Favorite MLB Road unis

marlinfan

so i was watching the world series and kept wondering why i was so drawn to the cardinals' road unis, they looked different then those of other teams. then i finally saw it the jerseys have a hint of blue in the gray. so i came up with my top 5 and bottom 5 of all the mlb road unis.

Top 5:

1) St. Louis

2) Los Angeles

3) Detroit

4) Seattle

5) Texas

Honorable Mention: Montreal

Bottom 5:

1) San Diego

2) Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona (pinstripes+road= NO)

3) Tampa Bay

4) Toronto

5) Chicago (AL)

Honorable mentions: San Francisco, Florida (Florida's road uni is extremely plain.)

1997 | 2003

Here's my Top 5:

1) Boston

2) Los Angeles

3) Atlanta

4) N.Y. Mets

5) Seattle

Honourable mention: EXPOS

My bottom 5:

1) Kansas City

2) Houston

3) Colorado

4) Toronto

5) Florida (w/black alts)

Honourable mention: Cincinnati & White Sox (Stripes are too thick.)

Top 5

1. Mets

2. Dodgers

3. White Sox

4. Yankees

5. Devil Rays

Not Cardinals elimianted for not saying St. LOuis I feel all road unsi shoudl say city name. I once saw a nice St Louis script with the Cards on the bat that would look awesome on the road unis.

Bottom 5.

1. Padres

2. Rockies

3. Twins

4. Diamondbacks

5. Blue Jays

All road unis with pinstripes are terrible.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

TOP 5

1. San Diego (blue alt top with the sand pants)

2. Los Angeles

3. Tampa Bay

4. Detroit

5. St. Louis

Honorable Mention: Mets, Texas

BOTTOM 5

30. Cubs

29. Kansas City (bring back those baby blues)

28. Yankees

27. San Francisco

26. Philadelphia

Honorable Mention: White Sox, Colorado

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I thought I'd take this opportunity to address the various road jersey colors used by MLB teams. I'll show them grouped by individual color, and the asterisk (*) will indicate changes for 2005:

Group 1:

ANAHEIM ANGELS GRAY *

KANSAS CITY ROYALS GRAY *

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES GRAY

Group 2:

ATLANTA BRAVES GRAY

BALTIMORE ORIOLES GRAY

BOSTON RED SOX GRAY

CHICAGO CUBS GRAY

CHICAGO WHITE SOX GRAY

CLEVELAND INDIANS GRAY

FLORIDA MARLINS GRAY

HOUSTON ASTROS GRAY

NEW YORK YANKEES GRAY

OAKLAND ATHLETICS GRAY

PITTSBURGH PIRATES GRAY *

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS GRAY

TORONTO BLUE JAYS GRAY

Group 3:

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS GRAY

CINCINNATI REDS GRAY

COLORADO ROCKIES GRAY

DETROIT TIGERS GRAY

LOS ANGELES DODGERS GRAY *

MILWAUKEE BREWERS GRAY

MINNESOTA TWINS GRAY

MONTREAL EXPOS GRAY **

NEW YORK METS GRAY

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS GRAY

SEATTLE MARINERS GRAY

TAMPA BAY DEVIL RAYS GRAY *

TEXAS RANGERS GRAY

Group 4:

SAN DIEGO PADRES KHAKI

Obviously, Montreal/Washington will possibly change, depending what they come up with.

The MLB does not list road uniform colors as "official" colors...and they tend to change all the time. And because of this, they don't have Pantone Textile designations either. I have been able to piece this information together using the official art files, and then figuring out the Textile, Thread and Process color equivalents based on other examples of these colors (used in uniforms or logos).

It is my quest (!) to get the MLB to start recognizing these colors in an official manner...

and what is wrong with the Giants road uni?  :therock:

It's gray, like every other road uniform. I'm sorry Pantone, but if you ask me, most of the time gray is just gray. That said, here's my list:

Best:

1. Padres, for not being fluffing gray.

2. Yankees, because I'm an extreme homer.

Worst:

1-28. Everyone else. Whoever had the idea that every game should be white vs. gray is an idiot. Thank you, first guy, for creating alternate jerseys.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

TOP 5 ROAD JERSEYS

1. 1984 Cubs (well, the blue pullovers used throughout the '80s)

2. 1990 Cubs (particular Chicago wordmark used only one year, would love to get my hands on one of those)

3. 1982 Cubs (light blue with white pinstripes and the 'madcub' patch on the sleeve... yes, I like road unis with pinstripes -- in moderation)

4. 1994-1996 Cubs (the 'Cuba' script)

5. 1972 Cubs (gray pullover with centered number on front and red/white/blue trim)

BOTTOM 1

1. Current Cubs... like the fact it says Chicago, just comes off a little boring to me. Would like the Cubs to mix it up a bit more on the road uni. This one's had its time. I like prefer the blue for the road, but don't like the alt logo so much as the primary. Also would like to see more blue numbers, less red on the gray roads... wouldn't care if they lost the red-billed cap.

Oh wait, this wasn't favorite Cubs road unis of all-time? Sorry about that.

Top 5:

1) Montréal

2) Los Angeles

3) Detroit

4) NY Mets

5) Houston

Honorable mention: Minnesota

Bottom 5:

1) Florida

2) Toronto

3) Colorado

4) Tampa Bay

5) Philadelphia

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

BEST:

Boston

St. Louis

(good WS matchup, eh?)

Oakland

Chi Sox

Baltimore

WORST:

San Diego

Arizona

Rockies

Twins (My team, but I agree that pinstripes should not be on roads)

Cubs/Tigers--two teams with great home jerseys that have never been able to get the roads just right.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't care for the team, but IMHO the Pittsburgh Pirates road uni is tops in the NL.

pG01-966484reg.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Twins (My team, but I agree that pinstripes should not be on roads)

I like those pinstripes in road. It remembers me those old unis until (I believe) the '50.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

My top five road uniforms (from best on down), with a little explanation:

1. Dodgers. It's a classic look from way back, and looks even better with the script "Los Angeles" that was used in the first 10 or so years after they moved to LA.

2. Mariners. A clean look and a classic look that makes it seem as if the Mariners organization has been around longer than it has.

3. Cardinals. I usually don't like switching colors of caps for road uniforms (the A's road cap is AWFUL), but it works for the Cards.

4. Red Sox. Again, a classic look which is much better since they went to the fancy lettering on "BOSTON."

5. Cubs. Nice coloring, nice lettering.

Now, worst five road uniforms, from worst on up:

1. Rockies. Awful look, awful font, awful colors. And their home uniforms are even worse. It almost looks as if the unis say "ROOKIES" instead of "ROCKIES."

2. Blue Jays. Will somebody tell the folks in Toronto that if you have a team named Blue Jays, you use blue as a primary color, not black or gray.

3. Reds. It looks like a cown's suit.

4. Astros. The brick looks awful with gray.

5. Royals. It's enough to make me miss the baby blues that George Brett wore during his Pine Tar Game.

Oh, and by the way ...

The best baseball uniform, home or away or combined, is the Yankees. The road uniform is so-so (I kind of wish they'd go back to the look of the 1961 Yankees), but that home uniform is so good that it makes up for anything wrong with the road uni. The interlocking NY, the pinstripes, the tradition ... what more can be said? Even Yankee haters have to admire that home uniform because it's what a baseball uniform should look like.

As for the worst, home or away or combined, is the Rockies for reasons listed above. Denver deserves better.

Archived