sports stadiums

goalieboy82

would the Marlins than become the Miami Marlins ?

Memphi Grizzlies get ready to open up this season

Nothing new for the Twins or Vikings. The U of Minnesota also has plans for an on campus stadium but no ground broken yet

http://www1.umn.edu/stadium/index.html

that's the plan, the city and county have stated they would only put their part of the money in when they are assured the team would change their name to miami marlins. also mike lowell's contract could be voided if a plan isn't in place.

1997 | 2003

And wasn't the Miami Marlins the name of a Triple-A team?

The Marlins nickname made its first appearance in 1956 when the Triple-A franchise from Syracuse, New York moved south and into Miami Stadium. Plagued by poor attendance and other financial problems, the Triple-A franchise moved to San Juan, Puerto Rico after the 1960 season.

After the Marlins departure, South Florida's professional baseball connection had been either through hosting various Major League Spring Training sites or through Class A Florida State League entries, including several different nicknames (Marlins, Orioles and Miracle).

Miami Marlins throwback:

a_marlins_sp.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I agree Miami Marlins have a better ring then Florida Marlins, It's like they should call the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Phoenix Diamondbacks. Even though that doesn't sound very catchy as it sounded in my head

I agree Miami Marlins have a better ring then Florida Marlins, It's like they should call the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Phoenix Diamondbacks. Even though that doesn't sound very catchy as it sounded in my head

Foxboro Patriots? East Rutherford Nets? Arlington Rangers?

Let's not get carried away. :D

I'm a bit unsure about teams taking on the name of a region or state rather than a particular city. I gather the team is trying to capitalise on a larger fan/marketing base, but it doesn't make sense - teams should carry the name of the city where they play a majority of their home games.

As suggested by OMMF, let's not get too specific, but the Miami Marlins and San Francisco Warriors (or should that be Oakland) would be good places to begin with ... and where the hell is "New England" - that's like five states right?!?!?!

Cheers,

Greg

PS. The tyranny of distance, and a poor knowledge of US geography have limited my exapmples to two, but you get my drift!!!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

I'm a bit unsure about teams taking on the name of a region or state rather than a particular city.  I gather the team is trying to capitalise on a larger fan/marketing base, but it doesn't make sense - teams should carry the name of the city where they play a majority of their home games.

As suggested by OMMF, let's not get too specific, but the Miami Marlins and San Francisco Warriors (or should that be Oakland) would be good places to begin with ... and where the hell is "New England" - that's like five states right?!?!?!

Cheers,

Greg

PS. The tyranny of distance, and a poor knowledge of US geography have limited my exapmples to two, but you get my drift!!!

Just for comparison I'll list what they all would be:

NHL

East Rutherford Devils

Uniondale Islanders

Raleigh Hurricanes

Sunrise Panthers

Denver Avalanche

St.Paul Wild

MLB

Minneapolis Twins

Arlington Rangers

Phoenix Diamondbacks

Denver Rockies

Miami Marlins

NFL

Foxboro Patriots

Minneapolis Vikings

Nashville Titans

Charlotte Panthers

Tempe Cardinals

Landover Redskins

(see note below)

NBA

Oakland Warriors

Indianapolis Pacers

Minneapolis Timberwolves

East Rutherford Nets

Salt Lake City Jazz

While the NY football teams don't play in NY, Giants Stadium is in the NY metro area and therefore NY Giants and NY Jets fit. If you don't think that is true then they would be the East Rutherford Giants and Jets.

You could take a look at teams that play outside city limits too..

Start with the Glendale Coyotes and the Orchard Park Bills.

True. But the points raised above pertained to regions/states being represented in team names not how geographically correct their city names were.

Dont forget the Tempe Cardinals will be the Glendale Cardinals in 06

also the Landover Redskins

After NE first SB Sports Illustrated published that "commerative edition" it stated that in 71 the team was thinking of renaming the team the Bay State Patriots but decided against becasue their intials would have been B S

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Chicago teams:

MLB NL: Wrigleyville Cubs?

MLB AL: Cabrini Green White Sox? (kidding!)

MLS: Bridgeton Fire? (when the new stadium is done)

AHL: Rosemont Wolves?

Arena: Rosemont Rush doesn't sound too bad though.

NFL: Grant Park Bears? Now I'm just crazy.

My general feeling is that it's just fine to name a team after a state when there is only one team in that state per league.

In other words, any teams called Minnesota, Utah, Arizona and Colorado are just fine.

If you have two teams playing the same sport that are from the same state, don't use the state's name. In other words, the Florida Marlins should change to the Miami Marlins. And at least we don't have the California Angels any more.

The one except to this rule is Texas Rangers, simply because of the historic role of the Texas Rangers law enforcement group.

Now, as for a team being named for a region, as in New England Patriots, I just don't know. I live in North Dakota, but I would hate to see the Upper Midwest Twins or Upper Midwest Vikings, even though I know those teams represent Upper Midwest states, not just Minnesota.

And as long as the New England Patriots are winning, you know they're not going to go back to the Boston Patriots or become the Massachusetts Patriots.

Archived