What is the single greatest sporting event......

the_cynic

What is the single greatest sporting event you've attended?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 14, 1988.

Early afternoon: Went to Fenway Park. Watched Old-Timers game before regular scheduled game.

Late afternoon: Watched Roger Clemens & Boston Red Sox defeat Seattle Mariners 3-0.

Evening: Wales Conference Championship, game 7. Boston Bruins defeat New Jersey Devils 6-2, advance to Stanley Cup Finals.

I was also one of the 1.5 million fans in Boston attending a parade for the 2002 Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots. Did I mention it was early February and the temperature was 10 degrees?

EDIT: I almost forgot...2000 AHL All-Star Game in Rochester, NY. Got to stand in line for fries next to Willie O'Ree.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Being 22 and from the Philly area I have not been witness to many great sporting moments. All the ones there were in my lifetime I saw on TV (the Phillies in '93 NLCS, Sixers-Lakers game one 2001 finals, Flyers Cup runs, Millwood's No-hitter, Muholland and Greene's no-hitters).

The one interesting game I saw in person was in 1991. Pirates 11- Phillies 0. Why was it interesting? Doug Drabek threw 8 2/3 of no-hit ball. With 2 outs in the ninth all 58,000 of us Phillies fans suddenly were cheering for Doug Drabek to make history. The Phillies inexplicably pinch hit for Lenny Dykstra. They sent up Sil F'N Campusano. He unded up slicing a 2-1 pitch under the glove of diving shortstop Jay Bell. But then again, thats our Phillies, they can't even lose correctly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

August 4, 1992, Arlington, TX.

I was at the only game in Nolan Ryan's career that he got ejected from.

The Rangers were playing Oakland, and Nolan threw a ball up and in to Willie Wilson. It was obviously an erroneous pitch, but Willie thought Nolan was trying to hit him. Without warning, Rich Garcia (the WORST umpire in the history of MLB) ejected Nolan, which caused a firestorm of trash to be thrown onto the field. I was one of the bleacher bums who threw trash (I threw my nacho plate onto the warning track).

After this incident, Rich Garcia became the most hated man in the American League among fans in D/FW.

tyson.jpg

Well more on a personally-sacred scale:

May 2004- Kansas City Royals vs Boston Red Sox- Pokey Reese knocks 2 HRs and David McCarty hits one as Boston beats the Royals

April 1997- Last Hartford Whalers game. Now THAT brought MANY tears to my eyes.

Ticket prices are too high, so I don't go to many games.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

-1997 AFL Grand Final was alright

-2000 Sydney Olympics was better, i saw Perkins win the 1500m in the pool and Freeman win the 400m on the track and also saw Yao Ming play for China when tey played New Zealand and saw Spain v Angola in basketball

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Probably a few Mets/Braves games. In term of excitement and everything in the stands, gotta be Mets/Braves during the whole Rocker thing....

In terms of a great game, I went to a June 30, 2000, Mets/Braves game, Mets are down 8 in the 8th inning, score 10 runs and win.

Been a few "great" Army games for football I've been to.

I probably screwed my dates up for the years, but thats fine...

I guess in terms of "historic" that would be the final Montreal Expos home game (remember them kiddies?)

I also went to an OHL game in which there was a massive brawl between the benches, sticks were being thrown at the other benches. They had to end the period prematurely. A few days later the league announced massive suspensions, including one player receiving 25 games. I think uncle_wiggily was at that game with me.

A few other fun ones...

Aug 2002 - Expos/Dodgers, Dodgers win 1-0 as Shawn Green throws out Vladdie Guerrero at the plate in the 9th inning with 2 out... that's excitement folks!

Oct 2001 & Sep 2003 - Twice I'm there as Roy Halladay takes a no-hitter into the 8th inning, and 2 outs. I'll get my no-hitter one day!

Mar 2003 - Ken Huckaby tags out Derek Jeter and breaks Jeter's shoulder in the process. Jeter blames Huckaby for not letting him reach safely and therefore injuring his shoulder.

Jul 2002 - Benches and bullpens empty in a game between the Jays and Rays, no punches thrown though :(

Mar 2002 - The Senators outshot the Thrashers 52-17, but Dany Heatley pockets one in overtime for the 2-1 Thrashers win. Dan Snyder gets ejected for smokin' Sami Salo, awesome game.

Sep 2004 - The lights go out, and stay out for an hour, at SkyDome before a game between the Jays and Yankees... 40,000 fans stuck outside the stadium are not happy, the game is delayed an hour and a half. Later that game a Yankees fan complains to me that a kid is saying "Jeter Sucks", I tell her there's nothing wrong with that, it's a baseball game not a chess match.

Oh, and notice Delgado's 4 homers aren't on here? Because that's one of the 3 games I had off in 2003 :cursing:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Twi has me beat, but mine was close. Game Two of the 98 Cup Finals in Detroit. Wings beat Capitals in overtime, coming back from two goals down twice.

(I still get chills thinking about that game!)

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I also went to an OHL game in which there was a massive brawl between the benches, sticks were being thrown at the other benches. They had to end the period prematurely. A few days later the league announced massive suspensions, including one player receiving 25 games. I think uncle_wiggily was at that game with me.

Was that the one against Barrie? I was there, that was NUTS

I was at the 97 or 98 (can't remember the year) CFL Eastern Final, Montreal at Toronto. The crowd was hot for everything that happened. And teh Argos won.

and March 28th 2002 I was at the last game of the North Bay Centenials. just the emotion of the crowd after the game showed how much this team meant to the community. now I have nothing to do on my weekends, stupid North Bay

and for you pro wrestling fans, Summerslam 2004 in the ACC

I haven't been to many games that would have any sort of signifigance or anything like that... but the funnest game I've been to was either a Colorado Mammoth lacrosse game where with 50 seconds left and the game pretty much already won for the Mammoth, there was about 15-20 minutes worth of fighting... or game 3 of the Nuggets/T-Wolves playoff series, amazing game especially with the Nuggets winning handily throughout.

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm just going to list them in no particular order:

- Game 4 1995 Stanley Cup finals

- Game 4 2001 World Series

- Game 7 2003 Stanley Cup finals

- Game 7 2003 ALCS (Boone's home run)

- 2002 Masters

There are more, being a Devils and Yankees fan has allowed me to see some great games. And in the Yankees case I've seen arguably 2 of the greatest postseason games ever. If the Yankees hold on to this lead I have tickets to game 7 of the world series.

Game 4, 1998 NBA Western Conference Finals, Utah Jazz vs. Los Angeles Lakers, Great Western Forum. Memorable for the numerous Jazz fans holding brooms in the stands, as well as for a drunk Jazz fan with a sign that said "Hey Lakers! When's Tee Time?" being ejected. Good times.

VmWIn6B.png

Medal Round game Winter Olympics--Soviets vs the Czechs

CFL Wetern Semi Final--Stamps vs Lions--Stamps knock bothLion QB's out of the game and trounce them (No repeat this year)--One QB is Ottawa Coach Joe Paopao then the Lions QB...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived