FYI: Its Real Salt Lake

creativelysain

I realize all the faults with this name. But I like it, and I like the fact that Dallas changed to FC Dallas, and Chivas is going with it's un-American sports team name. If there is one thing you have to admit, it is kind of flattering for them to do it, given the history of soccer in Europe. It is kind of like the Japan Baseball League teams using nicknames and on top of that using English on the unis. It is to honor the American invented sport.

I agree with you that it's an attempt to tie into the history of the sport. I don't see anything wrong with that in practice, though I'm not sure that it works here.

I disagree that CD Chivas USA is somehow an "un-American" name. If you meant "non-American," I'd agree. Again, don't see that as a bad thing. But "un-American" is commonly used as "anti-American" (think stupid Congressional committees).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So long as they promise to stop partly-capitalising Real, I could actually learn to appreciate this new image. The logos are all good, and at least they've bothered to think of a silly reason for hijacking the Real name...

I disagree that CD Chivas USA is somehow an "un-American" name. If you meant "non-American," I'd agree. Again, don't see that as a bad thing. But "un-American" is commonly used as "anti-American" (think stupid Congressional committees).

OOPS! Boy did I mess that up. Yes, I meant NON-American traditional sports team name, like as in not having a city and nickname. And I don't see anything wrong with it. I like it. That's what I meant.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Poseurs is right, man. I've always just thought its a lmae-ass attempt at trying to sound like a professional European club. Instead, they just end up sounding like a bunch of Yank tools. I think the MSL should maybe just stick to traditional North American naming conventions, as opposed to ripping off European club names with histories and meaning they don't have any idea about.

What's gonna be next? PSV Chicago? Olympique Nashville?

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

ReAL SALT LAKE Supporters' Song (After all, the best clubs in Europe have them.)

ReAL SALT LAKE -

Claret, Blue and Gold,

Your players, skilled and bold,

Are taking the field.

Utah's team -

Monarchs of the pitch,

A band of brothers which

Refuses to yield!

Hail R-S-L!

We are filled with pride,

As we cheer on our side

To global renown.

ReAL SALT LAKE -

Soccer royalty,

We pledge our loyalty

To your golden crown!

Lame, lame, lame.  "Real" Madrid works because there's a freaking monarchy in Spain.  There's nothing "royal" about soccer in Utah.  Mother:censored:ing poseurs.  :evil:

Again, may I ask what is so royal about LA or Sacramento? Or Kansas City for that matter?

smallchampccs.jpg

comavatar.gif

Lame, lame, lame. "Real" Madrid works because there's a freaking monarchy in Spain. There's nothing "royal" about soccer in Utah. Mother:censored:ing poseurs. :evil:

Again, may I ask what is so royal about LA or Sacramento? Or Kansas City for that matter?

Well, you're talking about mascots or nicknames. In general, football players aren't literally "Eagles," nor baseball players "Tigers," nor basketball players "Kings." It's a conceit we've come to allow.

In the rest of the world, clubs have names that generally don't include nicknames. As I understand it, the "Real" in Real Madrid doesn't suggest that the players are royal, or Royals, or Kings...but rather that the club is (or was) affiliated w/ the monarchy.

Calling the new MLS club ReAL Salt Lake attempts to borrow from that tradition. But the name doesn't fit w/ the American mascots/nicknames format, nor the European royal affliliation. It's not a mascot. It's not a nickname. It doesn't enjoy sponsorship by a monarchy. And consequently, it doesn't make sense.

Ah, Real Salt Lake... because SLC is such a bastion of Spanish culture in America. <_<

Wherever their A-league affiliate is, I hope they change their name to "I Can't Believe It's Not Salt Lake."

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

I love the colors and the crest - can't wait to get a good look at the uniforms. I'm not crazy about the wordmark/capitalization issue - I think a well-done public relations campaign could have accomplished the same end with regard to educating the public on how the name is supposed to be pronounced.

As far as the name itself, I think it is okay in line with the business plan that MLS is apparently trying to carry out. From my perspective, MLS is attempting to build a solid base of core fans from (1) soccer enthusiasts who are knowledgeable about the global game, and (2) the hispanic population. Therefore, a name like Real Salt Lake or FC Dallas will not seem so out of place to the core target market. Adopting these types of names, which are clearly different from the mainstream names associated with athletic teams in the US will (1) lend an air of familiarity to the core target market and (2) provide the team and league with an opportunity to educate the rest of the population about global soccer traditions. So, if a passionate and consistent core emerges, it will hopefully spark interest among a broader spectrum of fans and gradually build a larger, more diverse base. This is a slow process, and it may ultimately turn out to be a huge failure, but I think it's an interesting methodology and certainly worth a try.

What's gonna be next?  PSV Chicago?  Olympique Nashville?

Celtic of Foxboro

Chicago Saint-Germain

Club Deportivo Chivas USA

DC United

Dynamo Columbus

FC Dallas

Hearts of Kansas City

LAjax

MetroCorinthians

ReAL Salt Lake

Shimizu SJ-Pulse

VfB Denver

Great suggestions Brian, the Hearts of Kansas City was truly great.

The city's logo is fountains spraying water into the shape of a heart.

I take my hat of to you...

I love the colors and the crest - can't wait to get a good look at the uniforms. I'm not crazy about the wordmark/capitalization issue - I think a well-done public relations campaign could have accomplished the same end with regard to educating the public on how the name is supposed to be pronounced.

As far as the name itself, I think it is okay in line with the business plan that MLS is apparently trying to carry out. From my perspective, MLS is attempting to build a solid base of core fans from (1) soccer enthusiasts who are knowledgeable about the global game, and (2) the hispanic population. Therefore, a name like Real Salt Lake or FC Dallas will not seem so out of place to the core target market. Adopting these types of names, which are clearly different from the mainstream names associated with athletic teams in the US will (1) lend an air of familiarity to the core target market and (2) provide the team and league with an opportunity to educate the rest of the population about global soccer traditions. So, if a passionate and consistent core emerges, it will hopefully spark interest among a broader spectrum of fans and gradually build a larger, more diverse base. This is a slow process, and it may ultimately turn out to be a huge failure, but I think it's an interesting methodology and certainly worth a try.

Good argument.

Celtic of Foxboro

Chicago Saint-Germain

Club Deportivo Chivas USA

DC United

Dynamo Columbus

FC Dallas

Hearts of Kansas City

LAjax

Metro Corinthians

ReAL Salt Lake

Shimizu SJ-Pulse

VfB Denver

Stop it!! Arrgggh!! My brain is coming out my ears now!!

You know though, they could also go full-tilt with something like Heart of Kansas City United Rovers Athletic FC.

Oh dear, I hope no owners are paying attention to this.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Archived