Springfield Cardinals move official

Kess

The Texas League and the St. Louis Cardinals today annouced that the El Paso Diablos' sale and move to Springfield is complete and the Springfield Cardinals will play in Hammons Field in 2005 (home opener April 12 vs. Tulsa). They also unveiled the official logos.

The primary logo will be on both the home and road jerseys. It's the "Birds on Bat" with a St. Louis-style "Springfield" script.

The alternate logo is the Springfield "S" interlocking with the single bird on bat. It will be on both the home and road caps.

My personal favorite is the third logo, which will be used as a sleeve patch on the unis. It's an outline of the state of Missouri, with "Springfield", a bird, a ball, blue representing the area lakes and waterways, the Ozark Mountains in green and a representation of the Springfield city skyline.

ShoulderPatch.jpg

As a Springfield native and a life-long resident of southwest Missouri I am incredibly geeked that this is all official now and we can finally celebrate affiliated ball in Springfield. The team is owned by the St. Louis Cardinals - hence the logos - and the name references a Cardinals' Class-C Western League team that played in Springfield from 1930-1942.

This webpage has great pictures of Hammons Field, for those who haven't seen it.

Hey Pantone, I'm looking forward to the Springfield Cardinals avatar/banner in time for Opening Day, 2005. I have a scan of the logos in .tiff format. I don't know if they'd be of any use to you or not.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

No hurry, Pantone. I'm still too busy basking in the glow and flashing forward to what it's going to feel like sitting in that gorgeous yard and cheering for the Cardinals. ^_^

I have the pictures I took at the press conference that I posted here, plus the scans from the press release. I didn't know if you might want or need them for the SSUR website until you can get your hands on the real deal. Let me know if you do.

Kess - if you don't mind, it would be great to use your pics on the SSUR. I'm WAY behind on updates again (what else is new?), but I was planning to get to them this weekend.

I'll give you credit as well.

I'm going to go back to the "Requests" forum and revive my Minor League Baseball Avatars and Signatures thread. I should put together a Diablos set for posterity.

I think the Diablos were a team in serious need of a overhaul in regards to their look (especially their color-scheme), but still...

Is it just me or does the S in the alt look the same as the S in the Tennessee Smokies logo?

I think it is the same "S" as the Smokies used on their caps. It's very similar to the capital S in the St. Louis Cardinals' word mark - just a little bit different.

From sportslogos.net

Blackjack76 - I didn't get the chance to meet the GM at the press conference, though I have been impressed with what I've seen and heard about him. Plus he's brother-in-law to one the assistant men's basketball coaches at Southwest Missouri State - my alma mater. He seems like a perfect fit for the job.

I'm happy that Springfield is getting a team- they deserve it. But the Diablos are losing their legacy- they were one of the best minor league teams when it came to game promotions. Total family atmosphere is what this team was all about.

tyson.jpg

Archived