Players in Rare jerseys

Brass

continuing in the same vein, sorry not a very good pic

Archie Manning as a Minnesota Viking

44_1_b.JPG

Archie Manning. Yuk. I bet if you found won-loss records for quarterbacks the way they keep them for starting pitchers in baseball you'd find he was probably the biggerst loser in the history of NFL football. Personal statistics aside, he played for some of the worst teams ever.

11 full seasons in New Orleans - Best record 8-8. Average record 4-10. Overall record 45-114.

So, he finally leaves, (is kicked out?) of New Orleans and goes to Houston. Houston's final W/L 1-8.

Next? The historically competitive Minnesota Vikings. The result? The worst season in franchise history as the Vikings put up a 3-13 record.

While he may have been respected as an individual player, being the leader of all those teams must say something about him being at least cursed or worse, having a losers psyche after all those dismal records.

No wonder he didn't want the Chargers to draft Eli. He didn't want his son to have to go through what he did playing for an incompetent franchise his entire career. What happens? San Diego goes 12-4. :D

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

44_1_b.JPG

Archie Manning. Yuk. I bet if you found won-loss records for quarterbacks the way they keep them for starting pitchers in baseball you'd find he was probably the biggerst loser in the history of NFL football. Personal statistics aside, he played for some of the worst teams ever.

11 full seasons in New Orleans - Best record 8-8. Average record 4-10. Overall record 45-114.

So, he finally leaves, (is kicked out?) of New Orleans and goes to Houston. Houston's final W/L 1-8.

Next? The historically competitive Minnesota Vikings. The result? The worst season in franchise history as the Vikings put up a 3-13 record.

While he may have been respected as an individual player, being the leader of all those teams must say something about him being at least cursed or worse, having a losers psyche after all those dismal records.

No wonder he didn't want the Chargers to draft Eli. He didn't want his son to have to go through what he did playing for an incompetent franchise his entire career. What happens? San Diego goes 12-4. :D

I agree that Archie is the perfect example of something that seems rarely understood in sports - the role of interrelationships between players, teammates, teams, coaches, front office, and owner in achieving success. Archie had the skills; it was the terrible Saints organization, the revolving door coaching staff, idiotic draft choices, cocaine in the locker room, you name it, at one point or another, it's all contributed to making the man's career - and Saints history - what it was.

Had Steve Young stayed in the Tampa Bay organization of that era, or had Brett Favre stayed in the then Atlanta organization, had Joe Montana been drafted by the Cardinals or Tom Brady by, well, the Saints...wouldn't their legacies be a lot different? People here in Atlanta say, "Good God, we let Brett Favre get away!" Guess what? It doesn't matter because he never would have excelled as a Falcon anyway.

Or, take Denver's running backs. Sure, part of greatness is the back's skills, but if your offensive line is making Peterbilt-sized holes, even an average back is going get the yards. That's why they're making 6th round draft choices into Pro Bowlers.

Further proof is what happens when a player leaves in free agency at the top of his game and basically disappears from the face of the earth. Without the same quality supporting cast, a player never again plays at his highest level. Speaking of, isn't Warren Sapp still playing out west somewhere?

Take Archie out of Ole Miss and plug him in as a Cowboy or a 49er or a Packer when those teams had the organizations that won Super Bowls, and I promise you he'd have been hefting the Lombardi Trophy too. He got about as raw a deal as anybody when it comes to the circumstances of his career.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Hope these haven't been posted yet.

Not really a jersey one, but here's Carlos Delgado as catcher (as was his original position).

str200.jpg

[Does anyone have a picture of Delgado when he was #21 on the Jays?]

Roger Clemens wearing #12 before switching to #22.

12-99-memories-clemens.jpg

Article on players switching numbers (it's from 2001, but still pretty neat). http://www.sptimes.com/News/041201/Sports/...numbers_g.shtml

Jari Kurri as a Duck:

kurri_numminen.jpg

and a Ranger:

kurri_jagr.jpg

Luc Robitaille as a Ranger:

luc1.gif

44.gif

JT Snow as an Angel...oh the memories!

JT%20Snow%20makes%20a%20by-the-book%20out%20at%20first%20Aug.%209,%201995.jpg

You've also got Wally Joyner as a Royal!

Also, JT Snow as a Yankee!

snowud.jpg

Woah. Im so used to him being the Giants first baseman that i forget that he used to be on the Angels, and i never knew he was a Yank

Could we just take a second to appreciate those Royals uniforms? Simple, elegant and classic.

Manute Bol during his stellar stint with the Indianapolis Ice

a_bol_i.jpg

hockey01.jpg

hockey02.jpg

you feel bad for the guy when you see things like this. I'm guessing he only played one game

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

44_1_b.JPG

I agree that Archie is the perfect example of something that seems rarely understood in sports - the role of interrelationships between players, teammates, teams, coaches, front office, and owner in achieving success. Archie had the skills; it was the terrible Saints organization, the revolving door coaching staff, idiotic draft choices, cocaine in the locker room, you name it, at one point or another, it's all contributed to making the man's career - and Saints history - what it was.

Had Steve Young stayed in the Tampa Bay organization of that era, or had Brett Favre stayed in the then Atlanta organization, had Joe Montana been drafted by the Cardinals or Tom Brady by, well, the Saints...wouldn't their legacies be a lot different? People here in Atlanta say, "Good God, we let Brett Favre get away!" Guess what? It doesn't matter matter because he never would have excelled as a Falcon anyway.

Or, take Denver's running backs. Sure, part of greatness is the back's skills, but if your offensive line is making Peterbilt-sized holes, even an average back is going get the yards. That's why they're making 6th round draft choices into Pro Bowlers.

Further proof is what happens when a player leaves in free agency at the top of his game and basically disappears from the face of the earth. Without the same quality supporting cast, a player never again plays at his highest level. Speaking of, isn't Warren Sapp still playing out west somewhere?

Take Archie out of Ole Miss and plug him in as a Cowboy or a 49er or a Packer when those teams had the organizations that won Super Bowls, and I promise you he'd have been hefting the Lombardi Trophy too. He got about as raw a deal as anybody when it comes to the circumstances of his career.

Wow, what an intellegent post.

Eli.Bio.01.gif

Archived