MLB Fonts

eriqjaffe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I look at it, the less I like it.

Doesn't work at all with the Wishbone C, so we've got a new Nationals problem - a uniform designed with everything micro-matched down to the last detail except the cap logo.

Had they even kept block numbers, it would be okay.

For the random person who still wants to know what these two new fonts are...

D-Backs (Baseball)

Reds (Also Baseball)

Just clearing this up.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Doesn't work at all with the Wishbone C, so we've got a new Nationals problem - a uniform designed with everything micro-matched down to the last detail except the cap logo.

Funny, I was just going to say that the typeface itself is growing on me, but not as something the Reds should use. As for across-the-board uniformity, I don't know if varsity serif would look good for the Cincinnati wordmark. Maybe just varsity block for city, name, numbers, varsity serif for REDS. I was experimenting with the Blackhawks font in bold for names, and I like the way that looks. It's slightly different than normal block. Wider, I guess?

EDIT: This would be a good font for the Astros, Rangers, or Rockies. It has a kind of old-timey Western feel that lends itself to newer teams with more thought-out identities, so to speak. A team like the Reds should be as clean and simple as it gets. You don't need to visually tie it in with Cincinnati (how does one make a visual tie-in with Cincinnati, anyway?), or trip over yourself to look "old-timey base-ball," either.

Much appreciated. The Cininnati font is going to come in useful for me. I like the old style fonts for some projects I fequently work on.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Viscerally, I agree with you, but I also realize how silly is the basic premise upon which our shared aesthetic judgment in this case rests. A mismatched new jersey font is bad because of the way it doesn't match the cap logo. But a mismatched old jersey font would be just fine because we're already used to accepting the way it doesn't match the cap logo. If the Reds (or the Nationals) are wrong, then so are the Dodgers, and when trying to establish a rational basis for my gut judgment forces me to reject Dodgers unis, then I take that as a sign my gut is wrong. :P

Most of these custom team fonts seem very specific to their teams to me. Probably because for the most part they're just not very good. But I could see the new Reds font becoming a new Tuscan. It looks old-timey and baseballish, but not quite so archaic and flowery as Tuscan. (Although the number 7 is an absolute mess, but that's the only seriously flawed letter/digit shape to my eye.) I would not be surprised to see it popping up in MLB graphics starting in 2008: spring training logos and whatnot, maybe even minor league teams using it for numbers.

20082614447.png

• 4 years later...

I hope someone sees this reply!

I was google searching for MLB fonts and found this thread. I'm looking for the zip file that the member posted that has the "Angels" font.

Can anyone help me? I know it's been a few years...but thought I'd try.

TBaker14

• 5 weeks later...

Archived