NBA to alter 3 point rule

OMMF

I might be wrong, but isn't the point of a developmental league to get players ready for the pros? How do you do that when the rules are so different?

NEW YORK -- The NBA has no plans to change its rules for the 3-point shot, though it will proceed with an experiment for its developmental league in which all field goals will be worth two points until the final five minutes of regulation and overtime.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1902007

It's not uncommon for a league to experiment with rules in its minor or developmental leagues. The AHL has a number of experimental rules this season: 2-foot wide blue lines and a marked area behind the goal to limit the goalies' puck handling skills, for starters. If the NHL likes the results from these rule changes, it will implement them possibly next season (whenever that is).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's not uncommon for a league to experiment with rules in its minor or developmental leagues. The AHL has a number of experimental rules this season: 2-foot wide blue lines and a marked area behind the goal to limit the goalies' puck handling skills, for starters. If the NHL likes the results from these rule changes, it will implement them possibly next season (whenever that is).

Yeah but the NHL is studying the results to see if they want to implement them. From the article, it looks like the NBA has no intention of ever doing this in the league.

That's why it's an experiment. I read the article on ESPN, and it is something the NBA might look into down the line. I don't think the NBA is definitely NOT (double negative) going to use this somewhere down the line, but they have to see how it works in the NBDL games first.

This Bugs me. You can't have scoring change its value during the game. So, a guy hits a 23 foot jumper with 5:01 remaining and gets two points. Then the opponent gets the ball, hits the SAME 23 foot jumper with 4:58 remaining and gets 3 points? That's like saying a TD play over 35 yards is six points, BUT if you score on a 35 yard play with less than 3 minutes to go, you get 9 points?? You can't do that.

Heck people usually watch NBA with 5 minutes to go as it is, they need to try something to get people to watch the first 43 minutes!!

The NFL changes a rule, where the clock stops running when a play goes out of bounds with less than 5 minutes to go in the half. That's bad enough. But, you simply can NOT mess with point values at various stages of the game.

The point of it is to hopefully increase shooting percentages. If this rule was in place, there would be no reason to take a 23-foot jumper. It's to encourage the players to get closer to the basket to attempt higher-percentage shots.

Take a look at some older NBA footage (pre-1978) or NCAA before 1984. There were hardly any shots taken from that far outside the key. The players drove closer to the basket (no one traveled, they actually dribbled the ball), and shots were taken as close to the basket as possible.

Who says you can't change point values? I give the NBA credit for wanting to experiment with different rules. They realize that ratings and attendance are down. People don't want to watch players with limited fundamental skills. If it takes an adjustment of the rules to increase the skill level of the players in the league, maybe it will bring back the fans who are tired of watching the crap that's on the court right now.

This may be a good move/

It decreases the "chuck-and-duck" part of the game.

Less 3's attempted means more 2's (from inside the arc) attempted and higher percentage shots. Scoring should increase slightly but not drastically.

As for the NBDL, those players aren't even close to NBA level talent so this 'experimentation' does not work. Unfortunately, no league is on the same level as the NBA so this proposed rule change cannot be simulated properly.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Sounds to me like it would only lead to a further deterioration in the quality of shot-making in the NBA from 18+ feet range, if you remove the best incentive for long-range shooters.

Sure it will mean defences concentrate more on stopping the inside game of the opposition and leave men open outside, but frankly giving them more open shots doesn't help to encourage players to develop better shooting skills, it just makes life easier for them with their limited skills.

I'd have thought a review of travelling calls and offensive fouls in an attempt to redress the balance between the slashing style of play and good shooting was a bigger priority.

liverpool-1.png

Obviously, there is no "need" for a 23 foot jumper. That's not my point. My point was regarding the time on the clock each shot was made.

I'm not talking about the "Style of play"... I am simply saying that there is NO way scoring should change once you reach a certain time of the game. Multi-Point scoring is fine... whatever. The scoring levels should be the same from start to finsh. I don't care if they're worth 10 poins each... (well, I do)... it just has to be throughout the game.

This isn't Mtv "Rock-N-Jock".

Archived