Fund.

Back on topic, though, it's becoming an epidemic how many former pro wrestlers are passing on lately. Maybe there was something to that whole steroid case against Vince McMahon after all.

It was, but they can't use the WWF name anymore because of their settlement with the World Wildlife Fund.

Back on topic, though, it's becoming an epidemic how many former pro wrestlers are passing on lately. Maybe there was something to that whole steroid case against Vince McMahon after all.

I just hope we don't translate that arguement to other sports..... <_<

I was a wrestling fan in the late 80's and early 90's.

I guess I've known most of these guys were on the elephant juice for all of that time, and well, I guess it's surprising how many of them are not only still alive, but some are even still wrestling I believe.

In regards to the question am I surprised some of them die? No.

Well in Wrestling its more then Steroids.

They wrestle every night are always on the road.

They take pain killers and uppers to combined with steroids its a bad combo in addition there are party drugs alchol and more and its a lot of damage being done to internal organs.

Well in Wrestling its more then Steroids.

They wrestle every night are always on the road.

They take pain killers and uppers to combined with steroids its a bad combo in addition there are party drugs alchol and more and its a lot of damage being done to internal organs.

Has anyone seen the doco Beyond the Mat?

It shows what a life these guys lead.

You're quite right Tank, it's not just the 'roids, but the lifestyle as well.

Either way, with some of them, it's a wonder they last as long as they do.

Anyone who did see Beyond the Mat would be amazed that Jake The Snake Roberts was still alive.

Most of these early deaths are attributed to drugs or alcohol. But others are just do to other factors.

I think Road Warrior Hawk had a heart condition similar to John Ritter. He told his wife he was going to take a nap, getting ready for a long trip. His wife came in to wake him and he died in his sleep.

I know Ric Flair has had a history of heart problems. He collapsed in the ring one time in WCW. I am amazed to see him still very active physically, even in his early 50s.

Yokozuna, his death was due to his weight. He did not take good care of himself. He wasn't even 40 when he died.

Curt Hennig's death was definitely drugs. Miss Elizabeth was a combination of prescription drugs and alcohol. I don't remember what killed Rick Rude. His was very sudden.

Yes, wrestling very much takes its toll on the performers. Remember Christopher Nowitzki? He started suffering severe migraines from a concussion he suffered one night. I think he's still listed on the roster, but now he speaks out representing Harvard to youth groups about head injury prevention.

There's been no news on Bossman yet...it might be drug-related, it might not.

Beyond the Mat was a good look into the life of the guys behind the scenes. I enjoyed it alot.

The amazing thing to me was to see Jake wrestling in front of about 100 people, when a few years earlier he had been the guy out in front of 10s of 1000s. To see him all coked up was truely heartwrenching. but on the whole, Beyond the Mat is very well done. I have the Wrestlemania XX DVD, and on it is a copy of The Maina of Wrestlemania, which I found similar is some respects to Beyond the Mat.

Althought it is done and biased by WWE, is it a good look at what some ofhte guys out there go through to be in the buisness

Regarding steroids in wrestling, you can really see the effects in HHH. When he started as the blueblood, he was around Jericho's size. Then, all the sudden, he turned into the ultimate body builder, and then now, he is piling on some fat that comes from the effects of getting off the juice. Will I be surprised if he dies early? Of course not.

I remember seeing HHH in a Monday Night Raw many years ago, possibly 96 or 97. It was a taped Raw at Lowell Memorial Auditorium (back when they would show live Monday, tape Tuesday for the next Monday's show, until Rick Rude screwed the WWF by announcing the "live" results the next week on WCW). I think HHH wreslted William Regal. I was surprised at how big he was then. This was the very beginning of DX, when he, Shawn Michaels and Chyna were starting to get huge (no pun). Helmsley was always very built, but obviously not as "enhanced" as he is now.

Bulldog had a drug addiction and it eventually killed him. Droz (A.K.A. Road Warrior Puke) suffered head injuries in a match and was paralyzed. I don't know if it was temporary or not. I haven't heard anything about Mero, except who his wife is (Sable).

Droz's paralysis is permanent, IIRC.

The Von Erichs, well, that's a whole different animal altogether.

there are an increacing number of head nad neck injuries, and not in the same vien as Droz. I think it was D'lo when he powerrbobed him.

Alot of guys in the past 3 years have had to have neck fusion oerations, Kurt angle, Edge, Test (the local boy!) Benoit, Rhyno and bob holly. thats alot of inured necks, and they aren't stopping all at once either, someo f these guys go for weeks before taking the time off

there are an increacing number of head nad neck injuries, and not in the same vien as Droz. I think it was D'lo when he powerrbobed him.

Alot of guys in the past 3 years have had to have neck fusion oerations, Kurt angle, Edge, Test (the local boy!) Benoit, Rhyno and bob holly. thats alot of inured necks, and they aren't stopping all at once either, someo f these guys go for weeks before taking the time off

Droz was actually injured via a D'Lo German suplex (one wrestler holds the other from behind, lifts him over his head and drops him on his back/shoulders in one motion). I think he still runs an online commentary on wwe.com. But, let's not forget that Steve Austin's career was killed by that Owen Hart piledriver. But, these injuries are being prevented, because McMahon has banned several moves, like the piledriver, as well as ordering that matches cut down on "high spots," opting for more mat fighting.

Archived