Nicknames ending in S

Broken Record

I'm glad they have this rule.  Both MLB and the NFL have a tradition worth defending, a tradition that would be cheapened by goofy names like "Wild" and "Heat."

So the NHL, around since 1917 in its current incarnation, doesn't have this same tradition, even though it is older than the NFL? I'm lost on that one... :blink:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think 'Jazz' is the only really good name that doesn't end with 'S'.

I happen to think Jazz is the worst of the names. Seriously, Jazz? That is BRUTAL for a sports team.

jazz isn't that bad, a bit out of place for utah.

however, the Mighty Ducks and Angels are probably worse when it comes to awful names for a team.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Angels made sense in the beginning, because the team was originally in Los Angeles (full name is Ciudad de los Angelos, "City of the Angels")

Actually, it's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reyna de Los Angeles (the town of our lady the queen of the angels). But, Anaheim Angels does have a nice ring to it.

And, we actually just call them the Ducks down here. I think that Anaheim Ducks would be a better name, because I hate the "of Anaheim" name slapped on at the end.

VmWIn6B.png

Hey, they've already abandoned that legacy. If they're not interested in sounding like a bush league, I can't help that. I can only respect the NFL and MLB for drawing the line.

first off, just because the nhl includes teams with names like "wild" "avalanch" and "lightning" dosnt make them sound like a bush leauge. personally i find nothing wrong with singular names. there are some good ones and some bad ones, jut like pluaral names. imo some people take tradition way to seriously. im all for tradition, but just because an idea (re:singular names) is less then 50 years old dosnt make it a bad idea.

as for the nfl and mlb drawing the line, they havnt. neither leauge has a rule that prohibits teams from using singular names if they desire to.

I wanted to note that the NFL can't be that strict, look at the NFL Europe teams (Thunder and Fire).

But the NFL Europe is bush-league. I like it, but it's minor league NFL. Definitely not on the same level as the big 4.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Here in North Dakota, our two major universities are plural names without an S at the end -- the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux and North Dakota State University Bison.

As for the team name Wizards, that was my hometown's high school team nickname until about 1960 or '61 when the students had had enough of rivals calling them things like the Lizards. But what goes around seems to come around.

I would have thought that the plural of Bison is Bison, and that the plural of Sioux is Sioux, hence the lack of "s" at the end. Not 100% sure, but just a feeling.

Cheers,

Greg

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

I would have thought that the plural of Bison is Bison, and that the plural of Sioux is Sioux, hence the lack of "s" at the end. Not 100% sure, but just a feeling.

Cheers,

Greg

then i guess u could interpret the names any way u want to. everybody wins! :P

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad they have this rule. Both MLB and the NFL have a tradition worth defending, a tradition that would be cheapened by goofy names like "Wild" and "Heat."

So the NHL, around since 1917 in its current incarnation, doesn't have this same tradition, even though it is older than the NFL? I'm lost on that one... :blink:

Hmm, the CFL--all teams with an "S".

(there was a team called the Posse during the US experiment--but they folded after a year--and were a terrible team)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

forgetting the miami HEAT, are we?

No. He said the NBA doesn't have the rule requiring names to end in "S".

I remember when the Oilers moved to Tennessee and there was a lot of hoopla about what to name the team. During that disucssion, it seems I heard that the NFL only allows team nicknames that end in an "s".

Major League Baseball also seems to have this rule (except for the sox teams which might as well be an s)

The NHL and the NBA obviously don't have this requirement.

Back when the Jazz moved here to Utah they didn't change the name because:

• They didn't have the money. When they moved to Salt Lake the organization was financially strapped and it was quite cheaper to keep the logo and name.
  • They didn't plan on staying in Utah for that long. In fact the move was seen as temporary until the owners could find a better basketball city. They felt that if they were going to change the name to something that fit Utah, they'd end up changing it again when they moved the team within a few years. Utah was basically a commuter location for the franchise, they had hoped to relocate to either Minnesota or back east.
  • When the team was accepted and Larry Miller bought the Jazz they found that the success was a the underlining factor in keeping the name. They also wanted to play homage to the roots of the team and so they kept it.

I can understand why no one associates Jazz with Utah. However, when you think of the team's history, you think not of the New Orleans Jazz, but the Utah Jazz. It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that made the playoffs 21 straight years in a row (the 2nd longest streak in NBA history). In fact, they didn't make the playoffs once. It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that posted the 2nd highest winning percentage of any team in the 1990s (behind the Chicago Bulls). It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that posted the 14th best record in NBA history. It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that made a trip to the NBA Finals TWICE. It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that has posted has the longest streak of being at or above .500 (Utah's streak is an NBA record 21 years). It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that John Stockton played for when he became the NBA's all-time leader in assists and steals. It wasn't the New Orleans Jazz that Karl Malone played for when he became the second leading scorer in NBA history, or MVP of the league twice.

Sorry, but Utah shouldn't have to change its name because the history of the Jazz, while it may have started in New Orleans, has its foundation in Utah. The biggest moments in team history took place in Salt Lake City, NOT New Orleans. In Jazz fans minds, Utah and Jazz sound as natural together as Homer and Marge, Stockton and Malone, cheese and pizza, beer and football. I guess we Jazz fans don't really give a rats ass if other fans think the name sucks, or doesn't fit Utah.

We like it just fine! :D

smallchampccs.jpg

comavatar.gif

Back when the Jazz moved here to Utah they didn't change the name because:

[*]They didn't have the money. When they moved to Salt Lake the organization was financially strapped and it was quite cheaper to keep the logo and name.

et cetera

New Orleans - home of american jazz

Utah - the beehive site

Switching them when the Hornets moved to NO would have solved both. :D

(Yes I know hornets and bees arent the same but its close.)

That move happened 24 years after the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City. Plus, as I went on to say, the history of JAZZ isn't within New Orleans any more. It's within Salt Lake City.

Hardly anything came out of the 5 years the Jazz played in New Orleans. Why should they give it back?

smallchampccs.jpg

comavatar.gif

Archived