Ichiro...

TheYankeeSlayer

Well it looks like Ichiro Suzuki is going to break the single season hits record in the next couple of days (hopefully on Friday because I?m working at Safeco that day, and I really don?t want him to take away from Edgar?s retirement ceremony) and I just wanted to know what are your opinions of this guys truly historic season.

felix5ix8na.png

Don't get me wrong here, it is a great feat to get 250+ hits, where ever he ends up. Even though the Mariners have had less than a decent year, I don't think what he has done has really helped the team any. As of now 217 of his 254 have been singles. From what I have heard is Ichiro has the power to hit homers, he puts on a decent BP display at times. With 217 singles it looks like a great hitter is just padding his stats.

His tear started in July when the Mariners were done. Its kinda like everyone would say that all Albert Belle's numbers came after the Indians had pretty much locked things up.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I'll give him his due, especially on how long the record stood. If he breaks it, good for him.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Ichiro is sweet I bet 1/3 of those singles are infield hits, and if Ichiro could hit a home run every time he would do it I don't think hes hitting singles to "pad stats" I think that's just his game.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Ichiro's game is to get on base. He's got speed and has some great base running abilities. Plus, he plays a great outfield. Just imagine what he might been if he had played in the majors his whole career. With his durability he would seriously be a threat to break 3,500+ career hits, if not more.

I agree with Caolina. A large number of those hits are not only infield hits, but bunts. It seems to me like he's just trying to pad his stats with bunts instead of trying to get extra base hits, which are far more helpful to his team.

IUe6Hvh.png

I agree with Caolina. A large number of those hits are not only infield hits, but bunts. It seems to me like he's just trying to pad his stats with bunts instead of trying to get extra base hits, which are far more helpful to his team.

I think that is bull to say that, a hit is a hit. if he knows he can get an extra base hit, then why does he choose the bunt. If he is 'padding his stats', then extra base hits are more "stat-friendly" than bunts and infield singles. Its just his game. He is a "small-ball" player. i cant beleive we have people raggin on players when they hit too many homeruns (steriods, etc.), and now for not hitting enough homeruns??

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

How many players choose to hit bunts? That call comes from the coaches.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Few people respect small-ball anymore. As an Angel fan, I've really begun to appreciate it, and someone that productive is an asset. Sure, hitting a homer is exciting, but getting on base is just as important. You have to give it to Ichiro though. Being that productive with his team falling apart around him. At least he gives something for Mariner fans to be proud of, which has definately helped to make Seattle more of a spoiler down the stretch.

VmWIn6B.png

I agree with Caolina.  A large number of those hits are not only infield hits, but bunts.  It seems to me like he's just trying to pad his stats with bunts instead of trying to get extra base hits, which are far more helpful to his team.

I think that is bull to say that, a hit is a hit. if he knows he can get an extra base hit, then why does he choose the bunt. If he is 'padding his stats', then extra base hits are more "stat-friendly" than bunts and infield singles. Its just his game. He is a "small-ball" player. i cant beleive we have people raggin on players when they hit too many homeruns (steriods, etc.), and now for not hitting enough homeruns??

Show me, at what point in my post, I even mentioned Home Runs.

Here's an article that was done about this exact topic.

Ichiro's hit parade marches on as M's float into oblivion

Do you realize, that about two or three weeks ago, Ichiro bunted with 2 outs and a runner in scoring position? Take note of the fact that he did this twice in a 2-day span. Seriously, when he has the ability to bunt and he has a good hitter behind him, why not get extra base hits? Maybe he'll have scored more than the 99 runs he has this year, which is absolutely pathetic considering his speed and OBP.

And I believe it's completely Ichiro's call. Hitting coach Paul Molitor has told him it'd be more helpful for him to hit in this situation.

IUe6Hvh.png

After re-reading my post, I realize it didn't quite come across the way I wanted. I didn't mean to imply that Ichiro should be hitting homers. What I was getting at was the fact that his extra-base hits were down from previous years. To me that's a guy just trying to slap a single instead of trying to generate some offense when you know the rest of your team is struggling.

Also, SB's are down considering he has 217 singles and 48 walks he'd have a couple more than 35. As far as bunts and stealing, I would guess that a man with Ichiro's speed doesn't have to wait on a sign from the manager to do it, more than likely they have a don't bunt or steal sign for him. At least 187 times he's been on first without anyone in front of him, and he's only tried 46 steals.

All I was getting at is that he started to produce about the time the Mariners went in the tank, when the pressure was off. His D is great, obviously his eye is great, I just wonder how many of thosse singles could have been a little bit more. How many hits could Tony Gwynn of had in a season if all he tried for was singles.

If a guy swings for a homer every time he's not gonna help his team much, inversely I beleive a guy who only looks for a single is no help either. But, Unless they would hace let Ichiro bat every other spot in the lineup, nothing could have helped Seattle.

semperfi.gif

I agree with Caolina.  A large number of those hits are not only infield hits, but bunts.  It seems to me like he's just trying to pad his stats with bunts instead of trying to get extra base hits, which are far more helpful to his team.

Show me, at what point in my post, I even mentioned Home Runs.

Here's an article that was done about this exact topic.

Ichiro's hit parade marches on as M's float into oblivion

Do you realize, that about two or three weeks ago, Ichiro bunted with 2 outs and a runner in scoring position? Take note of the fact that he did this twice in a 2-day span. Seriously, when he has the ability to bunt and he has a good hitter behind him, why not get extra base hits? Maybe he'll have scored more than the 99 runs he has this year, which is absolutely pathetic considering his speed and OBP.

And I believe it's completely Ichiro's call. Hitting coach Paul Molitor has told him it'd be more helpful for him to hit in this situation.

Guess I wasn't alone in my thoughts. Thanks for the article to help support my point. Just wish I would have seen it first. :D

semperfi.gif

...with the M's well out of the playoff race for quite a while now, who really cares? Nobody blamed Mark McGwire for swinging for the fences once the Cards were out of the playoff picture.

It's hard enough to get a hit in baseball... yes, you can control bunting, but seriously, that's only a relatively small percent of his hits... when you full swing, you can't really control the quality of the contact, so can you really control whether you get a single or a double? It's more or less where the ball falls (ie. in the alley, along a baseline, or not) that determines how many bases you'll get.

I think it's amazing what Ichiro has done. This is the type of record that, if he breaks it, no matter how, it's remarkable.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

This is like getting on Tony Gwynn for chasing 400 because he did not hit for enough power. Come on tip your hat if it was easy then it would have been done.

Also check his stats for the first four years. Almost 1000 hits, unbelievable. Enjoy it stop worrying about how it was done, by singles or hrs. One stolen base tittle, 4 gold gloves ( I am assuming he will get it this year), with a 370 average, and he will steel 50 bags again this year, "which really means 50 doubles'" as Tommy Larsoda would say. Sit back and enjoy the fact your a witness to history.

And I would say he is on the top 3 of every managers list of players they would want on their team.

As for stepping on Edgar, Ichiro stated last night that this weekend is about Edgar and not him regardless of the record and he will not be keeping the ball.

Yep that is a non-team player for you.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree. This is an amazing thing to do. Look singles or HRs, a hit is it hit.

I disagree. Yes a single is a hit, but a HR is a hit that puts points on the board automatically, and the point of getting hits is too eventually be putting points on the board.

Ichiro is only 35th in the league in runs despite having 42 more hits than the next closest batter and being the fastest player in the Major Leagues. Obviously, his singles aren't contributing to the well-being of his teams as much as if ANY of them were doubles or triples. So no, I can't see him bunting to get on base just for the sake of getting a hit as being reasonable when he's certainly a good enough hitter and fast enough to be getting extra base hits in some of those situations.

Especially considering the fact that the Mariners #2 hitter, Randy Winn, is hitting .303 with runners in scoring position and is having a solid year.

And I also disagree that a batter has no control over where the ball is hit to. In fact, I think hitters have very good control over that. That's what makes the great hitters great, not slapping at the ball, or bunting, and beating out the throw to first just because you're fast.

Does it matter if Ichiro stops playing selfishly and bunts with runners in scoring postion and 2 outs towards the standings? No. But I think Ichiro owes it to the league and Mariners fans who still pay money to see them to at least make the Mariners competative.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived