Detroit Lions

LimeGuy

lol, those are like the same changes. This is where they added it:

San Fran- as an outline on the numbers dark uni. An outline outside an outline on the numbers on the white jersey. Outlining the sleeve design. Outlining the stripes

Detroit: as an outline on the numbers on the blue uni. As an outline putside an outline on the white uni. two stripes outside of the sleeve. outlining the stripes.

Thats pretty much the SAME thing!!

Howard1.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hallelujah! We have ourselves a board member that sees what I am talking about!

Go PhilaLogos!

The 49ers accent is just as "pointless", yet, it is being used as the example of what to do "right".

And to reference the "busy" comment, I don't remember who said it, but I know it was said.

time to dig up my Lions concept from a little while back, which had basically (aside from teh font) done right what the Lions f-ed up.

i did modify the logo slightly, and this would be an example of how to integrate black instead of forcing it. as you may have noticed as early as last year, the helmet and pant stripes are inconsistent (helmet version: black is between blue and white; pant version: black is outside the blue; the Niners' helmet and pant stripes are also inconsistent) and teh Northwestern striping looks forced for the simple reason that the stripes in those little gaps have enough white striping to throw everything off. I never got around to changing the font on my concept (when I do i'll just go with block) but you get the idea.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Um...

Uh...

I don't really see a big difference. Except for the consistency in the black location for the stripe, and missing the neck outline, I see no difference at all.

I really don't think we're arguing, anymore... Well, I think we are, but I don't think we're on opposite sides of the fence...

I don't really see a big difference. Except for the consistency in the black location for the stripe, and missing the neck outline, I see no difference at all.

Then you're not looking.

The black on the Niners' change was integrated into the striping pattern on the sleeve, not just wrapped around the entire existing striping pattern. Note also that they added the logo there, making another change that worked well. That wouldn't work so well for the Lions, I don't think, but it's worth illustrating.

The neckline for the Lions' change is one of the major problems with it. Sloppy, absolutely sloppy. That the Niners didn't mess with that portion of the jersey, leaving it single-coloured, makes that a significant difference.

As for the numbers, the Niners went from single-colour numbers to three-colour shadowed numbers. The change was significant. The lions went from two-colour numbers to three-colour numbers by simply adding black as the third outline. Not that I disagree with this choice, necessarily--though it looks a little awkward on the blue jersey.

The Niners already had a black outline on their logo, but modified it slightly to include a gold outline inside of the black outline, slightly modifying the shape of the internal circle. It's a pretty noticable difference, and one for the better. Myself, I like the outline on the Lions' helmet logo, I think it makes it pop on the silver helmet. The helmet striping, however, was again just to add black around the outsides, which doesn't seem to jive with how it was used to outline the logo--the order of the colours for each is different, on the same piece of equipment. The Niners' helmet does suffer a little of the same effect, it could probably use a white stripe somewhere in there.

The Niners' change was definitely much more involved than the Lions'. I don't disagree with all parts of the Lions' addition of black; in some cases, it really works, like on the helmet logo. But it just looks like there was very little thought put into the process, short of "let's just outline the stuff in black."

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

the black is subtler on the 49ers unis.

No it isn't... except for the collar, it is the same thing!

even if they are the same additions, doesn't make it look good. the lions adding black looks like crap. For, oh, the entire history of the NFL, those 4 teams from the NFC North never changed much. That is until the Lions threw that all away. Vikings altered slightly their stripes, and the color purple. But they didn't add black.

Looks bad. Looks like a high school team that wanted to be "cool" and wore black undershirts and socks with their regular school colors.

I'm a Lions fan that lives in metro Detroit, and I think that the black makes the other colors stand out and look sharper/cleaner. There's a real upright sensibility that I get from them, especially the blue ones. I'd be quick to point out the obligatory use of black when it isn't needed, but there aren't any true qualms that I have with it in this case.

While the Lions are on this progressive move, why not add a secondary?

When the Lions changed their uniforms, I was hoping they would darken the blue. Not as dark as, say, Michigan's blue, but darker than Honolulu Blue.

My Lions Home Concept

My Lions Road Concept

I like the Lions throwbacks, but I thought a few things needed to be added if they were going to be used full-time.

1. A Lions logo on the helmets (but no stripes); blue facemask

2. Silver-on-white-on-black numbers

3. Lions logo on the sleeves

4. Numbers on the shoulders (same color idea as #2)

5. Keep the all silver pants

6. Darken the blue

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

As pcgd mentioned earlier, I have done a Lions uni in Navy, which would only be an alternate.

So I went and did this version as a Home uni.

Lionscon.gif

To me, the black is an afterthought, much like many others have mentioned.

I've tried to incorporate the dark colour, in this case Navy as a contrast, not just something stuck around the outside of whatever we had there in the first place.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Is it possible that the Lions only added black as a step to creating a black alternate jersey?  Remember, in the NFL, you can only use a color for an alternate jersey if it's in your team colors.

Are you cynical enough to suggest a team would adopt a particular colour, simply to cash in on increased revenues by bringing out an alternate shirt that will sell well?

I guess it beats trying to win games and raise money through that traditional means.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Even IF the 49ers update is identical to the Lions, well, I'm allowed to hate it and trash it cause I , unlike most, DONT hold up the Niners as "the way" to do it.

Although the Niners new dudes carry off black about 50% better than the Lions do, I still think SF trashed some really wonderful unis and could've updated them better.

Someday......oh someday. When I've got nothing but time on my hands I intend on putting out the "Sterling" NFL sets........which is not to say all your opinions don't count or anything.........just something I've always wanted to do.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I am actually glad the Lions stayed with the brighter blue. Going to "jump on the bandwagon" with a darker blue seems to be the "in" thing lately.

Bills, Pats, Cowboys, Titans, Chargers, Broncos, Rams, Texans, and Seahawks all have a similar shade of the same color. (OK, the Seahawks are a bit of a stretch, but bare with me). That is 9 teams out of 32 with the same basic color! If the Lions did it, too, then that would be 10 of 32.

What happened to diversity in the NFL? How about other colors? The black phenomenon seems to be infectious, too.

Why is darker better? The Buccaneers were great in orange. Update the designs, not the color scheme. Where are the traditionalists for that one? The Eagles "midnight green" was a serious move towards "blue" in my opinion and it may work, but a brighter green would have been fine, too.

Back on the Lions, specifically, the black looks good. It isn't too much, it isn't too intrusive and it isn't so drastic that you have to go buy up a whole new fan wardrobe.

The problem with throwbacks, in my opinion, is that they LOOK like they are from the 60s and 70s. Take a moment to think about what that means. Bell bottoms. Massive use of the color orange. Big lapels.

If it looks like an old league, then how can it be "cutting edge"?

Even IF the 49ers update is identical to the Lions, well, I'm allowed to hate it and trash it cause I , unlike most, DONT hold up the Niners as "the way" to do it.

Although the Niners new dudes carry off black about 50% better than the Lions do, I still think SF trashed some really wonderful unis and could've updated them better.

I really think the 49ers have the best uniforms in the entire league right now. What is not to like?

Archived