NBA International vs. Europe All-Star Game

Retromaniac

In NBA Live 2005, I noticed that there are All-Star teams for Europe and one for the rest of the World (excluding the United States). The latter is known as the International All-Stars, the former is known as the European All-Stars. I was wondering if there has ever been an All-Star game like this, or if this is just an idea EA Sports had. Perhaps it was merely an exhibition game. Either way, it seems like an interesting idea. Perhaps have it every year the Summer Olympics occur. The next International NBA All-Star Game in that case would be in the 2007-08 season, at the same time as the Beijing Olympics.

This brings to mind the NHL's temporary switching to international format in the 1997-98 season. If they had used an international All-Star Game only when a Winter Olympics occurred, it would have occurred in 1998 and later in 2002. The first for Nagano, the second for Salt Lake City. The next would be in 2006 for Torino.

I believe that having occasional international All-Star Games would be nice if we excluded the United States. The US is too nt in All-Star Games. How about an international MLB All-Star Game? Lot's of Asians and Latinos in baseball. It would be interesting. However, I doubt it would work in football.

Archived