Greensboro Bats are now the...

Brian in Boston

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name is alright. It is definitely a downgrade from Bats, but they are minor league and the team will be playing their games on grass, right? The logo, however, is uninspiring.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I can see the newspaper headlines already:

Grasshoppers get squished

Horrible name change.

squished, crushed, eaten alive, yeah, I know don't what they were thinking. But a lot of names can be made into funny headlines.

I saw, I came, I left.

Anybody remember the original Greensboro Bats logo from 1994? The one that completely ripped off BATMAN? It had a cartoonish baseball player in a Batman mask and cape (but wearing a pin stripe baseball uni) swinging a bat. I'm pretty sure they got in trouble with D.C. Comics/Warner Communications and had to change it to the "true bat" (well, true bat in a cartoon sort of way) logo.

By the way, there was an old USISL soccer team called the Birmingham Grasshoppers back in the mid-late 1990s.....

It is what it is.

I like it. The logo and the name are minor-leagueish...

...which is good, since they are in the minor leagues.

Having funky names and logos and colors in Minor League Baseball is part of the fun of Minor League Baseball. Would these logos and names work in any Major sport? no, but in the minors it works.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

living in Greensboro I must say, this solidifies our destinction of "hick". I liked the originial idea of going back to the Greensboro Patriots... but another finalist name was the Dirt Bags.

But hey, I've got tickets for the opening of the stadium so I'll probably pick up a jersey..

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Yeah, i like taking a bit of a risk with the name.. and i think it works here. Well done.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Dirt Bags actually could have been better, seeing as how that's the name used by the Long Beach State baseball team. But, my Lord, Grasshoppers? What were they thinking?

VmWIn6B.png

The name is cool, always good to see a creative new name, but I think logo sucks. First of all, green and orange are great combo, but those two pantones they picked are not the best choice, second the font is so boring while the hoper is too busy, and the logo altoghether could be done differently not just as wordmark and mascot put together. Oh well, this one goes to the drain.

Archived