2004 MLB Awards

Joshawaggie

But a lot of outfielders only had 4 errors. In fact, there was a lot of NL Outfielders with less than 4. there were also 11 Outfielders that played at leats 100 games and had a better fielding percentage, including teammate Larry Walker. But then again, the 3 years prior to this year he had 5 errors, 6 errors, and 6 errors.

So i'd say he was a little better this year at the routine plays.

I should add that I do think he deserved the gold glove.

Solid post there. I'd agree with all of it.

I don't think errors and field percentage is the only thing to look at. There's amazing plays that he makes that save runs that count as an out on a chance, but if he had missed the ball, it would have been a hit not an error.

Edmonds makes a lot of those plays. I know it wasn't during the time which the writers voted on, but look no further than the playoff game vs. Houston. I honestly don't remember whether it was game six or seven, but I believe it was seven. The catch he made was incredible. His back was to the ball, so he was facing the wall. The ball is to the left (his and the viewers left since he's facing the wall), but he catches right. There's either runners on 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd, or maybe even 1st and 3rd. Regardless, it's two runs that are gonna score if that ball drops. Jimmy dives out makes the catch across the body saves a couple of runs, gives his team a boost, and they win that game. It's a double probably if he doesn't catch that...not an error. But you just can't measure the importance of that catch through a stat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's my picks for the NL Gold Gloves

C- Mike Matheney STL

P- Greg Maddux CHI

1B-Derek Lee CHI

2B- Luis Castillo FLA

SS- Edgar Renteria STL

3B- Scott Rolen STL

OF- Lance Berkman HOU

Jim Edmonds STL

JD Drew ATL

Let the Cries of "Homer!!" begin :)

While you got Edmonds correct, I don't think he deserved it this year. I think his day-to-day defense slipped this year. He still makes great plays, but he boffs the routine some times.

Yes, I'm a Cubs fan. No, I'm not bitter, cuz I'd take him on my team any time.

Did you watch him day to day?

There was a span when he almost made an incredible play every other day. He still is very good on routine and more than routine but not quite great plays as well.

I remember thinking he seems to be slipping last year I think, but this year he's D was incredible.

Day to day? No. Frequently? Yes. He butchered a few plays in CF this year against the Cubs and Brewers that I saw. My boss, a big Card fan, was of the same opinion as I that Edmonds didn't deserve the Gold Glove this year.

Like I said originally, I'd still take him on my team :D

It's where I sit.

The Rookies of the Year are Bobby Crosby (AL Oakland) and Jason Bay (NL Pittsburgh). Bay becomes the first Canadian-born player and first Pirate to win a ROY award. :flagcanada:

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Roger Clemens has won an historically unpresidented seventh Cy Young Award, his first in the National League.

Rocketman now becomes the third pitcher in the history of the award (since its' inception in 1956 and subsequent split into American and National League awards in 1967) to win the Cy Young Award in both leagues, joining Hall of Fame member Gaylord Perry (AL-1972, Cleveland Indians and NL-1978, San Diego Padres) and another future Hall of Fame member like Clemens, Pedro Martinez (NL, 1997, Les Expos du Montreal [R. I. P.] and AL-Boston Red Sox, 1999 and 2000) and also gives the Houston Astros their first Cy Young winner in their franchise annals.

"Everyone place your bets now for how quick Jason Bay gets traded out of Pittsburgh. I give him a season and a half."

"And place your bets as to which team he will be traded to." :D

Over/under will be three years, and team will be most likely an over/under on a $100 million payroll.

Showalter gets the award

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Nice to see you slightly faded away with that scream, ending with a lower case 'o' ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived