Ichiro...

TheYankeeSlayer

Whatever problems the rest of the M's lineup may have, Ichiro does his part as a leadoff hitter by getting on base and creating havoc once he's there. His style is not for everyone, but Ichiro has the skill and speed to make it work. If Ichiro can consistently bunt for base hits -- and his .370+ BA suggests he can -- more power to him. Bunting and small ball in general are dying arts. And they make for smart, entertaining baseball when done right.

As for the "bunting w/ two outs and runners on" issue, it's highly unorthodox. Which is why it's a great baseball play. There's nothing wrong w/ going against the book when you can play it to your advantage. I'm guessing that even a defense that knows Ichiro is likely to bunt wouldn't expect the gambit in that situation. Ichiro's got the element of surprise working for him and the ability to reach base on a bunt even when the opposition believes it's reasonably likely he'll lay one one down. When they're caught unawares, the advantage is clearly to Ichiro.

I hope he breaks the record and I tip my cap to him.

After re-reading my post, I realize it didn't quite come across the way I wanted. I didn't mean to imply that Ichiro should be hitting homers. What I was getting at was the fact that his extra-base hits were down from previous years. To me that's a guy just trying to slap a single instead of trying to generate some offense when you know the rest of your team is struggling.

Also, SB's are down considering he has 217 singles and 48 walks he'd have a couple more than 35. As far as bunts and stealing, I would guess that a man with Ichiro's speed doesn't have to wait on a sign from the manager to do it, more than likely they have a don't bunt or steal sign for him. At least 187 times he's been on first without anyone in front of him, and he's only tried 46 steals.

All I was getting at is that he started to produce about the time the Mariners went in the tank, when the pressure was off. His D is great, obviously his eye is great, I just wonder how many of thosse singles could have been a little bit more. How many hits could Tony Gwynn of had in a season if all he tried for was singles.

If a guy swings for a homer every time he's not gonna help his team much, inversely I beleive a guy who only looks for a single is no help either. But, Unless they would hace let Ichiro bat every other spot in the lineup, nothing could have helped Seattle.

I see what you mean, but if every other member of your team is struggling, wouldn't you just want to try and get something started? Rather than swinging for the fences or greedily looking for extra bases, Ichiro is just trying to get on base. What's wrong with that? Singles are easier to hit, yes, but if they're there, why not take them? Why go looking for the big bomb or whatever when you know you can slap one the other way into left? If they're gonna give it to you, take it. That's what John Madden says in his game, and I believe him.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Because he's only scored 99 (Don't know if he broke 100, or whatever in his latest game) runs. So how affective can you really say a single is when you get 250+ of them and only score 99 times? Considering the guys behind him in the line up are pretty good with runners in scoring position, he would certainly be helping his team out more if he tried for doubles and what not rather than bunting as much as he does -- ESPECIALLY with runners in scoring position.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived