Cities without bowl games

TBGKon

Hey, NYC hasn't had a bowl game since the 1960's

They also haven't had a decent football team since...

Apart from my somewhat serious suggestion of Fargo and the surprise nomination of Tijuana, all the other cities on that list are either in football dominated states or are home to a D-1 school within the immediate area.

For the record, North Dakota State, in Fargo, is now Division I, although Division I-AA. And although North Dakota is thought of more for hockey, this is actually a football and basketball hotbed -- football because of the success of North Dakota State (eight national titles in Division II) and basketball because every small town in the state has a basketball team.

For the record, North Dakota State, in Fargo, is now Division I, although Division I-AA. And although North Dakota is thought of more for hockey, this is actually a football and basketball hotbed -- football because of the success of North Dakota State (eight national titles in Division II) and basketball because every small town in the state has a basketball team.

You're right. Apologies. I, of course, meant to say 1-A school. I forget that in my own circle I can say D-1 but that is not techincally correct.

"Hey, NYC hasn't had a bowl game since the 1960's."

Unless most of you remember the old Garden State Bowl, of which I went in 1979 when Temple beat Cal. Too bad that the Owls are going to drop football after this year, being kicked out of the Big East and all. The new university president doesn't want it at all, even though they have a 2005 schedule set up. Chances of that season happening are slim and none, and slim is starting out the door.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Apart from my somewhat serious suggestion of Fargo and the surprise nomination of Tijuana, all the other cities on that list are either in football dominated states or are home to a D-1 school within the immediate area.

Actually Denver does not have a D 1-A school w/ a football program.

CU is in Bouler, which is approx. 20 miles away. CSU is in Ft. Collins which is about 55 miles away and Air Force is in Colorado Springs which is roughly 60 miles away.

The Broncos, yes have been around the longest of the pro-sports teams here and they are probably the most popular next to the Avalanche. However, the state is not football dominated, Hockey is big and so is Basketball.

Archived