San Francisco gets 2007 MLB All-Star Game

Puckguy14

According to the SF Chronicle, MLB has given the 2007 MLB All-Star Game to SBC Park and the Giants. This seems an interesting move, since there is speculation that Bonds could retire in 2006, which makes the 2007 ASG potentially disappointing. With that said however, this could be revenue generating idea by the Giants since their poster boy could be gone. Nonetheless! ASG by the Bay and in the Cove. I smell a $1 million target at the glove!

It seems a crime that Yankee Stadium hasn't had an All-Star Game in my lifetime.....

An All-Star Game should be held when the greatest baseball stars have played.

I thought I read somewhere that George Steinbrenner is the reason Yankee Stadium hasn't hosted an All-Star Game in forever. Something about him refusing to put money into renovations. I can't remember specifically, but from what I know, he doesn't want to host the game.

Well, if they are going to have the All-Star game decide home-field advantage then they should have the game alternate. This is a big advantage for the NL because AL pitchers don't hit and thus have a hard time bunting. The AL should not be punished because the NL was slow in getting new parks. When the AL had new stadiums the game alternated with 3 rivers and the Vet hosting games.

Wrigley had it in 1990, and Boston still has plans for a new Fenway Park. If I remember correctly, the new ballpark will be set up the same, with more seats and the same dimensions. Where Fenway now sits, it will keep the field, but I forget what else is going to be there.

So the list in no particular order for likely hosts are (last All-Star Game held):

Anaheim (1989)

Tampa Bay (never)

Arizona (never)

San Diego (1992)

St. Louis (I forget sorry Cards fans! :P)

Washington (Way too long to remember)

Florida, if they get a ballpark (never)

I missed it, who has it in 06?

Personally, I think they should have it at Mexico City, or Japan..every once in a while.

Pittsburgh..... :cursing:

Pittsburgh will host its second All-Star game in 12 years in 2006, which is a shame since there are so many other parks that haven't hosted one in many years. That being said, PNC Park is gorgeous:

g_pncpark_il.jpg

Archived